News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 11: Par 4, 440 Yards

From the back tee (465 yards) the tee shot must be played over the edge of the harbour, but from any of the more forward sets the golfer will want to play away from the water and bunker on the inside of the dogleg.

Back Tee View:

Green Tee View:

There's more room to the right than appears from the tee, but bailing out too far will leave a long approach from an awkward angle...

The land on the entire hole slopes from the right toward the water on the left.  With the ball above the golfer's feet, the golfer will do well not to draw the ball too far.  Aiming at the dune right of the green takes faith in one's swing.

Once again, Whitman allows the golfer to run the ball onto the green...

An example of the benefits of mowing at fairway height.  This little nook of fairway leaves a very interesting pitch over the corner of the dune, made exponentially more difficult because it is a pitch from a tight fairway lie.

The green is generous, but the combination of wind, fairway tilt, green tilt, harbour and dune make it a scary approach and an elusive target.

Green from short-right:

Green from behind:

These saving bunkers left of the green will save at least some shots from finding the water.

Charlie_Bell

This was a REALLY fun hole to play for the first time, with little knowledge of what lay ahead.  On the tee, we had no idea of how far to the right was safe.  On the approach we weren't sure of how dangerous it was to go left or long.  On the chips  -- to a center-left pin, with the "infinity-green" look with water behind -- we were twitching with nerves, knowing that long was bad, but short would leave an awkward downhill.   

Next time around, of course, there won't be much uncertainty in the initial strategy, but depending on the pin placement, it could be a somewhat straightforward hole (pin along the central axis, front to back) or a very nervy one (anywhere on the left; or somewhere far right, tucked behind the mound).  The right-side pin placement would be even more mind-gamey (okay, call it strategic) if the low right dune-mound extended a few paces further in front of the green.  You really WANT and OUGHT to play a low runner (approach OR chip) but the mound could make you pay a price for a tee shot too conservative.

A really great subtle hole.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 12: Par 3, 136 Yards -- A simple if slightly underwhelming connector hole.  This short par-3 is an easy target if the wind is down, but when windy, combined with the green's significant contours and a series of bunkers and run-offs protecting the green's edges, this birdie-hole becomes a tough par.  As I understand it, there is a new 12th hole under construction, which lay closer to the water's edge.  Perhaps those in the know can confirm.

Back Tee View:

Middle Tee View:

Short of Green:

Green:

Guy Nicholson

As I understand it, there is a new 12th hole under construction, which lay closer to the water's edge.

Here's the new hole as it appeared in early August. Longer par 3 -- by my recollection, a lot of people will be skirting the front left bunker in order to hold the green.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guynick/7974697960/in/photostream

Mark Saltzman

Thanks, Guy. Any idea the reason behind the quick switch?

Guy Nicholson

Struggling to remember the details, but it may have had to do with ownership of this corner of the property. The new hole is directly beside the old fish processing plant, which was a late acquisition and was being torn down when I was there. I don't think the current hole was ever intended to be permanent. The irony is that although the current hole is a bit underwhelming (as you said), it's still better than maybe 90% of the par 3s I've played in my life ...

Guy Nicholson

Mark Saltzman

Hole 13: Par 5, 550 Yards -- I wish I had read Ben's hole description before I played the hole.  As he says, "The tee shot can be difficult, requiring a forced carry over native grass to the fairway with the correct line being farther to the right than the golfer first suspects."  The Line of Instinct draws the golfer to the left, but for most this is a three-shot hole and there is little reason to flirt with the left side.

The second is completely blind, and into the wind many golfers will be happy just to crest the hill with their second shots.  A pair of bunkers set into the hill on the left may steer the first-time player on a line that is not advisable.

A lovely sight upon clearing the hill.  The preferred angle of approach is probably from left of centre, though really anything in the fairway will do.

A sand/fescue covered mound may catch golfers that bail-out right.

Truly one of the wildest greens I've ever seen.  We're back at the double green (shared with the 4th), and as interesting as the contouring on the right side was, it pales in comparison to the several foot high swales in the left side of the green.  The green's contours tie-in perfectly to contouring short of the green -- a running approach is probably preferred here, though it must be well-conceived.  A back-left portion of the green nearer the water makes for a dramatic possible Sunday pin, though the green does flatten out quite a bit there.

Adam Lawrence

I'm at Cabot right now; the new twelfth hole is growing in. As Guy said, the reason for the rapid change is the post-construction acquisition of a small amount of new land between the existing twelfth and the beach. I rather like the existing hole, but certainly the new one will be more spectacular, as the green will be closer to the water. It will also shortern the walk to the thirteenth tee, so win/win on that score. A quick examination of the new green suggests it will be fun, too.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Don Hyslop

An exciting green for sure on 13, just counting down the time, 11 days till tee off.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Wayne_Kozun

I was a little bit disappointed by 11.  I don't think there is much to be gained by trying to take the shortcut on the left.  The angle is better from the right given the orientation of the green and the left greenside bunker isn't really in play from the right.  There really isn't much penalty in just playing from the right side of the fairway.

13 is a great hole and is reachable if you hit a reslly good drive.  It helps to have a caddy on this hole to know where to aim your second shot as you usually have to aim farther left than you think.

Charlie_Bell

Wayne,  For a center or left pin I'd agree that you want to stay right of center on the drive.  But as I remember, if the pin is back right, it would be very difficult to attack it from the right side of the fairway.  If you're long enough you MIGHT fly it in, but the green is so firm that it's hard to stop.  And there's that little clumpy mound that prevents a running approach.

Again, I may remember it wrong, but it seems that anything but a center pin position requires you to place the tee shot well.  Left pin, drive right;  right pin, drive left.

