News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Barry Stern

Golf in Keene, NH
« on: August 17, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »
Wondering if anyone has spent anytime golfing up near Keene, NH.  I"ll be spending some time up near there in the fall and next summer in a town called Harrisville and was wondering if I'm going to have to go into golf celibacy, resigning myself to trolling the GCA website in lieu of actually playing.  I'd appreciate your thoughts. 

Mark Steffey

Re: Golf in Keene, NH
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 09:55:44 PM »
bretwood is an awesome place to play.  two courses.  public, with a twisty metal thingy that you put you ball into at the top and when you get to the bottom it's your tee.  has the first island green in NE on the par 3 13th on the north course.  three sets on mens tees so you can play stretched out to 7000y if you want.  or 5800, or in between.   owned by the grandfather & family of chelso barrett, one of the top jr players in the country.  you can play all day with cart for $80 on weekends, $54 if you wish to walk.  i've known friends that go up in the summer and play 54 holes.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:03:27 PM »
While they may live free or die, there is plenty of golf in NH, VT and other areas to satiate your blood lust.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Barry,

I'm not a fan of the Shattuck Golf Club near Jaffrey, practically unplayable in my view. However, I can recommend highly the Hooper Golf Club in Walpole. It's a wonderful, classic New England nine holer!

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52890.0.html

Ed Homsey

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 10:46:45 PM »
If you acquire the book, "The Life and Works of Wayne Stiles" by Bob Labbance and Kevin Mendik, you will find descriptions of several Stiles courses in New Hampshire, including the Keene Country Club and Nashua Country Club.  Donald Ross left his mark in upper New Hampshire with several courses credited to him, including the Mt. Washington Resort course, the Balsams, and Bethlehem CC.  Many years ago, while planning on a golf trip through New Hampshire, I was talking with Geoff Cornish and he recommended his course, Eastman Golf Links, in Grantham, NY, north of Keene perhaps 40 miles.  Keene is not that far from the Mt. Snow area in Vermont where there is another Geoff Cornish course that has several holes that are still vivid in my mind after 20 years since I last played there. 

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 08:41:36 AM »
Barry
  I have lived in Keene for 62 years .When you get in town, give me a call at 352-2732 and I'll have you over for coffee in my golf office. I live just down the road from Bretwood, my home track. My email is cypress1516@aol.com.

Looking forward to meeting you.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Joey Chase

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »
I would suggest driving down into MA and playing Crumpin-Fox Club, an RTJ course that is alot of fun to play.  It was my home club for quite a while before moving overseas.  Great relaxed atmosphere in the clubhouse as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back