News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Rye GC: JUBILEE COURSE New
« on: August 07, 2012, 05:25:55 AM »
While at Rye recently I recalled a well travelled chap wrote that Rye's Joob course was good...so off we went after lunch.  Four things struck me about the course.

1. The fairways are flat, nothing like on the main course.

2. The cross winds are more brutal than the main course. 

3. Good mix of putting surfaces/greensites.

4. This course has the bones for being MUCH Better.

The opener is a straight forward; legging a fair bit left to a slightly raised green.

The short second is a solid hole, again with wind coming off the right.  The short, two-shot third continues the theme of wind off the right.  The bunkering is a bit more interesting in that it is more in harmony with the green shape.

The 4th takes us to the far side of the course and ends with a green wrapped in dunes.  This hole was most interesting to me because of the best angle of approach.  From the tee, I thought the left side looked better because of the wind coming from the right.  Craig said the right was better (didn't say why).  I reluctantly followed his advise and found him to be spot on.  The terrain near the green moves a lot to the right.  #5 turns back toward the house and plays to a narrow green.  It also plays as a par 3 if one is happy to make the long walk.  In retrospect, I should have hit balls from both tees because the one-shot version looked a very good hole. 

Heading straight toward Rye Bay (and into the wind), #6, after a parade of fairly benign holes (wind excluded), suddenly cranks up the difficulty by quite a few notches.  The fairway narrows for the tee shot before rising to an angled green with no man's land down the right.

Behind the green.

The short seventh too is a difficult hole playing toward a green near the boundary.

Looking back to the high tee.

The excellent golf continues on #8.  Again, with a hard wind form the left this seeming huge island-like fairway is harder to hit than it appears.  A good drive will leave an opportunity to reach this par 5.  As on the first, the green is slightly raised, adding a bit more interest.

The final hole features a green ringed by lo-lying dunes.  I am not sure about the bushy trees on the left!!!

Considering it wasn't all that long ago that the area of land used for the course was under water, The Jubilee is quite an accomplishment and in many ways reminds me of Burnham's Channel 9.  The club does invite visitors to play the course, but at a hyper inflated price relative to the quality of the course.  I am told there are plans afoot for improving the course, lets hope it happens sooner rather than later as The Jubilee has a ton of potential.   2012

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:36:38 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Craig Disher

Re: Rye GC: JUBILEE COURSE
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:54:11 AM »
The wind on the Jubilee is more consistent than on the old but it doesn't reach the ferocity found on the 4th or 5th tees. On a windy day, walking along the first 3 holes can give the impression of a nice breeze off the right. After walking up to the 4th tee, standing up can be a challenge.

The Jubilee has 11 greens and different tees for some of the holes - the first 3 are repeated in an 18-hole round. The club is considering altering the first 3 - 1 and 2 are the weakest holes playing over nearly flat ground. Even now the course is a delight to play. The greens are close in character to the ones on the old, although quite smaller. The view from the 16th tee is the best on the property.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:15:07 AM »
The 4th with its pulpit green deserves to be known far and wide. Thanks Sean for the tour. You know, the way things are going down there, in a few decades they'll rename that course as the Golden Jubilee in order to name a new 18 as the Diamond Jubilee. Meanwhile the original course will be known as the "Sand Hills of England."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 08:39:08 AM »
The 4th with its pulpit green deserves to be known far and wide. Thanks Sean for the tour. You know, the way things are going down there, in a few decades they'll rename that course as the Golden Jubilee in order to name a new 18 as the Diamond Jubilee. Meanwhile the original course will be known as the "Sand Hills of England."

I liked that 4th hole a lot.   The 4th on the main course is on top of that dune.   I think I must have been close to the Jubilee green the first time I played Rye, given the wild hook I hit down in that direction.  Somehow my fine caddy found the ball.

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »
Sean,

Thank you for posting the pictures. I played it a few years ago with Mr Chaplin. It was great fun and a wonderful warm up before lunch.
The walk up to play number 5 as a par three is well worth the effort.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 10:22:40 AM »

I liked that 4th hole a lot.   The 4th on the main course is on top of that dune.   I think I must have been close to the Jubilee green the first time I played Rye, given the wild hook I hit down in that direction.  Somehow my fine caddy found the ball.

Thank you gents.

The Joob 4th green should be closer to the 4th tee on the Old Course - probably just below somewhere or maybe even past the 4th tee.  

Mark, for my money, the 6th is the best greensite or perhaps the 5th as a par 3.  Mind you, the 7th is very good as well - very Coltish.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:57:09 PM »
I have fond memories of this course. The day I was lucky enough to play Rye was a real howler. The club steward admitted that it was "blowing at least 35" because he had to take down the umbrellas outside. We started with the Jubilee, and I will never forget my iron shot into the crosswind on 7.

In the afternoon, I was soundly drubbed by a member on the main course, and almost lost my balance on the 5th tee in the wind. Needless to say, I loved Rye.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:38:20 AM »
Sean - thanks. I'm curious: for you, what changes /features would make the course much better?

Peter

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 03:44:08 PM »
Mr Cahoon - it's about time we had another game, any plans to come this way? Early warning of a match with the Outpost Club next spring, lots of golf, good food and fine wine......right down your street!
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »
Sean - thanks. I'm curious: for you, what changes /features would make the course much better?

Peter

Pietro

1. I would clear the junk to the right of the 6th green and probably make that area a deep bunker. 

2. Add 10-12 bunkers, but make them fairly large. For instance, on the corner of 1 I would make that bunker much bigger and more proud. 

Nothing too radical, just a way to not make the flat fairways so obvious because this element is quite different from the fairways of the big course. 

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back