News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Sturges

Is there another course like The Ocean Course at Kiawah?
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »
Is it a links?  It's on a beach (lots of courses are on a beach), but the areas between the holes are really like beach dunesland.  Plus...there is a lagoon bordering the non-Ocean side of the back nine, and there is a pond in front of the 17th green.  Is there another course like this in the world?  There is a pond on Royal County Down, but the land between holes is less "beachie" than at The Ocean Course.  Is this a totally unique course, or are there other courses that resemble the features of the Ocean Course?

TS

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:24:11 AM by Ted Sturges »

Garland Bayley

Re: Is there another course like The Ocean Course at Kiawah?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »
Whistling Straits?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ted Sturges

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
Garland, I don't see those two as "alike".  The areas between holes are not sandy at WS, and the beach is below "cliffs" (and is not much of a beach). 

TS

Josh Tarble

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:45:50 AM »
I think the Ocean Course probably has more in common with SC low country courses than any other style.  Most of those courses seem to be fairly "beachy" with sandy soil while remaining very different from a links style. 

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 12:18:37 PM »
The first course that jumped to mind is NLE - Lido.

Those in the know might be able to chime in on this, but I'd bet there are a few courses in New Jersey that have similar characteristics.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
Ted, You ask about features, but seem to be more concerned with areas between holes.
What am I misunderstanding?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt MacIver

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »
I'm thinking many courses between Myrtle Beach and Jacksonville share some of the characteristics as you mentioned on TOC, but probably only for a few holes at a time.  TOC is one of a kind and probably cost more to build any other nearby comp. 

Ted Sturges

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 01:40:44 PM »
Ted, You ask about features, but seem to be more concerned with areas between holes.
What am I misunderstanding?

Hi Adam,

I guess I'm just trying to put the course in context with other courses.  Is there another course in the world that "looks" like The Ocean Course?  It is set up as a classic links routing (up and back in one direction, and then down and back in the other direction)...but the course is unique with the sand dunes between the holes, and then the pond and the lagoon area.  Was Pete thinking it was going to look like __________when he got done?  Machrihanish has a nice beach, but there are no sand dunes (exposed sand) within the property.  But there must be some other courses in the world that look like this one.  Just looking for some feedback on that.

TS

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 01:52:38 PM »
Even though the settings are quite different I find The Ocean Course, TPC Sawgrass and PGA West Stadium to all be very similar golf courses with similar angles at play and similar choices presented to the player.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »
... The areas between holes are not sandy at WS, ...

Don't try telling Dustin Johnson that.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ted Sturges

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 03:30:01 PM »
... The areas between holes are not sandy at WS, ...

Don't try telling Dustin Johnson that.

That was a "bunker"...remember?    ;)

Matt Kardash

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »
The Ocean course seems to me to be a hybrid of a links and carolina low country course...with the obvious Dye take on it all. I think the course maintains a cohesive enough look. Honestly, I don't even find the 17th to be all that out of place. If the course presented itself as a traditional links then I think it would be out of place, but that is not what the Ocean course is.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back