Wayne_Kozun

I'm about a 12 handicap - I don't attack pins, I am just happy to hit greens.

Mark Saltzman

I was a little bit disappointed by 11.  I don't think there is much to be gained by trying to take the shortcut on the left.  The angle is better from the right given the orientation of the green and the left greenside bunker isn't really in play from the right.  There really isn't much penalty in just playing from the right side of the fairway.

Wayne, I didn't see it this way.  I suppose if you hit a cut it doesn't matter the angle of approach, but with the tilt of the land and slope of the green, I think it is easier to approach from the inside of the dogleg.

Truth is, though, given the difficulty of the tee shot, 90% will be happy with anywhere in the fairway.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 14: Par 3, 95 Yards -- An obvious ode to the short 7th at Pebble Beach, the 14th at Cabot Links is a beautiful and easy golf hole (except when the wind is up!).  The tee is set atop the highest dune on the golf course, and the tee shot is played some 40 feet downhill to an eternity green with the Gulf as a backdrop, and a series of runoffs and a single bunker ready to gobble up any shot even slightly offline.

Fairway grass surrounds the green, and a shot landing near an edge of the putting surface can run away from the green.

The run-offs are several feet deep...

The green itself is not excessively contoured.  Quite the change from the previous green!

Don Hyslop

If you miss right and don't land in the trap, how much hurt are you in?
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Charlie_Bell

I played it into a 2- 3-club wind, and it was one of the half dozen most difficult shots of the day, even with a massive green.  Why?  First, the green was very firm, as was the entire course in early July.  Second, because the shot is so short, you need to hit a very lofted club.  But the tee is so exposed, and the wind is so strong even at green level 40 feet below, that the wind is going to do a number on your shot.

Deep breath. The pin was right of center, about 1/4 of the way back.  The first guy in our group, a 6 handicap, tried to play it under the wind with a punched wedge.  He kept it low; it landed only a step or two onto the green; but he'd taken off all spin, so the ball took a big hop and rolled all the way to the back -- and trickled just off the back edge.  That scared the rest of us, so each of us figured we'd have to play it a little higher -- bringing the wind even more into play.  Neither of the next two guys could hold the green, one rolling it into the bunker, and the other pulling it left.   I, a 12, had the benefit of seeing all three shots.  I knew it was important to keep it fairly low, and quite short, but of course the wind caught the ball and knocked it straight down into the scruffy valley far short of the green. 

Summary:  into a stiff headwind (which I expect is common), onto a firm surface (likely), distance control becomes quite a mind game.  Par is no gimme, and you can easily walk to the next tee wondering what happened.  A 100-yard hole, and now you've got only four holes to make up for it... 

The view is magnificent.

Bryan Izatt

Don,

Over the back and the back right corner is the back tee for the next hole so there is some room for error.  As best as I recall the right side rolls down into gunch where you can likely find you ball.  Missing left is better.  Short of very strong winds it is a very big target and a very short club in your hands.

Charlie,

I was told by several people from the area that the prevailing wind there would be across and down from the left.  A two or three club wind is going to complicate all the holes.  Straight into the wind sounds like a better situation than a strong crosswind.  Fortunately we had light winds on the two days when we were there.

Adam Lawrence

Having had three goes at the fourteenth over the weekend, I really enjoyed it. The prevailing wind is indeed off the left, and although the green is large, they only need to put the pin to the side to make it very interesting. It's really hard to keep a half sand wedge under the wind!

Don - a whole heap. I went down there once - big wind off left, attempted to keep ball down and failed, whoosh... not a good place.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 15: Par 4, 385 Yards -- A very pretty hole playing alongside the Gulf, though only those golfers playing the Black tees (situated just steps over the 14th green) will get the best view.  The fairway is wide and bunkerless, with the ideal line being down the left.

Back Tee View:

Green Tee View:

Playing downwind this uniquely shaped green is a difficult target to find.  A single bunker fronting the centre of the green must be avoided.

This sandy dune right of the fairway should not be in play, but sometimes it is...

The green is almost a u-shape, similar to the Coore/Crenshaw template, though the right side of the u doesn't come all the way around.

Greenside bunkering.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 16: Par 4, 430 Yards -- Another hole running north set against the ocean.  The view from the tee gives the feel of a narrow fairway, but the fairway is massively wide and tilts from the right.  Three fairway bunkers jut into the fairway but are only in play for the longest of hitters.

The green is set hard against the water and begs for a running approach.  Missing short could find a collection area on the left, but missing long is an impossible recovery.

Don Hyslop

Just returned from a trip to Cabot, I had been there on the opening of the 10 hole preview last July and loved it but wow, what an adventure the full 18 holes are. The course is growing in nicely and the layout and beauty of the course can only be truly appreciated by an actual visit. It was a great experience, one I hope I will be able to repeat numerous times.

Will Lozier

Not a huge fan of the sleepering of the right half of the centerline bunker on #16.  Not sure why that was done?

Cheers

Mark Saltzman

Hole 17: Par 3, 142 Yards -- The 17th moves back inland and for the first time since the 10th hole the golfer will play into the wind. 

Though not encircled by bunkers, the 17th green is bunkered on all sides.

The green is large and undulating, sloping generally from back-to-front.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 18: Par 4, 452 Yards [Photos from 392 yard tee] -- Comfortably the most difficult hole on the course as, like the 17th, the hole plays uphill and into the wind.  The tee shot is played over a pair of top-shot bunkers and though a bunker set into the hill suggests the right side is the ideal line, tee shots down the left will leave a far more palatable angle of approach into a diagonal green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back