News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

BROADSTONE GC: On The Mend New
« on: August 18, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »
Broadstone enjoys an immense reputation in southern England and at first glance it is easy to see why.  Once on the Colt holes (much of #s 5-16) the terrain becomes wild in places, perhaps a bit too much so here and there.  As a back drop for several holes there is a rather large and beautiful heath, about 250 acres in total.  The A31 piles straight through The New Forest (just north of Broadstone) and all one can see is an immense heath.  I suspect at one time the heath spread further south to Broadstone. 

On the lower part of the course, near the house, there are several holes originally designed by Thomas Dunne.  These holes are not what the golfer has come to play.  The newer Colt holes include seven stand-outs, #s 5-8 (the 7th described by T Doak as "capsule summary of War and Peace"), 13, 14 and 16 (arguably the best of the lot), all par 4s save for the 6th. There are a few holes which should be better than they are, the 11th comes to mind.  Many other holes have some merit, but for one reason or another left me less than completely satisfied.  One reason for my disappointment is the bunkering; much of it is visually at odds with the lovely heathland setting.  The result is a frustrating mix of parkland/heathland feel. 

HS Colt

Frank Pont was recently engaged to revitalize Broadstone and the program of change is well under way.  Several holes have had the Pont treatment and to great effect.  The most stunning transformations are 5, 6, 8 & 14, a good bulk of the marquee holes.  However, I will be interested to see what happens with the excellent 16th.  This is arguably the best hole on the course, but it holds little visual appeal. 

The course opens with a shortish par 5 playing between dull as dish water bunkers left and a ditch backed with heathery rough right. Depite the visual mess, the hole still requires two solid shots to set up a two-putt birdie.  Presumably, this bunker will be a model of sorts for Frank.

#2 plays to a narrow fairway with a steeply rising approach.  The third features an awkward pond fronting the green.  The course starts to liven up on the 4th, but there is a prime opportunity to showcase the dead tree which is half buried. 

The 5th has been dramatically improved.  This par 4 green can be driven, but the land leans wonderfully right toward a front greenside bunker.

Turning back, we play the first of a very good and fairly difficult set of par 3s. The 6th features a combination of threatening fronting pits and a frightfully shallow green.  Below is a photo from the rear of the green.

Just when the golfer reckons he has pegged Broadstone, a hole like #7 turns up!  The hole rather reminds me of a three hump camel, two in the fairway and the green.  The green and a nibble of fairway are seen to the left, along with a load of trouble.  The bulk of the fairway is blind out to the right with nasty gorse lining the edge.

The approach is over a crossing jigsaw puzzle piece bunker (see #8 at St Georges Hill) to a steep back to front green benched into the hill.  Its a shame about the bunker style and what seems to me a green which doesn't properly fill the pad.  The unnatural looking circular greens are an issue throughout Broadstone.  None the less, this is an outstanding hole.

Looking toward the tee. 

The final hole of this purple patch is the terrific one-shot 8th, which turns back on the 7th.

The 9th, a par 5, plays over welcome flatter terrain and doesn't feel like it belongs; I believe this is a newish hole.  There is an odd hitch with a tree blocking easy access to the preferable right side of the fairway.  While not a bad hole, it certainly stands out as uncharacteristic of Broadstone.  The very narrow 10th plays sidehill below the 9th - not a hole I admire much.

The back nine features greens which are far more difficult than the front nine.  The main reason for this is the terrain tends to be more on the hilly side.  One must absolutely pay attention to the hills before putting or end up with a card full of three-putts.  The 11th was once a lovely Redan which was significantly altered in the early 2000s.

The ultra-narrow and harshly uphill 12th is another hole which didn't impress.  As with the opening holes, it is easy to lose interest in Broadstone at this stage in the round, but that would be a mistake. The second purple patch commences on 13 with a very innocuous drive.  Out of a seemingly benign hole, we now encounter a terrific risk it all approach.  Trouble lurks left, the green moves away from the fairway and sure safety up the right is met with a hidden bunker flanking the green. 

