News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Zack Molnar

Re: Restoration of Mid Pines
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2014, 10:12:16 AM »
Zack, I think it depends on what you're looking for. Pine Needles is certainly the tougher, championship-caliber course. For a good player like you, it'll be a good, fun challenge. I also think it has more memorable holes overall. Mid Pines is really nice, but I don't find it quite as dramatic and it can't match the "broad shouldered" feeling of Pine Needles.

They're both very good, but I rank Pine Needles considerably better. Mid Pines has the better presentation since the renovation, but you'll get to see something similar at Dormie so I'm not sure how big a factor that should be in your decision. I think it just comes down to whether you feel like playing a "strong" course or a "charming" course. I'd also pay attention to weather, as Pine Needles drains quite a bit better.

We are playing #2 on friday and Sunday, so I think I am looking for a little more charming rather than a strong test of golf. My playing companion I think would appreciate a little more on the charming side as well i believe.  

Jay Mickle

« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »
Zach,
Would have made time to play with you but have friends coming in for the weekend and we are playing #2 on Saturday. As for your MP/PN decision I favor Mid Pines and have since joining MP/PN in 2009. MP certainly has the charm and the feel of a 1920's Donald Ross course and is strongly preferred by the hickory golfers for its shot making demands It is the home of the Society of Hickory Golfers final major of the year.
Prior to the renovation there was a decided PN bias by the members. Some would not even play MP. Since the renovation that has all changed. Tournament results have historically had MP playing a few shots harder than PN, in large part because of the greater subtlety of the greens and the attendant approach shots.  It will give you a good game. Be sure to walk around the hotel and be transported to the world of F Scott Fitzgerald.  This was the last course that Webb Simpson warmed up on prior to his US Open victory at the Olympic club. Enjoy whichever course you choose.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

hhuffines

« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »
I hope the weather clears up quick...  Want to head down myself!

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »
Zack, I think it depends on what you're looking for. Pine Needles is certainly the tougher, championship-caliber course. For a good player like you, it'll be a good, fun challenge. I also think it has more memorable holes overall. Mid Pines is really nice, but I don't find it quite as dramatic and it can't match the "broad shouldered" feeling of Pine Needles.

They're both very good, but I rank Pine Needles considerably better. Mid Pines has the better presentation since the renovation, but you'll get to see something similar at Dormie so I'm not sure how big a factor that should be in your decision. I think it just comes down to whether you feel like playing a "strong" course or a "charming" course. I'd also pay attention to weather, as Pine Needles drains quite a bit better.

We are playing #2 on friday and Sunday, so I think I am looking for a little more charming rather than a strong test of golf. My playing companion I think would appreciate a little more on the charming side as well i believe.  

Sadly you won't  be playing Friday.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2014, 01:22:05 PM »

Sadly you won't  be playing Friday.

He is playing next Friday

Norbert P

« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2014, 05:29:42 PM »

Does anybody have pictures of Mid Pines #9 approach and green complex?
 And the view from the regular tees and new forward tees?

BTW, Thank you Ran for the updated review. Exemplary, as usual.

And congrats to Kyle for the Resto of the Year !
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2014, 05:40:13 PM »
They're both very good, but I rank Pine Needles considerably better.

HAVE I disagreed with this yet? Pine Needles = uneven. Mid Pines = Heaven.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Matthew Sander

« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2014, 05:46:38 PM »

Does anybody have pictures of Mid Pines #9 approach and green complex?
 And the view from the regular tees and new forward tees?

BTW, Thank you Ran for the updated review. Exemplary, as usual.

And congrats to Kyle for the Resto of the Year !

Slag,

I'll check and let you know, probably won't be able to get to them until later tonight. I'm not sure how many I have of #9, but we'll see. Should I just post them here or would you like them in an email?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »
HAVE I disagreed with this yet? Pine Needles = uneven.

I assume you're talking about the terrain, in which case, we agree. Pine Needles is far hillier than Mid Pines, which is certainly part of its appeal.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2014, 05:50:55 PM »
Hole #9 from February 2014

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:52:26 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Norbert P

« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2014, 02:25:19 AM »
 Thank you Ronald.  It was the only green complex that I didn't get to see last year.  Glad you didn't get snowed out this trip.  Any comments on how the green plays.  Bunkers sure look good.

Matthew, thanks for the offer but Ron's presentation will do.  I appreciate it, though.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2014, 01:04:56 PM »
Tricky green. Put it in the middle and any location is accessible. Don't go pin hunting at the corners.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back