News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Your #1 Bucket List golf course.
« on: September 07, 2012, 10:01:21 PM »
And why? Mine is Shinnecock Hills.

I just saw a photograph on facebook of a friend sat on the clubhouse deck having lunch and looking over the course to the windmill at NGLA....it whet my appetite again. I worked on Long Island for a summer and had my photograph taken looking over the course....I was in ore of it's beauty. I drove through the course and saw many of the holes and played many of the other courses in that area but not SH. I used to live with a tour caddy who has caddied in over 50 countries and caddied in the same amount of majors - he said in his opinion and pros he knows say it is the best 'true test/tournament' course in the world. I have seen and read many accounts of the course on this site.

Shinny would be the course I would play with only one round of golf left. What is yours and why?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Mac Plumart

Re: Your #1 Bucket List golf course.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:12:50 PM »
Dismal Doak...

I've seen this thing grow from raw land and I can't wait to tee it up there officially.  It is my #1 Bucket List golf course.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 10:21:36 PM »
Merion.For some reason it was the first great course I noticed and I remember and still have the US Open guide they sent me in the late 60s.I have been fortunate to play the other courses that I was originally interested in.I am really interested in how they fit it on the land.

Chris Newton

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »
I've always been intrigued by Fishers Island. The classic Raynor holes combined with the world class scenery there would make for an unforgettable round. It seems like such a unique place to play golf.

Ash Towe

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »
Dean,

I am organizing a bucket list trip at the moment.  I have just had my L5S1 vertebrae fused and started playing again two weeks ago after a year off.  My surgeon thinks I may need further surgery which would mean the end of my playing days.  So I have no time to waste.

My choice is also Shinnecock but for different reasons.  My first major golfing excursion was to Scotland where I was fortunate to play Murifield which I thought was great.  I have heard Shinnie described as the Muirfeild of USA and that has provoked my interest.  Also there has been some excellent photo tours of the course which would give anybody the desire to play there.

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 11:49:22 PM »
F*%# access.  Westward Ho.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 01:26:10 AM »
The Old Course at St Andrews - where, fortunately, I will be playing in an hour and a half. Golf has been my obsession for nearly 35 years and visiting here has been my dream. The seagulls are calling outside my window. Time to go.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 01:30:03 AM »
A restored Cobb's Creek. Because I really
believe it has that much potential.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 01:38:57 AM »
The Old Course at St Andrews - where, fortunately, I will be playing in an hour and a half. Golf has been my obsession for nearly 35 years and visiting here has been my dream. The seagulls are calling outside my window. Time to go.
Enjoy.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 02:58:24 AM »
None

Played enough "BL" courses to know that I've ticked enough boxes/carved the right notches in my pistol grip so that whatever golf courses remain will not be awe inspiring.  But I grow old....

My BL is firstly to remain as fit and compos mentis as possible, for as long as possible.  Within that context, seeing my teenagers continue to grow into happy and confident and unique adults is my "#1."

If tomorrow someone would offer me the use of his or her private jet to fly to Augusta or Pine Valley or wherever, for a week of golf with Tiger, Arnie, Jack or any BUDA regular, I'd say no in a heartbeat if it conflicted with my familiy's needs.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Martin Toal

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 03:55:00 AM »
Based on what I read here, Pine Valley. After all, if it is a bucket list, may as well get some help to kick the bucket.

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 07:19:35 AM »
 8) a return to Ballyneal... what's their status these days?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John McCarthy

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 07:22:25 AM »
Ballybunion for a host of sentimental reasons.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

astavrides

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 09:47:35 AM »
Cypress Point

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 09:48:10 AM »
I would say Shinnecock and/or Cypress Point.  I've been fortunate enought to have scrathed their neighbors (NGLA & PB) off my bucket list but these two would be my choice.  I think a large reason is that I've seen both courses, driven through them numerous times, and missed out on a round at Shinny due to getting an invite when I was out of the country on a business trip.  I grew up on Long Island and, like anyone else who spends time out east, have passed by Shinnecock countless times and know many people who play there often.  I feel like I've been so close but it just hasn't happened yet.  The view from the clubhouse prior to sunset is as good as it gets.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 09:57:13 AM »
Pine Valley, because it would be nice to be able to participate in one of Pat Mucci's threads.  ;D

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 10:31:22 AM »
The Old Course would be #1

Cypress Point or Chicago GC would be tops in the US

Cory Lewis

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
Chicago.  The ultimate for any Raynor/MacDonald Fan.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

hhuffines

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 12:58:50 PM »
Royal Melbourne for me

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 02:08:32 PM »
Augusta National is my #1 course and my dream trip would be to the courses of New Zealand and Australia.

Ed Kenny

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »
Royal Melbourne would be my choice as well. It would mean I finally made it to Australia.

George Pazin

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 03:27:37 PM »
Barnbougle.

Welcome, Ed Kenny, nice first post.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
where i really want to play: NGLA
where i would like my last round:  Cypress

Nigel Islam

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »
Cypress Point as I have seen the property, I love MacKenzie, and I would dearly love to have the chance to play a course of that caliber.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 05:42:32 PM »

You must have had some pull, isn't the Bing Crosby or Town Match being played today?

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back