News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: HEAVEN ON EARTH: Royal County Down Pics
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 06:37:26 AM »
Ben

Thanks for the pix.  It was a nice stroll down memory lane.

I completely agree with Ed, the greens are generally devoid of interest which is particularly notable for such a heaving property.  I was just at Ballybunion and Lahinch and these have it all over RCD (and the rest of Ireland).  Mind you, there is nothing too great happening, but enough to keep one keen. 

Ciao

Thanks Sean.

Re: the lack of contouring on the greens, I am one that doesn't mind it the way it is. RCD is a long and difficult golf course for most. Imagine it with bold contours! Yes, there could be a little more movement in them but it was kind of nice that good golf shots gave one a realistic chance of making putts.

Ben

Don't get me wrong, the course is great, just not quite the equal of Ballybunion or Lahinch and that is solely down to greens. 

It looks like RCD has been afflicted with fairway lines inside of bunkers.  I wonder if this is a recent Irish deal?  Sitting in the Lahinch house perusing the stoke saver I noticed the fairway down the left was brought in 6 or 8 yards from the time the aerial for the guide was taken.  Tight fairways and claggy rough too near greens was the story at both Ballybunion and Lahinch - though Bally was noticeably worse.  Thoughts - anybody?

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 04:11:59 PM »
Yes it is the best of courses

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »
Great photos thanks! I hope I will be there in a few weeks..

one thing I noticed is that the fairways look quite tight. Do they play that way?

Emil,

I found that the fairways were generous in their width.

Enjoy the visit - photos don't do it justice!

Ben
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 02:07:34 AM »
Ben,
thanks for going to all the trouble to resize your pics and name, etc

They are fantastic, put me down for finding the rain soaked reverse angle on 3, truly inspiring to get out on the golf course.

Question for all:
I am curious to the DG's thoughts on the "hairy" bunker lips and fringes, I think they look great, but how do they play, is one overly penalised if your ball finds one of these bearded beauties? Does this add to the difficulty of RCD, although a while ago & now and a foggy memory, I recall RCD as very difficult if not hitting it straight, which of course is often! :)

Brett,

I found that the hairy lipped bunkers were no more difficult than the pot/sod walled style bunkers found elsewhere.

I made the mistake a couple of times of trying to advance the ball too much and got caught out. Take your medicine as you would at the Old Course, for example, and your one shot penalty won't become two, or three...
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 02:27:30 AM »
Wonderful photos.

I find the yellow posts even more offensive than the pond!!!

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 05:29:29 AM »
Wonderful photos.

I find the yellow posts even more offensive than the pond!!!

In 2001 a lucky bounce of one of those posts stopped Jack Nicklaus ball from going into the pond therefore keeping him in contention for the Senior British Open.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »
I dont think one can ever tire from looking at pics. of RCD - Thanks

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 09:46:36 PM »
So if one were to eliminate the pond on 17, would the hole be otherwise acceptable enough to those who keep RCD out of Doak 10 range?  

Carl, I was just at County Down last week, so it is fresh on my mind.  I absolutely loved the course and can't wait for a return visit.  That being said, if given truth serum, I'm not sure it quite reaches the holy grail of Doakdom even if the pond on 17 were to be eliminated.  While the pond is remarkably out of place for a course that is otherwise so in tune with itself, at the end of the day, the pond is a flaw that seems very easily fixed.  And as Tom Doak points out in the "Doak 9s & 10s" thread, one bad or boring hole doesn't mean a course can't be a 10.  So I have a hard time discounting County Down solely because of the pond.  Rather, for me the bigger issue are the greens, which are surprisingly tame in comparison to other courses in the discussion for the best of the best in the world.  There just isn't much in the way of internal contouring.  And that absense of internal movement is striking for a course that is so bold in all other respects.  In my mind, the only way County Down's greens can be considered great is if you take into account the surrounding areas, which are very creative.  Can you have a Doak 10 without a great set of greens?  I don't know the answer, but I am sure that County Down pushes the envelope.  

Ed,

I hope all goes well with you.  I really enjoyed your RCD set on flickr (among your other great photo sets).  I also think that the greens at RCD could be spiced up a bit, especially on the back where the quality gradually declines (especially after 13).  Of course, RCD is still one of my favorite courses in the world, and the fact that they keep the greens very fast for a links course highlights the subtle breaks and keeps the greens somewhat interesting (for me at least).

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »
Happy memories! Thank you, Mark.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2015, 01:02:06 PM »
Hopefully the weather will cooperate this week and show the world how great this course is.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »
In a kickoff event, Rory--flanked by Rickie Fowler and Sergio Garcia--just said that the course is easier during the tournament, as marshals and fans are around to help locate balls. Rory revealed that, in a practice round with his father and coach a week ago, he lost five balls.

Is it really that penal?
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Will Lozier

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2015, 04:13:32 PM »
In a kickoff event, Rory--flanked by Rickie Fowler and Sergio Garcia--just said that the course is easier during the tournament, as marshals and fans are around to help locate balls. Rory revealed that, in a practice round with his father and coach a week ago, he lost five balls.

Is it really that penal?

Yes! As green as it looks, conditions are firm and fast and when the wind kicks up, it's easy to get your ball going one way or another fast. The playing corridors are quite narrow considering and there is little buffer between crisp fairway turf and THICK THICK native! I shot 89 and felt I had played well - was about a 2.5 at the time - but can't remember how many times I was hitting 3 off the tee.

GLawson

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2015, 04:26:24 PM »
It is a special place. I played last August and loved it but have to say that I enjoyed Royal Lytham and Formby more. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back