News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Curtiss

Re: Your #1 Bucket List golf course.
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2014, 09:54:10 AM »
Terry,

Sounds like a dream come true

Hope you post something about them after you play
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:03:39 AM by Rob Curtiss »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2014, 05:21:16 PM »
Royal County Down
Monfontaine
Augusta National

Rob Curtis - I trust you mean it's where it all started in the USA, your choices are a little modern in North Berwick, Blackheath and Calcutta!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:24:22 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

David Whitmer

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2014, 05:47:16 PM »
When I got married ten years ago, I told my wife (who knows nothing about golf), that if I ever get an invite to play Pine Valley, Augusta National, or Cypress Point, I'm going not matter the occasion. Our anniversary? I'm going. Her birthday? I'm going. I told her I needed her to acknowledge that we discussed it, so in case it ever happens she can't say we never talked about it. And I bring it up every few years. I'm trying to put a fire out before it ever starts.

Chicago Golf Club

Greatness on a flat clay site ... makes this the most important course that I haven't seen.
I need to understand "how" it was accomplished.

Ian,

I played Chicago Golf Club a few years ago. I would not call it a flat site. Not ANGC, but it has some good downhill and uphill shots, starting with the first hole!

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2014, 05:49:54 PM »
You are correct Mark..I have not played outside of the US. I was definitely referencing here.

Let me add TOC

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2014, 05:59:56 PM »
David I'm a massive fan of Chicago Golf Club and it's a great course on a pretty poor piece of land.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill Brightly

« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2014, 06:02:25 PM »
Chicago.  The ultimate for any Raynor/MacDonald Fan.

Perhaps the ultimate if you have already played NGLA...

But Cory, it is Macdonald... :)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »
St. Enodoc because Sean Arble rates it #1
After that is knocked of at BUDA
Carne because Sean Leary hates it. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ian Andrew

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
Carne because Sean Leary hates it. ;)

One of my all time favourite golfing experiences.
It's far from perfect architecturally, but the golfing landscape is second to none.
-

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2014, 06:38:58 PM »
Bill I'd played CGC a couple of times before NGLA, to be honest I think MacDonald did a better job in Chicago as the Long Island plot was perfect for a world class course, in Wheaton it's far from perfect land.
Cave Nil Vino

Mac Plumart

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »
Mark, your point is well taken by me. Chicago might be the best bunkered course I've ever played. Brilliant course.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2014, 07:08:45 PM »
Mark and Mac,

I've played NGLA and only seen photos of Chicago. I agree that the bunkering looks fantastic. In fact, I made sure the shaper saw those photos before doing work at Hackensack.

But NGLA came first. NGLA represents Macdonald's thoughts and visions. The "new" Chicago is an outgrowth of National, no?

But I'll trust you guys and put Chicago #1 on my bucket list ahead of Cypress Point!

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2014, 07:15:05 PM »
Belt-notching         ANGC
Architectural Study         Pine Valley
Hidden Gem         Waverly (Portland, OR) -or- Idle Hour (Louisville, KY)
Just because I've never played it      Huntington Valley
International                                               Morfontaine

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »
Crystal Downs - one of the best in the world but as a Michigander I can only hope someday to see this beauty.  Pure Michigan!!!!!!
"Pure Michigan"

BHoover

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2014, 08:54:49 PM »

Really, though, the two courses I most want to see before I die are two that I haven't built yet.

Tom,

Do you have sites in mind for these courses?

Of course.  One's at Mulan Bay in China, which I've talked about here previously -- I've done the routing for it and think it has huge potential, but it will be a LOT of work to make it come out as good as I hope it will. 

The other is a still undisclosed location, because I don't have the job yet.  I have not done a routing yet, because I don't have a map and I haven't had much time to walk the site.  But it is an amazing site with unlimited potential.

I wonder where this undisclosed site is/was? Could it be the forthcoming Keiser development in Wisconsin? Just curious.

Anyway, for me, the bucket-list course definitely would be Royal Melbourne.

The course in Ohio that is on my bucket list is a toss-up between Camargo and The Country Club.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »
Camargo , Sleepy Hollow, Lookout Mtn- trying to see all of Raynor 's work.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2014, 09:09:30 PM »
Augusta.  Even though I feel that I would enjoy the CPs, NGLAs, and the PVs of the world more, seeing it every April on TV would allow you to relive the experience a little bit.  I don't think that would ever get old.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Mac Plumart

« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2014, 10:24:17 PM »
Mark and Mac,

I've played NGLA and only seen photos of Chicago. I agree that the bunkering looks fantastic. In fact, I made sure the shaper saw those photos before doing work at Hackensack.

But NGLA came first. NGLA represents Macdonald's thoughts and visions. The "new" Chicago is an outgrowth of National, no?

But I'll trust you guys and put Chicago #1 on my bucket list ahead of Cypress Point!

Bill, I understand your point.  But to be clear, I am not saying Chicago is better than NGLA...and I don't think Mark is either.  I think he is tipping his cap to the work done at Chicago and saying it is great, especially given the land it is on...not that it is bad land, just that NGLA's land is much better.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2014, 10:29:02 PM »
Would Chicago Golf have been considered great before the Raynor renovation? Don't forget that Seth made substantial changes after MacDonald had long moved away.

BCowan

« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2014, 10:31:42 PM »
''Anyway, for me, the bucket-list course definitely would be Royal Melbourne.''

+1 and I would stay there until they deported me!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »
''Anyway, for me, the bucket-list course definitely would be Royal Melbourne.''

+1 and I would stay there until they deported me!

Over/under 3.5 holes?

The Old Course for me. The world is full of courses I'd love to play, but that's the one that would really bum me out if I never get to see it.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ben Malach

« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2014, 11:01:13 PM »
Number 1 on my list right now is Royal Melbourne. Looks amazing plus it would be cool to visit Australia. 
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

BCowan

« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2014, 11:04:43 PM »
Number 1 on my list right now is Royal Melbourne. Looks amazing plus it would be cool to visit Australia. 

Alright two Ben's and a Hoover, we just need a 4th! 

Jason Thurman

« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2014, 11:11:33 PM »
Belt-notching         ANGC
Architectural Study         Pine Valley
Hidden Gem         Waverly (Portland, OR) -or- Idle Hour (Louisville, KY)
Just because I've never played it      Huntington Valley
International                                               Morfontaine

You have the wrong city for Idle Hour. Still, it's worth the drive from Louisville, or really anywhere.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Brett Morris

« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2014, 11:18:18 PM »
Sand Hills - would book the flight from Australia tomorrow.

Wolf Point.

San Francisco.

Chicago.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2014, 11:49:31 PM »
Mark and Mac,

Bill, I understand your point.  But to be clear, I am not saying Chicago is better than NGLA...and I don't think Mark is either.  I think he is tipping his cap to the work done at Chicago and saying it is great, especially given the land it is on...not that it is bad land, just that NGLA's land is much better.

Mac, we are not arguing here. But I always feel compelled to respond when I hear posters "add points" to a well designed course on relatively flat land, and somehow take  away points for courses built on great sites, especially those near salt water... Know what I mean? The site DOES matter, and there is no leveling of the playing field when measuring greatness. Just sayin'.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back