We now play along the hillside which #12 climbed.  This three hole stretch reminds me a lot of Notts' 11-13 sequence where play goes up a valley, across a ridge then back down.  While the uphill hole at Notts (#11) has it all over Broadstone's counterpart, it is arguable that Broadstone takes the prize for the remainder of the trio.

The semi blind approach plays over string of pearls bunkering to a green leaning back left to front right.

The last of the short holes comes in the fashion of a long down-hiller.  There are more issues of bunker style, but this is a decent hole.   

Back in the day.

Perhaps my favourite hole on the course; the 16th is a reverse camber hole, a concept I generally dislike.  Yet Broadstone's version is one of the best I have encountered.  The bunker must be taken on to leave a decent length approach as the fairway cants right, against the line of the play.

The back to front sloping green is very well protected by diagonal bunkers. Its a shame the green doesn't extend down along the line of bunkers, hopefully Frank will give this some thought  ;D

Unfortunately, after a longish walk, Broadstone finishes with two distinctly mediocre holes.  The 17th playing downhill to an unimaginatively bunkered green and 18 only has the positive element of leading golfers to the bar.  In a very real sense, the contrast of #s 13-16 against 17 & 18 sums up Broadstone for me; the course is far too inconsistent to be considered among the best of England.  The shame of it all is Broadstone is on a terrific site which should produce an excellent course.  Some of the problems can be cured with better bunkering and cut lines, but for me there are still issues with the flow of Broadstone.  The best holes  (7, 13 & 14 are All England candidates) come in bunches leaving the golfer with protracted periods of uninspired design.  I wish when the visionaries of the club hired Colt that the course would have been moved lock, stock and smoking barrel to the upper heathland section of the course.  Despite my criticisms, Broadstone does tick a lot of positive boxes. Any course with a small handful of all England candidates has to be worth some effort to see.  To top it off, there are several well thought of courses nearby which make a trip to little heralded Bournemouth well worth the effort.   2014

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:19:24 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Adam Lawrence

Re: Broadstone GC: Is It a Missed Opportunity?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 04:28:23 AM »
Broadstone has just - in the last few weeks - hired Frank Pont to oversee a pretty substantial restoration project. I reckon this is a watch this space!

(I'm sure Frank will be along shortly to share his thoughts)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Paul_Turner

Re: BROADSTONE GC: A Missed Opportunity?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:31:56 AM »
I like 1st and don't mind 3  but agree 2 is not great; 17 and 18 are a poor finish.    But I like the 10th and 12th, these are attractive natural holes.   Agree that a good tree clearing program and getting the course more heathland would help a great deal.  The 4th would be  great hole with the trees cleared out and the green expanded to take advantage of that super site.

It's so sad to again see what was done to the great 11th.  Here's how Colt left it in 1919:

Sean

Meyrick Park is a cheap, short, exciting muni nearby that's definitely worth checking out.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:51:34 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 12:56:42 PM »
Broadstone is on par with Hillside, lots of promise but fails to deliver.
Cave Nil Vino

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 05:00:48 PM »
Sean:

Thanks for again taking the time to put together this thread.  I know how much effort goes into something like this. 

Despite a thread earlier this week that implied courses have all responded to the tree removal mantra, here again is more proof that we've only cut the tip of the iceberg.  How amazing would it be to see the heathland courses remove the trees and go back to the past presentation.  Sunningdale is absolutely amazing now, but I can only imagine if they could muster the gumption to cut down all the trees.

Bart

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »
Paul

That photo of #11 is incredible - don't think I have seen anything like it.  I spose it explains Doak's Redan comments about the hole, something which completely confused me when looking at the current hole.

Bart

The trees aren't really an issue...until one looks at the surrounding heathland.  In fact, in a way that is the story of the course.  All sorts of styles going on when it is clear Broadstone should be pure heathland.

Ciao  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:15:48 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

Re: BROADSTONE GC: On The Mend
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 05:17:03 AM »
All

Take a look at the updated tour.  Frank Pont has made great strides in improving the course; lets hope the work continues.

Ciao

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 06:22:52 AM »
Interesting. I can't see Broadstone as a harder walk than Sunningdale or SGH.
Adam Lawrence

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 07:04:49 AM »
I'm always knackered by the time I get to the first green at SGH! Just out of shape I suppose  :)
Adam Lawrence

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 06:39:16 PM »
I am not sure Broadstone is an easier walk than Sunny or SGH, but the walk isn't a deal breaker for me. 

