News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kris Shreiner

Re: The Early Days of Pinehurst by Chris Buie
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 10:03:37 PM »
Bob,

Touching story...thanks. I believe Maples is an architect deserving of more examination to assess his contributions to the game. I too, know little about him, but he certainly seemed to be rather prolific in the region where he did a majority of his work.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 12:28:16 AM »
Chris, Thanks for this.

Excellent writing and a wonderful essay harking back to a bygone age. The Great Gatsby is alive and well in this panegyric.

I had not realised that Travis was an "Aussie" in the first instance. I may be out of touch but not much is made of that fact here in Australia.  Maldon, the small township in Victoria where he was born, had about 20,000 residents at the height of the gold rush in the 1850s which was reduced to 1600, as it is today, by 1890. He had pretty humble beginnings by the sound of it so I can imagine he did not "suffer(ed) from a shortage of ego" in getting to where he did.

A delightful piece.

Thanks Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Dave McCollum

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 02:18:15 AM »
Chris,

I wished you had gone on for another 5 or 10 thousand words.  And this was after I read your piece on #4 first, looking for this one.  I will have to read Mandell’s book now.  I was amused by the peach orchard experiment.  My course (Canyon Springs in Twin Falls, Idaho, USA), was originally a fruit orchard—apples, cherries, walnuts, pears, crabapples, asparagus, mulberries, peaches, and God only knows what else.  One can still pick and play your way around:  play a hole, eat an apple, munch some asparagus, eat whatever is in season.  This after (1880-1900) the rugged canyon where it resides was carved out of a high desert wilderness by the great Bonneville flood some 10,000 years ago.  Golf courses evolve.  The land on which they evolve and the people who care for that land as it drifts into becoming something as improbable as a golf course is always a good tale in my view.  If the course is iconic and endures, so much the better.  We make no claims in that department, nor promote ourselves as a pick-in-play destination, but the history is always compelling to me.  How the hell did this become a golf course?  What lunatics were responsible?  Very good stuff and well written.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 10:22:10 AM »
Chris,

Thank you for a wonderful piece of writing about the history of Pinehurst.  It's a special place as you've eloquently illustrated both in words and visuals in your "My Opinion" paper. 

- Howard
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tom MacWood

Re: The Early Days of Pinehurst by Chris Buie New
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 12:29:48 PM »
This is a quote from the December 1909 issue of American Golfer:

"The new golf course or number two eighteen hole course, opened last winter, and which awakened such universal discussion throughout the country, has now been perfected even to minutest detail and the complete result from the expert's standpoint, is a 'wonder.' Some idea of the difficulties to be encountered may be gained from the fact that the total number of hazards is one hundred and fifteen...

First criticized very severely, as Mr. Walter Travis predicted, it has now come to be regarded as standing practically alone, 'unique in this country, if not the world; a modern course for the modern ball. You have got to place, not bang anywhere, and you have got to think, a distinct value given to a particular shot on each hole.'"

These are concepts Travis had been preaching for a number of years, basically since his return from a tour of the UK in 1901.

On a side note John Dunn (JD) Tucker was the cousin of Willie Tucker, and the pro at Stockbridge GC in Massachusetts at the time he began at Pinehurst.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:51:24 PM by Tom MacWood »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back