News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cory Lewis

Re: Mission Accomplished: 1000 Golf Courses
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2012, 02:34:59 PM »
Barring injury or something catastrophic I hope to hit #1500 this fall sometime.  You caused me to do some research and I am still missing "Z" as well at "X".  Where did you play a Z course?  
Daryl. Great to hear you are closing in on 1500!  I'd love to see a thread on here with your thoughts when you get to 1500.  My Z was actually pretty close to home, Zebulon Country Club in Zebulon, North Carolina.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2012, 02:51:53 PM »
Congratulations Cory!

What was your favorite Ross course along the journey?

Favorite 'hidden gem' Ross course?

Favorite Ross course played where you'd love to be a member?

Cheech- You spent 5 hours in the car with him yesterday and you didn`t get those questions answered? WTF were you guys talking about? ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »

Cheech- You spent 5 hours in the car with him yesterday and you didn`t get those questions answered? WTF were you guys talking about? ;D

Bet you $20 it was Cheech who told him about the "club" in Gleason, Wisconsin. ;D

EDIT - I take that back Tim - Club X to C ISN'T a strip club!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:17:48 PM by Eric Smith »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
Cory and Daryl I am really a little ambivalent about this and I would genuinely welcome your thoughts. Cory said he loves playing new courses. All of them? Equally?

E.g. once I tasted good steak avoided it unless I thought it would be a lot better than the average bit of rubber that gets served up.

On wine I’m a little less discerning, but I avoid plonk and have walked away from a glass after only a single sip.
I love music but I no longer want to own all the albums produced by an artist I admire.

Tom Doak gave a 3 to the average golf course. Surely to have played so many and to plan days with upto 4 courses, you can’t be selecting with an eye to quality. Don’t you ever think I wish I’d stayed at x and played 36? If 3 is the average you must have played a fair no of 2’s?

I’m not trying to be confrontational I’m just really curious as to what drives you to see so many?

For the record after 12 years as a golfer I’ve played about 190 courses. 
Let's make GCA grate again!

Cory Lewis

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
Did you ever pass up a second round on a "great" course to go play another?  If so, what was the best course you passed on the 2nd 18 to get another course on the books?
Mark,

That one is tough to answer because of the pass up part.  Most of the top tier private courses were allowing me to play as a professional or invited guest.  The option of going back out is almost never there.  For example, the day I played Shinnecock, I left to go play Piping Rock afterwards.  If the assistant I played with had given me the option of playing Shinny again I would have happily blown off Piping Rock.  

The best answer I can give you is when I played Yeaman's Hall and probably could have gone back out.  Instead I played Briar's Creek :'(

By the way, when you coming to Pinehurst?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:23:04 PM by Cory Lewis »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »
My Z was actually pretty close to home, Zebulon Country Club in Zebulon, North Carolina.

Well there you go.  I hadn't even thought about that one.  That is one I can easily get by sometime as well. 

OK now I am really going to test the depth and breadth of our GCA family knowledge...  Anyone who has played both Zebulon Country Club and Zephyrhills Municipal Golf Course please give me a quick dissertation on the differences and relative positives and negatives of each.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Cory Lewis

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »
Shit on 1000 different toilets.
Well I've played 1000 different courses so .  . . you do the math ;D

Ron Csigo

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Congratulations Cory!

What was your favorite Ross course along the journey?

Favorite 'hidden gem' Ross course?

Favorite Ross course played where you'd love to be a member?

Cory shows up at my house Thursday morning looking like this guy. 

What do you think we talked about? ;)
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2012, 11:24:23 PM »
Cory and Daryl I am really a little ambivalent about this and I would genuinely welcome your thoughts. Cory said he loves playing new courses. All of them? Equally?

E.g. once I tasted good steak avoided it unless I thought it would be a lot better than the average bit of rubber that gets served up.

On wine I’m a little less discerning, but I avoid plonk and have walked away from a glass after only a single sip.
I love music but I no longer want to own all the albums produced by an artist I admire.

Tom Doak gave a 3 to the average golf course. Surely to have played so many and to plan days with upto 4 courses, you can’t be selecting with an eye to quality. Don’t you ever think I wish I’d stayed at x and played 36? If 3 is the average you must have played a fair no of 2’s?

I’m not trying to be confrontational I’m just really curious as to what drives you to see so many?

