News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Sekulic

NJ Suggestions.
« on: June 07, 2018, 07:24:12 PM »
I am going to be in NJ next week visiting family and friends. I am playing Hidden Creek on Thursday and Mountain Ridge on Saturday and I was also scheduled to play Whippoorwill on Friday but, that has fallen through as my friend who is a member, had to cancel, so as a result I am looking for somewhere to play.

I was considering heading over to Philly to spend the night and then looking for somewhere to play that Friday or heading beck to North Jersey and playing there on Friday.

I have played most of the public courses in North Jersey and have only played a couple of the the public courses in the Philadelphia area.

I am just looking for somewhere different to play and not attempting to be an access whore.

Cal Seifert

Re: NJ Suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 07:30:56 PM »
I think forsgate lets you maketee times through boxgroove. From the pictures I’ve seen it looks like a fun Banks course.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 07:50:01 PM »
Forsgate is my pick as well. A prime example of MacRaynorBanks.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 09:19:53 PM »
Haven't played Hidden Creek, but expect it to be awesome. Mountain Ridge is pure Ross, after the restoration, and you will freaking love it. Can't imagine a better complement than Forsgate Banks. Its bunkers maw and it will leave you breathless, through the last shot over the last bunker.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Keith Phillips

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 10:15:27 PM »
There are a dozen great private options within 10 miles of Mountain Ridge, most of which would accommodate you on a normal Friday, so if you are staying in the area on the Friday feel free to PM me for suggestions.

Kevin Neary

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 10:48:00 PM »
Just played Forsgate today and last week, and the course was in solid shape. Definitely worth taking a look, and it's right off the Turnpike, so it's on the way from Hidden Creek to Mountain Ridge. Lots of fun Banks holes, and a pretty easy walk, too.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 05:42:43 AM »
Brigantine Golf Links
Maccullough's Emerald Links
Twisted Dune

All within an hour of Hidden Creek.

Scotland Run is a bit up the ACE.

On the Pennsylvania side:
Jeffersonville
Paxon Hollow

Both solid munis. The former an excellent Ross.

http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 07:27:05 AM »
Played Suburban  two weeks ago.
Fantastic
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 07:40:01 AM »
Royce Brook East, a fun Steve Smyers design.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

B.Ross

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 12:36:47 PM »
if not being an access whore is important to you, let me strongly suggest getting on the banks course at forsgate through boxgroove. the price is great and the course is even better.

i'm sure some would find such a statement to be blasphemous around here but i actually enjoyed the banks course there more than yale after playing both in 2017.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 05:39:09 PM »
I believe only the Palmer course at Forsgate is available on Boxgroove

Cal Seifert

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 06:59:29 PM »
I believe only the Palmer course at Forsgate is available on Boxgroove

If thats true, thats one way to ruin excitement. Does not clearly say that anywhere on the site when I checked. Maybe I missed it.

Peter Gannon

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 10:58:54 PM »
Totally agree with Joe Bausch, Royce Brook East is worth a play in the area. 

I have to think every time I play it, especially 5,6, 7, and 11.  I think it's underated.  Never played the West.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 06:34:59 AM »
Cal...if you go to Forsgate and click on courses, it only shows the Palmer course.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »
Totally agree with Joe Bausch, Royce Brook East is worth a play in the area. 

I have to think every time I play it, especially 5,6, 7, and 11.  I think it's underated.  Never played the West.

Recent photo albums of both courses:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/RoyceBrookEast/index.html

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/RoyceBrookWest/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

MCirba

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »
The Palmer course at Forsgate might be the worst second course of any 36 hole club with a great course I can think of. 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
Played Suburban  two weeks ago.
Fantastic

Long-time Suburban member who would like to second that endorsement. Ping me if I can help, Frank.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Nate Oxman

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 09:37:36 PM »
If Forsgate - Palmer is your only option, stay away. When I was a member, I never even set foot on that course. I would think the club would be willing to help you out and get you out on the Banks, which is as awesome as mentioned. The first two holes might make you think, “Where’s the good stuff?” Then the answer smacks you right in the face when you walk off the second green and see the third (Eden).

I don’t want to steer this thread off topic, but Jeff, what’s the most endearing element of Suburban’s golf course? I know of it, but don’t know much about Tilly’s Work there.

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »
I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to suggest a few different courses, I truly appreciate it.

My game for Friday at Whippoorwill is back on as my host is going to be in town after all.

I have heard only great things about the course and I am really looking forward to playing it.

Once again, thanks for all the help and if anyone here is ever our in San Diego and looking for a game, send me a PM as I am always available to play

Pat Burke

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »
I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to suggest a few different courses, I truly appreciate it.

My game for Friday at Whippoorwill is back on as my host is going to be in town after all.

I have heard only great things about the course and I am really looking forward to playing it.

Once again, thanks for all the help and if anyone here is ever our in San Diego and looking for a game, send me a PM as I am always available to play

Whippoorwill is one of those courses that shines the light on the depth of great golf in the metro NY area.  So many people that play, and love golf have no idea it exists and it's a fantastic course.  Have fun!

Bill Crane

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 01:21:51 PM »

I really enjoyed Hidden Creek and it is an interesting contract to Chechessee Creek Club another C & C of similar vintage.

Public wise - you cannot do better than Atlantic City C C on Friday after Hidden Creek. 

If you like McRaynor Banks  and can get on Forsgate you will like it.   I suspect it is in good shape this time of year with the weather we have had lately, I am only about 14 miles away.  Mud may be a slight issue.  The Knoll would be an acceptable alternative - public access near Mtn Ridge.

We could maybe work out something at Springdale, in Princeton halfway between.   Wonderful W Flynn greens and an interesting setting.    Bausch Tour:     http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Springdale/index.html

PM me for more suggestions.         Bill

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 02:30:07 PM »
Why would anyone recommend Brigantine Links?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

B.Ross

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 05:43:58 PM »
if forsgate's now only offering the palmer course, that's new to 2017. i played the banks course through the site last fall. i made clear in my request that it was for the banks course, and that's what they got us on. it was well worth the greens fee.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 03:16:17 PM »
if forsgate's now only offering the palmer course, that's new to 2017. i played the banks course through the site last fall. i made clear in my request that it was for the banks course, and that's what they got us on. it was well worth the greens fee.

Thanks for sharing that. Its good to know, I hope to get out there someday.

Tim Martin

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »

Whippoorwill is one of those courses that shines the light on the depth of great golf in the metro NY area.  So many people that play, and love golf have no idea it exists and it's a fantastic course.  Have fun!

Whippoorwill is fantastic and hidden away in upper Westchester County. The original course that was laid out by Ross was later renovated by Banks and has a great mix of holes on a fine parkland site on both sides of Whippoorwill Road. I know the nines were flipped a number of years ago and I was told that the current ninth was too tough a finisher from a physical standpoint playing completely uphill. Maybe Vinnie Kmetz could chime in if he knows more about it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back