As an aside, Brian, Doc or Tom, what did you think of the long fairway grass?  Assuming there was better coverage, did you think it was an issue?

Ciao   

Tom Kelly

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 04:44:58 PM »
I am not sure Broadstone is an easier walk than Sunny or SGH, but the walk isn't a deal breaker for me. 

As an aside, Brian, Doc or Tom, what did you think of the long fairway grass?  Assuming there was better coverage, did you think it was an issue?

Ciao   

Sean, it wasn't an issue in terms of my overall evaluation of the course but I would not want to see it persist for any length of time as a member. One thing that I observed was the difference in pace between shaggy approaches and super slick greens. It made chipping v difficult and a bit like playing on Bermuda. Scenarios like these make me think that every course should do it the Walton Heath way and have the last 30 yards or so of the approach marginally higher than the length of the grass on the greens...

I'd agree with Brian in that it wasn't much of an issue from back in the fairway but it was abit too shaggy around the greens and it put me off trying to bump and run anything into the greens, though I would say that if the fairways got too short and quick I think it may make the course abit short for longer hitters.

Regarding the walk, I don't think it's too bad and would say SGH is probably worse from my limited experience. I think the weather made a big difference yesterday and we don't get many days like that do we?! As I've already said the fact that most of the climbing is done on front nine is a big plus and only 12 and the walk back up to the 17th tee make life difficult on the way back.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »
Can anyone tell me the history of the 2nd and 3rd holes?

Are they Dunne, Colt or anothers work?

Is the area left of the 2nd green an old green site?

Has the pond always been there?

Frank Pont

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 05:28:41 PM »

Holes 2 and 3 are Dunne holes

Looking back over green of hole two, it already shows the very unnatural plateau green that is still there. I don't think the area left of hole 2 is the old green, but it is part of my plan to use it to potentially build a new green site there, I really dislike the current plateau Dunne green...

Hole 3 before the pond was there, it use to be stream running in front of the green.

Will comment more tomorrow, need to get to bed now.....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:30:27 PM by Frank Pont »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 05:38:39 PM »
The pond on 3 looked very much like the hand of Hamilton Stutt. What's the story Frank?
2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

Frank Pont

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 04:13:57 AM »
The pond on 3 looked very much like the hand of Hamilton Stutt. What's the story Frank?

Could be, asked David Morgan the general manager this morning, he will check with the records.
He thought the pond was put in 20-30 years ago.

My opinion on ponds on Colt courses is quite well documented.
The pond on hole 16 will go at Camberley Heath, and I hope we can find a way at Broadstone hole 3 to not have the shot into the green have to fly over the pond.....

Tom Kelly

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 04:36:24 AM »

Holes 2 and 3 are Dunne holes

Looking back over green of hole two, it already shows the very unnatural plateau green that is still there. I don't think the area left of hole 2 is the old green, but it is part of my plan to use it to potentially build a new green site there, I really dislike the current plateau Dunne green...

Hole 3 before the pond was there, it use to be stream running in front of the green.

Will comment more tomorrow, need to get to bed now.....

Thanks for that Frank.

Both greens look out of place when compared with the rest of the course so I'm glad to hear that they are likely to be re-built.... I assume if the approach isn't going to fly over the pond on 3 the green will be moved?! Are there concerns that if the pond is filled in it will cause drainage problems even if a ditch is left in it's place?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 06:02:31 PM by Tom Kelly »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »
I'm almost 100% certain Stutt did the pond on the 3rd and more like 35-40 years ago.

I don't hate it nearly as much as Camberley 15th or that one just added to Southfield's 18th (which I've only seen in pics) since there was already a stream there before.  It's a bit like the 7th at Stoke Poges (Park) where Steel expanded the stream into a small pond trying to copy Augusta.

I guess Stutt have have added the 9th green too?

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 02:12:05 AM »
I think of all three ponds as heinous.  A stream would be much preferable if necessary, but better if angled. 