Tony, I can't answer for either Cory or Daryl, but as one who has played over 1200 courses, including 200 in GB&I, I no longer go out of my way to seek out new courses.  Instead, I enjoy belonging to clubs scattered hither and yon where I can meet old friends know the staff and stay for a few days.  I will be in England to do a retreat this September. Afterward I will go to Saunton where I have become and overseas member.  I played there once years ago but thought it might be a good place to spend a week, get to know some guys and play in a couple of the competitions. 

I must, however, add that playing a lot of courses afforded me the opportunity to meet a great many people, some of whom have become good friends, including our Norwegian friend Daryl Boe.  I can go to most any state in the US and find a game.  It is a grand sport played over lovely fields of dreams.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2012, 12:46:09 AM »

Tony, I can't answer for either Cory or Daryl, but as one who has played over 1200 courses, including 200 in GB&I, I no longer go out of my way to seek out new courses.  Instead, I enjoy belonging to clubs scattered hither and yon where I can meet old friends know the staff and stay for a few days.  I will be in England to do a retreat this September. Afterward I will go to Saunton where I have become and overseas member.  I played there once years ago but thought it might be a good place to spend a week, get to know some guys and play in a couple of the competitions.  

I must, however, add that playing a lot of courses afforded me the opportunity to meet a great many people, some of whom have become good friends, including our Norwegian friend Daryl Boe.  I can go to most any state in the US and find a game.  It is a grand sport played over lovely fields of dreams.

When I am traveling across the country or near a major metropolitan area I normally can plan far enough in advance that I am getting to play more Doak 7's than 3's.  But where your question does have some validity and maybe I have a screw loose, but when I am driving down the road on my sales calls and it is late on a beautiful afternoon I will stop to play any course that I have never played before just by seeing what is close on my GPS.  I have played some 1's & 2's I can tell you that, but I have also met some unbelievable people (players, owners at family run courses, etc) I have seen some of the most bizarre things on a course you would ever care to see, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

My theory is that I am blessed to have played many amazing courses, but I also never want to forget my roots where I first played on baked out flat homemade courses in SD.  I have met people that won't play anywhere but the cream of the crop, and I vowed I would never become that guy.  I often have friends who say you were 10 miles from ABC course and your could have made a phone call and gotten out to play there, why did you play XXX course?  And my answer was I played ABC 2 years ago, and I had never seen XXX before.  I really love seeing some of the little family owned/designed/built courses (many of which are only 9 holes) that dot the SC landscape.  To those people it is a labor of love and I am happy to put a few bucks in their coffers.   I eventually want to try to play every course I can (especially in SC).

I played a place several weeks back that is not on many peoples radar screen but was such a treat.  It is called Penny Branch GC down in SE corner of SC.  It is family owned, and built on the family farm, one owner was behind the counter while her husband was out running maintenance equipment.  And it was a great little course.  They were so appreciative to have someone from outside the area come play.  I have to admit I really liked that it was listed as "A McKenzie Design" (the last name of the family that owns and runs the place).  $29 weekdays and $35 weekends and it was a lot of fun.

When one of my friends looks at me sideways when I tell him where I played at one of those little small town 9 hole jobs along the road I have a line I always use...  "If you are going to play them all, you have got to play them all."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:48:19 AM by Daryl "Turboe" Boe »

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2012, 12:54:42 AM »
BTW Tony, I am with you on the steak and wine snobbery.  Growing up on a beef cattle ranch in SD I may not have played a lot of great golf courses growing up, but I have had many great steaks.  I don't like bad steaks or cheap wine.  But to Me golf is not something that lower quality has to be a complete buzz kill.  There are so many other facets to the game that you can concentrate on playing with good people etc that can help me get past the lack of quality or architectural interest on some rounds.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2012, 08:18:57 AM »
Cory said he loves playing new courses. All of them? Equally?

Surely to have played so many and to plan days with upto 4 courses, you can’t be selecting with an eye to quality. Don’t you ever think I wish I’d stayed at x and played 36? If 3 is the average you must have played a fair no of 2’s?

I will try to explain myself though probably not as eloquently as Turboe.  When I take a vacation I will always fill the trip with quality courses.  Where I get the quantity from is my days off from work.  I have been very fortunate to work in two golf hotbeds, Philadelphia and Pinehurst/Raleigh area.  Generally I like to go out and play new courses on my days off.  I always make sure to play one good quality course.  After that I simply like to find something new I haven’t seen. 

