News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Hufnagel

Re: Comments on PSA, Golf's Grand Design
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »
I DVR'd this today and am just watching it now...my favorite sound bite so far is from Tom Fazio..."total site manipulation"... He said it gets him in trouble with purists...

And now we are into Doak and Streamsong!

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 09:03:30 PM »
Kudos to Bob Cupp and Ron Whitten. This has been a tremendous undertaking and will (help) define Cupp's presidency of the ASGCA. Bob is a well organized and connected man in golf design, and he came through to help promote the game and its designers.

As others have said, it was only an hour. While overall excellent,   :D  I missed a mention (and some images) of Desmond's work.   :(

The major funding for this program has come from the Robert J. Stranksy Foundation. The Foundation seems to focus on education and the sciences, so I am not sure what the connect is to golf design. Stranksy was a third-generation owner of a Buffalo, N.Y.-based hardware store. The foundation has been around since the late 1980s. I assume the connect was through Bob Cupp, perhaps a former client or interested golf enthusiast. Regardless, it was a great gesture to golf architecture to have the program funded.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tom Yost

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 04:18:22 PM »
I noted that Jack is still sticking with his idea that you have to be highly skilled golfer to be able to design good golf courses.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 04:26:24 PM »
I DVR'd this today and am just watching it now...my favorite sound bite so far is from Tom Fazio..."total site manipulation"... He said it gets him in trouble with purists...

Didn't understand this comment.  There are a lot of holes at Streamsong where we didn't shape anything but greens and bunkers, and a couple where we had to change a lot, but I wouldn't call it "total site manipulation" at all.  I guess Mosaic did manipulate it a lot before we showed up, but not for golf.

RDecker

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 05:31:01 PM »
Glad to see a quality Super representing the University of Mass and the town of Lee, yeah go Bill.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »
All in all I liked the program. It gave me a chance to explain to my wife some of the interest I find in this hobby. It also gives some cover for my book purchases and the time I spend on this site.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:53 AM »

Didn't understand this comment.  There are a lot of holes at Streamsong where we didn't shape anything but greens and bunkers, and a couple where we had to change a lot, but I wouldn't call it "total site manipulation" at all.  I guess Mosaic did manipulate it a lot before we showed up, but not for golf.

Sorry, Tom - I wasn't very clear...

What I intended to communicate was that they went from "total site manipulation" and Fazio – to you, a leader in more minimalistic design and working with the land.  I thought it was a bit of an odd segue - but a nice study in contrasts I suppose.

I wasn't inferring that Streamsong was about "total site manipulation"...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:36:47 AM by Chris Hufnagel »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back