News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Dear

Medinah - why Bendelow?
« on: July 30, 2012, 02:43:54 AM »
While researching the history of Medinah CC and No. 3 in particular, it has struck me as strange that the Shriners chose Tom Bendelow to design their courses. You'd think, given their lofty aspirations for the club (three courses, enormous clubhouse etc), they might have gone for Ross or Mackenzie rather than someone who had a reputation for designing short and sporty courses built to attract the masses.
Can anyone (Jeff Brauer or JR Potts will probably know) suggest why they hired Bendelow?
Tony

cary lichtenstein

Re: Medinah - why Bendelow?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:09:24 AM »
Politics
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Medinah - why Bendelow?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »
Tony,

I really don't know, but Bendelow wasn't a total dufus, having done better work at the end of his career.  I am not sure, but think he was associated with American Park Builders, even if not in their employ, and maybe Medinah just went the design build route with them, and they brought Bendelow.  Good a guess as any.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back