News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Bushmills Dunes Golf Resort
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:19:34 PM »
While on a chairlift in Vail, my new best friend struck up a conversation with me, "You play golf?"  "Do I play golf!?"  "Just wondered.   You look like a golfer. Where is you favorite golf course?" said my best bud. "Royal County Down." "That's interesting, I am part of a project in Northern Ireland, called Bushmills Dunes Resort." Well my ears perked up, but you have only so much bonding time on a 6 minute chairlift ride.  I take his name and email address and say goodbye to my long time friend.  Of course by the time I get to my car all that information of my long lost friend is gone. 

Anyone know anything about the plans etc?

Found this on google.

http://www.bushmillsdunesresort.com/news/bushmills-golf-resort-given-the-green-light
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

Re: Bushmills Dunes Golf Resort
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:18:28 PM »
Tommy W. -

I seem to recall a thread here about the project 12 to 24 months ago.

DT

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:23:10 AM »
Good question.

I remember the final approval... But then vaguely recall another roadblock, perhaps to do with financing... My bet is that Adam Lawrence will know all...

There have been at least a couple of detailed threads on the initial development

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 06:35:46 AM »
Everything around Bushmills has gone a little quiet in the last year. It was granted planning consent in 2012 and a judicial review into the decision, initiated by the National Trust (which owns the Giant's Causeway) was pretty comprehensively rejected. The Trust said it would appeal, but that appeal would have to have been filed by April last year, and I don't believe ever was. The developers said site work would likely start last year, but I'm not aware of anything having been done.

My reading is that the funding is not totally in place. I have heard a variety of rumours, one of which was that Mike Keiser had been asked to invest and was considering it. But they are just rumours: I don't have anything concrete.

This is the most recent story I was able to do on the project:
http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Root/Home-actualpage/Articles-actualpage/Article/tabid/70/ItemId/2669/Default.aspx#.UyLavtwZ2xo
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jamie Pyper

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »
As an overseas life member at Royal Portrush, I stay in a Portballantrae bungalow every year on my visits and directly overlook the Bushfoot golf club adjacent to this property. I've walked this site many times and always thought it would be a great links course, but I was always told by the locals that it would never receive planning permission.
I've followed Dr. Alistair Hanna's proposal from the beginning and give him great credit for stickhandling through years of planning highs and lows, I'm sure at great added expense.

The last I heard was there are now two major objections besides finalizing financing. Unesco has objected to the development as its too close to the Giant's Causeway, a Unesco World Heritage Site. Apparently they want to overrule the local planning commission and that has lead to more delays. The second item is that a conservation group came forward last fall stating they have now discovered, surprise, surprise, that the dunes are habitat to a rare bee which has overtones to the Doonbeg snail issue.

I worry that when all is said and done, too many compromises may downgrade the site potential from sensational to mediocre. Seems like this initial great idea has hit the bureaucratic "paralysis of analysis" wall, and sadly may never get off the ground at this rate.

I personally think Dr. Hanna should tone down the size of the resort and focus on building a first rate golf course with a more modest resort element to appease Unesco. The current over- the- top resort, with limited views of the sea, probably accounts for 75% of the 100 million pound cost. This would resolve the financing issue IMO.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »

I personally think Dr. Hanna should tone down the size of the resort and focus on building a first rate golf course with a more modest resort element to appease Unesco. The current over- the- top resort, with limited views of the sea, probably accounts for 75% of the 100 million pound cost. This would resolve the financing issue IMO.

Especially if, like Mr. Trump, he may not ever build that part of the project.  But perhaps promising to spend 100 million pounds (and create jobs) has been essential to getting the project past the permitting hurdles to this point.

Jamie Pyper

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »
You're bang on Tom.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back