News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Golf as part of recreation mix on Public Land
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 06:27:53 AM »
I too like the idea of closing the course one day per week, but I suspect this idea will never fly.  I don't think the common land courses I have come across in England shut down, but it is common knowledge that golf is just another activity on the weekends and play may be greatly slowed down for safety sake.  One idea to keep numbers down on the weekend or perhaps one weekend day per week/fortnight is to charge quite a bit more for that day in the hope that less golfers will turn up.  

Another interesting course you can look into is Sutton Coldfield.  The course is built in a large public park (Sutton Park), but it sounds quite similar to your project.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/suttonpark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Park

Ciao

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 06:30:31 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Greg Ramsay

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 01:35:31 AM »
Dick, my first approach to govt. was exactly as you say; that they could create an iconic recreation 'island', largely funded by a publically owned&operated golf course, certainly among Australia's top 5 public courses. I showed them a wide range of successfully developed municipal courses, & wanted to manage the project to ensure the quality matched the potential & delivered viability, & that the best public & environmental out outcomes were achieved.  While they (Dept.ofParks&Wildlife) could see the public benefit, they had no interest on embarking into something like this, so suggested a lease, knowing they will still control the property & the public's enjoyment of it, as well as the enviro-rehab, through the conditions, reviews & EMP in the lease.

When one looks at the management objectives of this recreation&conservation reserve, we'll be meeting the criteria in spades- a relief for them in times of declining funding-as Parks have to compete against public health& education for every dollar. Just as ParksCanada are now tendering out the management of H'land Links, this will be much the same- a privately operated, public facility, governed by the terms of a lease that is struck to ensure Parks' objectives are achieved.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 02:25:11 AM »
Greg, it is good to see your desire and passion are still burning bright.  Are there elements of a share offering similar to the original Barnbougle involved with the development and leasing entity capitalization? Anotherwords, how is the money raised to build this course, privately or as a public investment by the parks division then leased to the management entity? 

It seems to me that an iron-clad long term lease agreement would have to be in place for an entity to assume the construction costs, and attendant legal, political, and environmental risks of on-going management. 

But, you are the right man for the job as ramrod and promoter because you have the fire burning.  Your TV interview was very professional and inspired confidence.  Good luck. 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

James Bennett

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 03:05:09 AM »
Greg, Neil (and others)

thanks for the photos.

Good luck with the venture.  Perhaps Tasmania GC will be encouraged to clean-up the shoreline to reveal similar views to those seen on your land parcel.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back