News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

The Island Club = Narrow Fours Galore!
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
I played The Island Club near Dublin on Friday.  This par 71 course has 13 par 4s, three 3s and 2 par 5s. The first eight holes are par fours, with the front nine finishing with a par three. I'll add that a few of those fours effectively play as par fives, but who's counting?

TIC is the narrowest links course I have ever played. The rough is up everywhere in the British Isles this year due to all the rain, but it was exceptionally brutal here. I'm not a great fan of searching through high grass for golf balls and there was a LOT of this action at TIC.

I understand the desire to challenge golfers to hit the ball straight, but there was no letup anywhere here... miss any one of the very narrow fairways and you were probably going to be punished with the death penalty. It was a tough slog. Most of the 12 guys in my group were worn out and drained when they finished their round. Not supprisingly, no one suggested we play an extra nine!

On a positive note, there is a wonderful variety of designs with the par 4s and each is unique... no cookie cutter stuff here. The par threes are also particularly interesting and challenging.

The course has had a good number of changes over the years. Does anyone know about its history? There is not much on the website.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

Re: The Island Club = Narrow Fours Galore!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:28:37 PM »
Mike: some interesting comments by Ally on past and future changes at The Island - plus good back and forth with Mr Arble

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49484.0.html

Shame you found the course as you did. I did recall some of the holes feeling a bit squeezed in but when we played it the rough was not up so it wasn't a problem for us. Links golf in GB&I at the moment is not as fun as it could be, for sure, due to all the rain we've had.

Brian,

Great thread and fantastic photos. I can't disagree with too much said, except that the rough is much thicker and closer to the fairway than what I observed in your pictures. I can see where The Island would be worth another look if the rough was cut back and thinned out on the banks. Short of that I don't want to see it again.

Speaking of #14... to explain how narrow the narrowest of holes played... my teeshot bounced out of the fairway by one yard on the left and we never found the ball! A bit harsh I think.

There is a lot to like about TIC, but if one can't keep the ball on the short grass it will beat you to death.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:31:31 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back