News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cory Lewis

Re: Mission Accomplished: 1000 Golf Courses
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »
What are ten courses you want to play but haven't?
Rather than courses I'll tell you locations.  I've never been to England, Australia, the west coast of Ireland or the west coast of Scotland to play golf.  There are at least 10 in each of those locations I want to play.  In the US it would be Chicago, LACC, Honors, Milwaukee, Oakland Hills.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

astavrides

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »
What are ten courses you want to play but haven't?
Rather than courses I'll tell you locations.  I've never been to England, Australia, the west coast of Ireland or the west coast of Scotland to play golf.  There are at least 10 in each of those locations I want to play.  In the US it would be Chicago, LACC, Honors, Milwaukee, Oakland Hills.

Want to share your top 10 or 20 that you have played?

Cory Lewis

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »
Want to share your top 10 or 20 that you have played?
1. Royal Dornoch Golf Club
2. Royal County Down
3. Cypress Point
4. Sand Hills
5. Pine Valley
6. Pebble Beach
7. Royal Portrush
8. St. Andrews(Old)
9. Fishers Island
10. North Berwick(West Links)
11. National Golf Links of America
12. Pinehurst(No.2)
13. Prairie Dunes
14. Ballyneal
15. Bandon Dunes
16. Bethpage (Black)
17. Seminole
18. Friar's Head
19. San Francisco
20. Kingsley Club

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2012, 12:46:58 PM »
Cory,

So Augusta N. is not in your 'top 5 to see in the U.S.' and not in your 'Top 20 played.'  Is it not in your 'top 5 to see' or not in your 'top 20'?

Oh, and congrats....I've been wondering how many have reached 1000 that were younger than you.  Not many, I'd say, if any.

I didn't want to look through the posts again, but did someone ask you what you thought was the hardest course you played?  (I know that hitting it down the middle of every fairway makes them all easy, but....)

Daryl,

In the area, and couldn't give me a shout?   ;)

Cory Lewis

« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2012, 02:37:44 PM »
So Augusta N. is not in your 'top 5 to see in the U.S.' and not in your 'Top 20 played.'  Is it not in your 'top 5 to see' or not in your 'top 20'?
I've walked Augusta during the Masters and can honestly say I don't feel any sense of urgency to want to play it, plus I believe that I will one day play the 5 I listed, can't say that about Augusta.

I didn't want to look through the posts again, but did someone ask you what you thought was the hardest course you played?  (I know that hitting it down the middle of every fairway makes them all easy, but....)
Good timing!  The hardest course I've ever played is The Ocean Course.  Shot 90.  Lots of wind and the finals of the SC Amateur were being played that day, greens running about 12 on the stimp.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2012, 03:25:07 PM »
Gracious 1000 is indeed impressive, I am still counting but will not reach 1000.

I may have you covered on number of countries though.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2012, 10:27:13 PM »

Daryl,

In the area, and couldn't give me a shout?   ;)

I was heading across from Roxboro where I was working in the am and early pm, on my way towards Rocky Mount where I was going to play late pm at Golf Club at  Rocky Mount (formerly Ford's Colony at Rocky Mount) and where I stayed for the night.  When I realized that Zebulon CC was so close to my intended route of travel I decided I could stop by for a quick emergency 9 and still make Rocky Mount in time.

I was thinking about you because I was driving right through your area when I decided to stop at Zebulon, and Cory because even though he was further away he might be bummed because he was the one who helped spawn the idea of crossing "Z" off my list.  However I didn't think either of you would be able to drop everything and get to Zebulon in time to meet me for the quick "drive by" 9 and I figured Rocky Mount was that much further for either or both of you.   Sorry.

Have either or both of you ever played Rocky Mount before?  What a sad situation.  The golf course is a very nice routing, but it opened in 2008 or 2009 I think, and there looks to be about 30 houses that I saw on a property that looks like it cold have been 300-400 planned (I am guessing on both of those numbers) and suffice it to say that it never happened like they wanted.  The course went bankrupt, and I believe closed completely for several months was recently sold to someone or at least reopened.  The tees, fairways, and greens were in good shape, but you can see that the maintenance budget is just not quite there the bunkers are pretty rough.  But it is very reasonable $35 on the weekend I think, and probably $20-25 weekdays.   Just sad to see what was a very enjoyable golf course struggling to make it.

18th at Golf Club at Rocky Mount
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:30:54 PM by Daryl "Turboe" Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2012, 09:07:22 AM »
Daryl,

Just bustin' yer chops.  These days, if I get out, I have to take my 13-year-old daughter with me....she'll be playing on her HS team in a few weeks, so she can hold her own.  Though, for being in this area for 18 years, I've yet to play Zebulon CC.

Yes, I've played Rocky Mount, a few years ago....a decent-enough course. Didn't know it had closed, which is what happened to my previous (though very brief) home course, Olde Liberty.  Currently (or was) closed, waiting for conditions to improve.  Only housing on a few holes (which was nice for that brief time I was there).

Of course you remember what happened to Wake Forest GC....was supposed be a buyer of the course last year, who was going to renovate it and re-open it....only to back out.

Here's a question for you....how many courses in SC have you NOT played?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:09:53 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »
I started doing a count on my website and can only come up with 200 courses at age 46 (about 35 years of golfing.) That makes this accomplishment incredible in my eyes. Congratulations.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Paul Jones

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2016, 09:07:46 AM »
What number was Sage Valley on your list?
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Cory Lewis

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »
What number was Sage Valley on your list?
I can't believe I wrote this thing 4+ years ago.  Where does the time go?  Sage Valley was #1191.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2016, 09:27:21 AM »
Cory,

What's your total number of courses to date?

Mark

Cory Lewis

« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2016, 09:39:19 AM »
What's your total number of courses to date?
1223, should be at 1240 by the end of the year.  Aiken still isn't one of them!  I think I will make that my #1 priority for next year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back