Is the stream backed by the 2nd line of cops in the old photo?  It looks like the near ditch backed by cops extends into the 2nd fairway.  I think this is far better than the current tree/rough set up.  Why was the ditch filled in?  Apparently, it was a good idea for drainage and if the recent water issues are anything to go by, the ditch shouldn't have been filled in. It might look quite cool to have a series of connecting ditches running up from the current pond (making the pond a ditch as well) across parts of each fairway.  It would also eliminate the need for sand and break that type of look up a bit. 

I also think Stutt added the pond along Paul's timeline.  Although, I thought the extended 9th was a later addition. 

Ciao

LeeStrutt

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 04:40:22 PM »
Good evening Tom,

I can verify that the original ditch on the 3rd hole was enlarged to create a pond in 1987/88. I'm not totally sure whether Hamilton Stutt was involved or not? but the original reason for the pond, was during severe winters the ditch outlet just couldn't cope with the amount of water flowing through it and used to back up flooding the 1st & 18th and the start of the 2nd. By creating the pond, the water flow and level could be regulated to ensure this didn't happen again.

I hope this helps

Lee 

Frank Pont

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 04:49:50 PM »
Broadstone indeed is a golf course with two very different faces. Parts of it (mostly the Colt holes) are very very good, and parts (mostly the non Colt holes) are more average. However even the average holes can be improved a lot. A good example of that is hole 5, a Dunne hole,  which was not very good or strategic when we started, and now is pretty interesting and visually a lot better as well.

In general the course needs a couple of things to change:

- Opening up of the viewing lines and widening of the corridors by removing trees. Examples of this are holes 2, 3 and 4
- Enlarge the greens back to the sizes they originally had. Examples are greens 5, 7, 8, 14, 16
- Widen the fairways to bring back the original strategies. Examples are holes 2,3,4,5,9,12,14,16
- Restore the Colt bunker style, and bring back the original strategies through better fairway bunkering. Pretty much every hole

My thoughts on the holes:

- Hole 1. I actually like the hole, its a typical Colt starting hole, an easy par 5. It has a diagonal hazard (the stream) in the tee shot, and another diagonal shot into the green over the same stream. Trees and bunkering on the left need work, as do the bunkers around the green, but once done it will be a good first hole.

- Hole 2. I do not like this uphill hole, especially the table mountain Dunne green. I would consider moving the green to a landform just left of the current green, which looks like it was a green in the past, and at least looks a lot more natural than the current green. Hole corridor needs to be widened, as des the fairway, and the bunkering will need to be adapted to whatever the green shape and defence will be in the future.

- Hole 3. Not a bad hole except for the pond and too many trees around the green. I do not think the pond will ever go, but we can move the green to the left so that it will lie left in front of the pond adjacent to the heathland that has just been opened visually through tree removal. This will make this downhill par 4 almost driveable, should be a lot of fun, especially with the pond lurking just beyond the right side of the green....

- Hole 4. Strong hole. Could be a par 5 I we put the tees close to green 1, which would be possible if the green of hole 3 moved. With the opening of the vistas to the left, this has become a much better hole, we now need to do the same on the right opening up views to the heather surrounded pool right of the hole. The hole has some cool undulations allowing for long bump and run shots to be played into the green. Only problem is that the fairway has a large band of clay running right through it, so it will always play less linksy than the other holes.

- Hole 5. Now a driveable par 4 with a lot of risk reward, also looks the part. Maybe not world class but miles better than it was before.

- Hole 6. Very nice uphill par 3, vintage Colt stuff. Would even be better with a lot more heather and still a lot less trees (we already culled quite a few in this area).

- Hole 7. World class eccentric hole. In my view maybe could use a new back tee, the green needs to be extended forward back to its original size and otherwise only the bunkers need to be restore back to their former glory (see pictures below).

- Hole 8. Very nice par 3, again typical Colt. Green has been enlarged, bunkers restored. Now only needs the path to be moved left so that its not in your view anymore.

- Hole 9. Poor hole with a poor green complex. Anybody could see this green has been changed and isn't Colt. Key will probably be to move the green from its current location, most likely to the left slightly down the slope. This will both lengthen the hole and create more interest in the shot into the green. Another thing needed here will be to open up the fairway to the left from the tees, to create more width and therefore strategic options.

