News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

Re: Integrated Clubs
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 10:54:13 PM »
Just a hunch, but I bet the President's first club will be in Hawaii...

He's not eligible as he wasn't born there.   :-*

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 11:42:57 PM »

Mike,

This club clearly discriminates

They have one token long pants wearer

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 02:46:50 AM »
Mike, I've not heard of any Muslims playing golf in the UK, but it is popular with Sikhs and Hindus. For that matter, there are few Afro-Caribbeans, although we have a very active Afro-Caribbean member at Wilmslow.

A golf society I play with at various courses accross the north-west includes a black guy; I have to say he is the only black golfer I have ever encountered in person. He is noticably careful about which clubs he signs up to play at.

Integration has a long way to to go in England. I am sure that at Reddish Vale we would welcome new members of any hue or faith so long as their cheques were good, but the fact is that our membership is 100% white apart from one guy of Chinese descent. I don't suppose the situation at other local clubs is much different; for some reason ethnic minorities either do not play golf or do not apply to join golf clubs. With my marketing hat on I immediately see a large untapped pool of potential customers...

The villages to the south of Manchester are home to a lot of very wealthy footballers. Many are black, and a good number turn to golf as a way of filling the hours after morning training.

Woe betide however, any of these jumped up arriveists who apply to join the prominent private members club in their immediate locality; one with an old course much admired by connoiseurs. 'Black-ball' is an unfortunate term in the ciircumstances - but apt! I have it on very good authority that even green-fees are turned away, although whether this is true for all footballers or just the black ones I'm not totally sure.

Needless to say, our golf society will not be organising any events at this particular club. The potential embarrassment to my friend would be unbearable to us all.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:03:00 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 10:33:32 AM »
Good for you, Duncan.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

ward peyronnin

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »
How does this topic have anything at all to do with Golf Course Architecture?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 11:04:31 AM »
How does this topic have anything at all to do with Golf Course Architecture?

Only tangentially. But at least as much as halfway houses, cell phones, cameras, and Neil Armstrong.  I am interested in learning about what other clubs that are trying to integrate are doing.  This seems like a good place to ask the question.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
Both Duncan and Mark are from the North of England and things are not that different down south although I do know and see golfers from various minorities.  However I have noticed that at the busiest local pay and play you are more likely to encounter Eastern European than black or Asian Golfers.  On the driving ranges I see and hear things and I would guess that most of the keen practisers have yet to join clubs, preferring to pay a fee at various courses. Certainly there are not enough such golfers to take over a club 100% and I’ve never heard of such a thing.

Generalising I would say that it’s the suburban clubs with pretension to their own importance who still effectively have bars. I have heard unsolicited and unnecessary comments that are disgraceful and yet I have never managed more than an Icy stare and a walk from the table.

A couple of years ago I was at a posh golf club dinner where matches were arranged.  The moderator couldn’t remember all the names of those present and so started giving out nicknames. When he came to the one black face in the audience, without missing a beat he said “Now who would like to bet on the Surgeon?”
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back