News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Your #1 Bucket List golf course.
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2014, 03:03:50 AM »
Bill

I definitely give extra points for very well designed golf on flat land (I should say land with very little elevation change) for two reasons. First, flat land provides excellent contrast to hillier holes.  Second, flat land is more pleasurable for me to walk. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2014, 03:59:24 AM »
Cypress Point surprised me not for the sea holes which matched expectations but the sheer quality of the inland holes.

Chicago is one of the quietest most private clubs around and an extremely comfortable place to be. I would say it's a better course than NGLA if you had a formula of course quality v quality of land. It could be the best of all under this formula.
Cave Nil Vino

RJ_Daley

« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2014, 06:02:23 AM »
I think I just did it.  I have always had a certain affinity for the look and watching great golf take place when broadcasts have covered Australian golf events.  Of course Royal Melbourne is the perennial darling of the lot.   

Idon't play well enough to have played the rota of courses I just competed.  But, the fun factor is unparalleled.  New South Wales was a dramatically beautiful experience.  KIngston Heath has the full preconceived expectation of MacKenzie on display.   And with one round on East course played, and a tour and running commentary from the course director/manager of the West, hole by hole, I think the bucket is pretty much filled.

I get a little uneasy with pushing the envelope of the constantly restated "bucket list".  I'm fully satistifed with what Ihave seen.  What ever might come next is merely a bonus.  As a genre of courses, the usual suspects in GB&I are mere pipedreams, and I'll take 'em as they may or may not come.  The golf course elite universe of excellence is widespread and I'm not sure that it is realistic nor a proper mindset for a bloke like myself to keep going to the well of good fortune with a bucket to be filled, and not feel the thirst has been greatfully slaked.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David Whitmer

« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2014, 07:33:31 AM »
David I'm a massive fan of Chicago Golf Club and it's a great course on a pretty poor piece of land.

I'm also a massive fan of Chicago Golf Club. It's one of my favorites. I just said I wouldn't call it a flat site.

Dwight Phelps

« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2014, 06:51:50 PM »
It was Cypress Point already, but I just finished Shackleord's book on CP and now I want to play there even more than before.
"We forget that the playing of golf should be a delightful expression of freedom" - Max Behr

Eric Smith

« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »
Bill

I definitely give extra points for very well designed golf on flat land (I should say land with very little elevation change) for two reasons. First, flat land provides excellent contrast to hillier holes.  Second, flat land is more pleasurable for me to walk. 

Ciao

Sean,

Make haste to Port Lavaca, Texas!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2014, 07:44:45 PM »
Bill

Ciao

Sean,

Make haste to Port Lavaca, Texas!

Amen

Mac Plumart

« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2014, 07:53:25 PM »
Mark and Mac,

I've played NGLA and only seen photos of Chicago. I agree that the bunkering looks fantastic. In fact, I made sure the shaper saw those photos before doing work at Hackensack.

But NGLA came first. NGLA represents Macdonald's thoughts and visions. The "new" Chicago is an outgrowth of National, no?

But I'll trust you guys and put Chicago #1 on my bucket list ahead of Cypress Point!

Bill, I understand your point.  But to be clear, I am not saying Chicago is better than NGLA...and I don't think Mark is either.  I think he is tipping his cap to the work done at Chicago and saying it is great, especially given the land it is on...not that it is bad land, just that NGLA's land is much better.

Mac, we are not arguing here. But I always feel compelled to respond when I hear posters "add points" to a well designed course on relatively flat land, and somehow take  away points for courses built on great sites, especially those near salt water... Know what I mean? The site DOES matter, and there is no leveling of the playing field when measuring greatness. Just sayin'.

Bill, I agree.  It all matters.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2014, 08:01:57 PM »
Unrealistic:  Augusta
Semi-Realistic:  Crystal Downs and Sand Hills
Realistic and Will Happen:  Pebble & the Bandon 4

Steven Blake

« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2014, 08:24:53 PM »
USA- NGLA
GB- St. Andrews
Ireland- Lahinch
Australia- Royal Melbourne

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2014, 08:21:53 PM »
TOC, because it is the Old Course.  ;D

Chris Wagner

« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
All of the courses in the sand hills of Nebraska over and over again!!! I wouldn't pass on a trip to Augusta either.

Phil Lipper

« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2014, 01:35:44 PM »
When I think of bucket list golf Augusta is always the first course that comes to mind, but Cypress is pretty high on the list also

Mark Pearce

« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »
Pine Valley.  Those I know who have played it are unanimous that it is the best they have played.  I want to see why.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2014, 11:17:22 AM »
Cypress, no doubt.

I am getting close though. . .  looks like Pebble is on the horizon this summer.

Baby Steps.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2014, 11:24:13 AM »
Slightly probable: ANGC

Probable: Pine Valley

Likely: Royal Melbourne

If granted only one: RM in F&F conditions

BHoover

« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2014, 11:26:33 AM »
At this point, after a very long, cold and snowy winter, my #1 bucket list course is ANY course that is not buried under several inches of snow and is located in a climate that would allow me to play golf.

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »
Since I started golfing Cypress Point. Unfortunately it'll stay a bucket list dream...

ed_getka

« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2014, 03:34:48 PM »
Rye. I love the stories about the President's Putter and the descriptions I've  read of the course have always piqued my interest. Other courses that would fit the bill would be Prestwick, St Enodoc, Eastward Ho, Myopia. I am simpatico with RJ and Rihc. I have been blessed to see many of the great courses in the world and know them when I see them. I'll never see every great course and that is okay. I am really looking forward to seeing LACC and Seminole when the Walker Cup comes to those sites. I had a epic day on Sunday at last years Walker Cup at NGLA when I walked about 60 holes. I look forward to repeating the experience in 2017 and 2021.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2014, 03:45:58 PM »
Rye. I love the stories about the President's Putter and the descriptions I've  read of the course have always piqued my interest. Other courses that would fit the bill would be Prestwick, St Enodoc, Eastward Ho, Myopia. I am simpatico with RJ and Rihc. I have been blessed to see many of the great courses in the world and know them when I see them. I'll never see every great course and that is okay. I am really looking forward to seeing LACC and Seminole when the Walker Cup comes to those sites. I had a epic day on Sunday at last years Walker Cup at NGLA when I walked about 60 holes. I look forward to repeating the experience in 2017 and 2021.

We have several courtesy days (where we can play as Deal has events) with Rye every year - one weekend day. Just secured a much coveted weekend slot this morning, playing with GCA's Dan Moore and Chappers. We have from midday to our 1.40 tee time to enjoy the excellent lunch! Very cool place.

I'm jealous. Have a great day. Golfing with Dan Moore is an added bonus. Great guy.

"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »
in alphabetical order:

Cypress Point
Pine Valley
Royal County Down

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2014, 06:00:41 PM »
Ed great guys don't win EVERY match! Dan however remains a dear friend and Nicky and I are looking forward to his return to Deal next month.

Rye being full of quirk requires the golfer to carve his own meat at lunch, it's quite nerve wracking hacking away at a lovely joint with an impatient queue at your shoulder.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2014, 06:27:37 PM »
David I'm a massive fan of Chicago Golf Club and it's a great course on a pretty poor piece of land.

I'm also a massive fan of Chicago Golf Club. It's one of my favorites. I just said I wouldn't call it a flat site.

Two very nice hills at 1/17 greens and 12 green and what seems like a bunch of tees.  Otherwise it is pretty flattish. 

Ryan Coles

« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »
Loch Lomond.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2014, 10:15:33 PM »
1.Cypress Point
2. Pine Valley
3. Shinnecock

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back