News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Kardash

Re: I don't really like Augusta anymore.
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2023, 07:17:15 PM »
I feel that The Masters is the greatest sporting event, and perhaps the greatest entertainment event, in the world and the grounds upon which it is contested not only measure up, but actually enhance, the experience.

-Keith.
I would wager you are an American with that opinion, because most of the world would definitely say the World Cup is the greatest sporting event.  ;)
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2023, 08:50:05 PM »
JK:  Not a big fan of the NIL funds the college players in any sport can earn, or is the dislike focused on golf?

The NCAA and their very arbitrary and capricious rules regarding amateurism would devolve into a thread almost as long as "Who are you guys" or "Cobbs Creek"

When an amateur golfer makes more for wearing a shirt than 99% of the class A Pros who sell shirts we have a problem. College gear only at the Masters. Have some respect.

I like the NIL as a form of equity for athletes who sell tickets. I hope Bayou Barbie is rich as hell.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2023, 09:19:17 PM »
John,

When a club like Augusta with a membership of incredible wealth and means is praised for monetizing everything and anything related to its tourney (for example the other thread where you can buy a eat-it-at-home food kit) and a college kid is criticized for what will likely be their only opportunity to play on a big stage and make a relatively small bit of extra cash, then I would agree, we do in fact have a problem.

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2023, 09:50:23 AM »
How many better sets of greens are there than ANGC?

I'd very much like to hear more discussion on this, because even without having been on property I'm amazed by Augusta's set.   
Instagram: mj_c_golf

Mike Hendren

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2023, 09:51:43 AM »
The second shot on a par five is often cited as a key criterion for greatness.  If so Augusta wins in a landslide.  It ranks highly in the number of truly great holes as well in my book.  A distinction should be made between the Masters tees and maintenance and member tees and maintenance.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2023, 09:55:30 AM »
Kalen, monetizing a sandwich for $1.50?
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Thomas Dai

Kalen Braley

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2023, 11:35:39 AM »

Mike,

I'm assuming you're talking about the on premise food prices, and that's great.  But when you factor in the cost of the ticket, travel costs, and lodging, you're paying a small fortune to buy a cheap sandwich.

For the rest of us who will likely never set foot on ANGC, there is this which is certainly not cheap: (buns not even included)

https://www.southernliving.com/taste-of-the-masters-package-7111223

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2023, 01:33:15 PM »

Mike,

I'm assuming you're talking about the on premise food prices, and that's great.  But when you factor in the cost of the ticket, travel costs, and lodging, you're paying a small fortune to buy a cheap sandwich.

For the rest of us who will likely never set foot on ANGC, there is this which is certainly not cheap: (buns not even included)

Why so much hate for courses you will never play. It’s like hating the popular kids in middle school.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2023, 01:49:35 PM »
JK:

Point taken on your opinion of NIL @ AGNC.

Putting the cleat on the other hoof, NIL sponsors are liking seeing their logo on TV for two days and maybe more if one of their players makes the cut.

Bayou Barbie - haha

I did just read an article in a real newspaper that talked about the UCLA star women's players staying another year in school in order to have chartered plane flights, massages, top training & nutrition in school rather than play in the WNBA and fly commercial, etc.

The WNBA is not the NBA.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2023, 05:51:33 PM »
I feel that The Masters is the greatest sporting event, and perhaps the greatest entertainment event, in the world and the grounds upon which it is contested not only measure up, but actually enhance, the experience.

-Keith.
I would wager you are an American with that opinion, because most of the world would definitely say the World Cup is the greatest sporting event.  ;)

+1
Matt, a minority of Americans (myself included) have the good sense to agree with the rest of the world regarding this.

Golf-wise, I'd miss a Masters before I ever missed The Open.

Sean_A

« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2023, 02:18:28 AM »

Mike,

Stop being silly.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2023, 04:45:19 PM »
A perspective from afar - https://irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/tour-news/2023/04/06/i-still-love-the-masters-in-spite-of-everything/
Atb

Only an irish man makes his point with so many references to christian religeon.

and the greatest of them all was the late Dave Allen

Irish Comedian Dave Allens Gag Joke about the Golfing Priest - YouTube

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2023, 02:02:56 AM »
A perspective from afar - https://irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/tour-news/2023/04/06/i-still-love-the-masters-in-spite-of-everything/
Atb

Only an irish man makes his point with so many references to christian religeon.

and the greatest of them all was the late Dave Allen

Irish Comedian Dave Allens Gag Joke about the Golfing Priest - YouTube

Happy Easter!

Every time I get my copy of Irish Golfer through the letter box, I turn firstly to the last page which has John Craven’s column. I find him an highly entertaining writer.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2023, 06:49:16 AM »
And now a few years on I dislike ANGC even more.

The Masters has become just a carnival.

I dislike the huge ugly bunkers.

I dislike the zero definition.

I dislike the ridiculous slopes that gather a ball towards the hole and even more hate the ones where the spin brings the ball off the green.

I think they have messed with it so much holes that were much more dramatic half pars have been reduced to coin tossing, although in their defence the best player won.

God, I am a miserable sinner sometimes. Somebody fight me, tell me I have got everything so wrong.

PS Great Masters though.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back