News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Dear

Why so much emphasis on Par in professional events?
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »
Okay I want to preface this by saying I've no doubt this has been discussed here on several occasions and that it might be an old topic. But I am very curious to hear GCAers opinions.
Last week on 'Feherty', Peter Alliss said he would do away with Par. I've been thinking the same for years and always wonder why there is still so much emphasis put on it. The 6th at Lytham became a long Par 4 for the Open rather than a short Par 5. But guess what; the players who made a birdie (three) on the hole still came away a shot ahead of those making a Par (four), and those scoring a par (four) were a shot better than those making bogey (five).
I am aware of the history of Par, sort of...From Scottishgolfhistory.net

'Par is derived from the stock exchange term that a stock may be above or below its normal or 'par' figure.  In 1870, Mr AH Doleman, a golf writer, asked the golf professionals David Strath and James Anderson, what score would win 'The Belt', then the winning trophy for 'The Open', at Prestwick, where it was first held annually from 1861 to 1870.  Strath and Anderson said that perfect play should produce a score of 49 for Prestwick's twelve holes. Mr Doleman called this Par for Prestwick and subsequently Young Tom Morris won with a score of two strokes 'over Par' for the three rounds of 36 holes.

Tom Morris Jnr Youngest Open Winner

Although the first noted use of the word "Par" in golf was in Britain and predates that of Bogey, today's rating system does not and the Par standard was not further developed until later.  It was the American Women's golf association, who, from 1893, began to develop a national handicapping system for women. It was largely in place by the end of the Century.  The Men's association, founded in 1894, followed suit a few year's later.

In 1911, the United States Golf Association (Men) of the day laid down the following very modern distances for determining Par:
Up to 225 yards    Par 3
225 to 425 yards    Par 4
426 to 600 yards    Par 5
Over 601 yards    Par 6

As golf developed, scores were coming down, but many old British courses did not adjust their courses or their Bogey scores, which meant good golfers and all the professionals were achieving lower than a Bogey score.  This meant the US had an up-to-date national standard of distances for holes, while the British Bogey ratings were determined by each club and were no longer appropriate for professionals. The Americans began referring to one over Par as a Bogey, much to the British chagrin.
By 1914, British golf magazines were agitating for a ratings system similar to the US. However the Great War 1914-18 intervened and it was not until 1925 that a Golf Unions' Joint Advisory Committee of the British Isles was formed to assign Standard Scratch Scores (SSS), to golf courses in Great Britain and Ireland. Today, this committee is known as the Council of National Golf Unions (CONGU). It is the Golf Unions of each country (and not the Royal and Ancient) who determine Pars and Handicapping.'

In professional competitions where there is no handicapping or 'strokes', why is Par even an issue? Just to facilitate and easy-to-understand leaderboard - EV, +5, -10, etc? At the Open, US Open etc, I'd like to see the tee markers say 'Hole 14, 439 yards' for instance.
Tony

Greg Tallman

Re: Why so much emphasis on Par in professional events?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:43:46 PM »
The need for the American public to have information in an easily digestible form...  and TV.

Tiger at 234 through 64 holes and Phil at 256 through 70 holes is just too darn much to process.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:53:45 PM by Greg Tallman »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »
Par is the measurement we use to easily understand.....its as simple as that. The very best players probably just think about scoring the lowest they can on each hole....to the not so good players, making pars, making birdies making an eagle is a way to measure the fun.

Is there really anyone that thinks golf would be better without par and its removal would be for the betterment of the game as a whole.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 12:03:20 PM »
I guess we still need to convince people harder is not better.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »
I've said this in other threads: I think the modern emphasis on par has significant derivation in Clifford Roberts' scoring system that permits fans to simultaneously compare players, no matter where they stand in their rounds.

WW

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 12:19:59 PM »

That will be tough during the Olympics.  Yesterday I flipped over to the Canadian Open and quickly became nauseated at the ease of the course.  We had been watching Gymnastics, rowing, swimming and other sports where athletes pushed themselves to their very limits only to see some half baked hobbyist play golf.  My 17 year old son simply asked me why anyone watches that stuff (golf on TV).  I really don't know why with the exception of it being nap inducing.  

With all that, shouldn't the Marathon be the longest sport in the Olympics?  I just don't see 5 hour golf rounds translating well.  I can imagine Pheidippides laying dead on the floor of the assembly, his message undelivered, because everyone was stuck out golfing.

Harder is better.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 12:51:15 PM »

by "people" you mean the USGA, the R&A, the men of The Masters, and the PGA?

and course raters who place PV as #1?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back