News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Aber's KNOLE PARK GC
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2018, 11:46:59 AM »
Wonderful stuff Sean. I think I must have been asleep when this thread was top of the charts previously as I can't recall seeing it. A couple of belated comments;

I note the plan at the top of the thread has a sketch of a green that looks very much like it was Simpsons handiwork. Does that maybe mean that the layout as shown was Simpsons revised course ?

Secondly with regards the wonderful looking 6th hole, (I imagine) you almost need to see it on plan or in an aerial to make sense of it. Presumably the photos were taken from the raised tees on higher ground ?

With reference to the proposed Embo development I was going to comment on the Embo thread about the shape of some of the proposed holes with their split fairways offset from each other, and say that is something you don't really see on classic layouts but perhaps this hole proves the lie to that assertion.

Niall

Niall

So far as I am aware, the map posted is the original.  I don't think Simpson got involved as a solo artist until shortly before WWII. The 2nd photo of #6 is from the 16th tee.  The hole is quite disorientating from the tee because its hard to know what the carry is on the left as that is the best line into the green. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:48:40 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall C

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2018, 07:17:31 AM »
Sean

That's an interesting comment about the 6th. I do wonder how easy it is to pull off those kind of holes, especially for visitor play and especially of there is a degree of blindness.

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2018, 03:55:11 AM »
Sean

That's an interesting comment about the 6th. I do wonder how easy it is to pull off those kind of holes, especially for visitor play and especially of there is a degree of blindness.

Niall

Niall

In a way you are getting at the heart of architecture. Back in Simpson's day I strongly suspect there were fewer social constraints on design.  Archies were already systematically eliminating the more Victorian aspects of design by choice.  Having the odd hole which is, well visually odd, must not have seemed a big deal for many, especially if the setting is at all special.  Today, archies fret over the smallest detail and how it will be received by the customers and dealt with by maintenance practices.  In other words, the pay-off is extremely important these days.  Its no wonder archies don't go far out on a limb and what a shame that is.  I think if given a completely free hand, the archies of ths recent renaissance would have produced more varied and interesting designs. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall C

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2018, 01:25:20 PM »
Sean

You may be right about not having to stick to any convention but I also tend to think that the gca's of that period, in the UK at least, "benefitted" from not having the same earth moving equipment they have now and perhaps therefore had to show a bit more ingenuity to deal with the lay of the land.

Not saying that was what happened here as it looks as though from the photo that a more conventional fairway design would have been possible. Either way, it makes for interesting golf.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back