News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Re: Thracian Cliffs in Bulgaria
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 12:49:03 AM »
The tour evidently has antivenin on site due to the snakes.Tv showed a faster than I want to see snake chasing a frog.Resorts lose their appeal when you have to carry a snake club everywhere.

RJ_Daley

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 04:32:10 AM »
Good Lord, look at that drop shot hole. Looks like you need a parachute to get down to it.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 06:52:20 AM »
Matthew,

Thanks to the gift of Doug Ralston's "racism" post in the Tiger thread, that qualifies as only the second craziest thing posted on GCA today. Any other day, you'd have won gold!

I'm surprised "an aspiring golf course architect" would make such a comment about the routing of a golf course he has only seen in a few pics and on Google.

Ah Scott, didn't you know demons are often summoned by the sound [or print] of their names. Irony, huh?  :P

Turns out I am going to be in this vicinity in October. Doing a Black Sea cruise that passes this coast. Is this course literally on the outward coast, not in an inlet? If so, I might get a little look-see. Looks like a fun as hell course.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 09:04:01 AM »
It sure looks interesting on TV.   Not sure if I'd ever want to play it, though.  It'd probably give me a bout of acrophobia.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »
It sure looks interesting on TV.   Not sure if I'd ever want to play it, though.  It'd probably give me a bout of acrophobia.

Exactly Dan. I love this kind of three-dimensional golf.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »
Unfortunately, the poor design just led to a drop from within a bathroom. 

Doug Ralston

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 09:57:41 AM »
Unfortunately, the poor design just led to a drop from within a bathroom. 

You mean 'fortunately', isn't that the fun part of match play? Heck, from there you can conceed the hole AND get needed service at the same time.

Doug

PS: I went through their pictorial. Definitely take a few extra balls.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »
TV commentator just said the Euro Tour had to buy stock in a red/yellow/white paint company.    You really shouldn't need that much paint to prepare a course for play.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »
TV commentator just said the Euro Tour had to buy stock in a red/yellow/white paint company.    You really shouldn't need that much paint to prepare a course for play.

;D

Doug

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2013, 09:12:54 AM »
Yep - watching it this morning.   

I strongly recommend a visit to http://www.lostgolfballs.com before a visit, though.  :)

Doug Ralston

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »
Just an FYI. I asked google for a roadmap of the area. I got it fine. But later I got a 'trojan' on the computer, which my anti-v found and disabled. But when I looked to see where it came from, it was attached to the googlemap of Bulgar roads. So beware if you call one.

Doug

Mike Schott

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »
Obviously the course is in a beautiful setting. Whether the setting makes for a great golf course is another question. An 18 handicapper like myself would be brutalized by this course. It reminded me of the fantasy courses you see in golf apps for smartphones.

David Davis

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 09:41:48 AM »
I managed to watch a bit of this as well. An acquaintance of mine was the GM there back during development. He's married to a Bulgarian woman and they lived in the area back then.

My view on the course is that it looks fun, varied terrain but you need to be straight and on your game in order for it to be fun. I don't think it's a very good resort course, too difficult to be fun for the average player. It looks like it's a tough walk as well, especially in Bulgarian summer heat. I don't think I'll be booking my flights too soon to head down and experience it.

I thought it was quite interesting to see how much of a struggle a lot of the pros had with the course. Agree with Brian about the lushness of the vegetation right off the fairways. Greens looked great though.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back