The back nine holes I will start from the club house, the reason for that will become clear......
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:53:05 PM by Frank Pont »

Frank Pont

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »
- Hole 17 and 18 (both Dunne holes). I really really do not like them. Hole 18 is the worst of the two, hole 17 could be improved. I do not understand why Colt did not route the last holes closer to the train tracks, where you would be higher up, away from the ditches, closer to the heathlands where holes 11-16 had traversed through. This spot is currently used by the driving range and a practice putting green next to the clubhouse. My idea would be to swap the holes and the driving range and to create a par 5 finishing hole 18 that would play from in front of the current 17th tees to the practice putting green next to the club house.

- This would mean that we would need another hole somewhere on the course, probably a par 3. There are a number of spots where we could fit a par 3 into the routing. The most obvious one is playing back from hole 9 to the old green next to the fairway of hole 9. This hole has been prepared to be played as a temp par 3 when a hole is taken out for works or maintenance. Other spots would be between green 16 and tee 17 and between green 4 and tees 5.

- Hole 16. An nicely understated hole. Badly needs the fairway to be widened and the tree left in the fairway to go. Also like SA already mentioned another candidate to enlarge the green. Thinking of reinstating a very devious bunker behind the green as well.

Hole 15. Just needs the bunkers to be restored and the green to be enlarged.

Hole 14. Only needs further tree removal on the right of the hole and maybe another back tee to be built. Also are gradually extending the fairway to the left back to the two first fairway bunkers

Hole 13. Probably the most exciting hole on the course, could be world class (see pic below). Needs the bunkers left of the green to be reinstated and the ridge that was built behind the green to stop balls from running off the green to be removed

Hole 12. In contrast to SA I kind of like this hole. Yes the tee shot is narrow, but for variety sake that is OK once in a round. In any case you could not widen it anyways.... we are thinking about a better green site further right of the current green (the club owns land there), but I am very cautious about this, because the green is an original Colt, and you know my position on keeping original Colt greens.

Hole 11. Potentially a great par 3. A shame the green was changed (it was made less slopy). Main work here will be restoring the original bunkers. (see pics below). Plus remove the trees behind to open up views to the heath behind (have not done that yet in the pics).

before

after

Hole 10. A difficult hole connecting the two heathland loops in the routing. As such not one of the best holes but it keeps you on your toes. Needs its fairway to be widened as much as possible and the green side bunkering to be restored.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:29:19 PM by Frank Pont »

Dan Moore

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »
A couple more shots to illustrate points made by Sean and Frank.  I really enjoyed my visit in April.  At least  a half dozen world class holes and as Sean points out some of the others are subtlety quite good as well.  Frank's work has really made a difference and I hope they let him keep going. 

Tree Removal ongoing on left of 4th hole.

More tree removal behind 6 green

The photos do not do justice to the 2nd shot on the 13th hole.  Spectacular green site and great views.  Franks work on the 14th hole really was eye opening compared to before photos I have seen. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Paul_Turner

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »
Amazing how fast a club can change its philosophy for the better.  Only a few years ago and the course was being slowly stripped of character.  Fingers crossed that the 11th green can be restored at some point,  the change was so recent I'm sure that members will remember how it was even (even if a good pic isn't available).  I played it once and that green really didn't need to be softened.

But staying positive and I never thought I'd see the trees going between 4 and 7, great stuff!

I'd vote for keeping the 12th green Frank. The fairway is a bit narrow but it plays easier because of the lovely natural valley.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 03:19:14 PM »
I thought the 11th was the hole with the most potential to be improved dramatically. I look forward to seeing what Frank does there.
Can't say I was disturbed by the pond on 3, but I certainly didn't expect it. If it performs a practical function then leave it be I'd say.

2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »

Hole 13. Probably the most exciting hole on the course, could be world class (see pic below). Needs the bunkers left of the green to be reinstated and the ridge that was built behind the green to stop balls from running off the green to be removed

Frank,
Thanks for the discussion of your work and some of the vintage pictures.  I desperately want to see this version of the 13th.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back