A typical day would be a very nice private club that I haven’t played followed by two public/municipal courses.  There are lots of hidden treasures among public and municipal courses IMO.  Even if it’s only one hole or one shot you hit, there is always something great to be found on a new golf course. 

People have asked me if I’m going for 2000.  My answer to that is probably not unless I move to another golf hotbed like Phoenix, Naples, Palm Springs, or West Palm.  At this point I’ve played every golf course within 50 miles of Pinehurst and before I left Wilmington, DE I had played every course within 50 miles of it as well.  I don’t travel for work like Turboe, who I believe will hit 2000 for which he has my jealousy and respect :)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2012, 12:15:40 PM »
To be fair, you cannot count any Chinese courses as starting with X. That is just a more or less lame transcription into pseudo English or another Western language. If the course is actually marketed with an English name, then that is a different story of course, but then it probably wouldn't start with X. I believe you would have to play more than 40000 courses if you were to cover the Chinese alphabet :)

Anyhow, the letter Z is fairly common in German, so if need be I can set anyone up. Not much luck on the X-front though :)

Ulrich
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:17:37 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2012, 12:32:40 PM »
monumental feat, 1000 courses and at the age of 31 is even more impressive. If I had done that at age 31, I think my next 1000 project would be "women", there are an equal number of varieties to test drive, blondes, brunettes, redheads, every ethnicy...oooooooo, to be young again
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve Lang

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2012, 10:53:18 PM »
 8) thats pretty cool..

now are you going to still keep count?

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/state.aspx?state=MI  says there's 1047 courses in pure michigan.. how many plays there?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Cory Lewis

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2012, 09:22:16 AM »
Yes, I'll still keep count.  I see 2000 as unlikely but not impossible ;D

says there's 1047 courses in pure michigan.. how many plays there?
Only played 9 courses in Michigan.  Sounds like a Michigan trip or two is in order!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Many thanks for the open replies guys.   

May I congratulate you on retaining that sense of childlike wonder at seeing what happens next and being totally open to new experiences.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jonathan Decker

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2012, 08:27:59 PM »
8) thats pretty cool..

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/state.aspx?state=MI  says there's 1047 courses in pure michigan.. how many plays there?

That number might be a bit outdated...Michigan lost about 10/year the last decade or so.  Much to my surprise all the Metro Detroit private clubs, are still private, albeit some in a much scaled down form. 

I spent the first ten years of my golfing career in Michigan...6 on my list no longer exist:-(

Cory Lewis

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2012, 05:40:08 AM »
Thought I would share a picture of the 2nd best thing about playing 1000 courses, which is when your very thoughtful sister-in-law gets you a cake:

I hadn't thought this was a cake worthy event, but who am I to question ice cream cake :)

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2012, 11:12:40 AM »
8) thats pretty cool..

That number might be a bit outdated...Michigan lost about 10/year the last decade or so.  Much to my surprise all the Metro Detroit private clubs, are still private, albeit some in a much scaled down form. 

I spent the first ten years of my golfing career in Michigan...6 on my list no longer exist:-(

According to the GAM (golf association of Michigan) there are 885 total courses per their annual course guide.  I have found several courses that aren't in the publication and several that are in the publication that are NLE.  Thus, that is probably a good #.

Chris

astavrides

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2012, 03:01:43 PM »
Not only did he not hit a ball OB, but Cory hit every fairway of those 1000 courses.  Not only did he not lose a ball, he played the same ball for those 1000 rounds.  The first two layers of the ball were worn through by the end, leaving only 3 layers. 
Cory is a modern day Moe Norman, without the autism.
Congratulations!

Andy Troeger

« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2012, 11:21:59 PM »
Congrats Cory. I am also 31 and feel fortunate to have seen a lot of golf courses, but I certainly can't keep up with your pace. I'm hoping to hit 400 before the end of the golf season. Living in New Mexico doesn't help though--having lived here five years I have to drive a good hour to see anything new at all, drive a half-day to see anything better than average, and get on an airplane to see anything great. Given that, my chances of getting to 1,000 are probably not so good.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2012, 07:39:18 AM »
Once again Cory you have inspired me to greater heights....

Yesterday afternoon...

Let me know if you find some cheap tickets to China, I just might be on that trip with you!!!

Cory Lewis

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2012, 08:21:08 AM »

Awesome Daryl! Love it!  I'll start checking on tickets to China ;D

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2012, 08:55:23 AM »
Cory:

What are ten courses you want to play but haven't?

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back