News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Brzezowski

Golf in Germany K Town area
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »
Looks like my daughter will be spending a few years in Germany, anyone know of ANY courses over there close to the  bases ??
Thanks, Ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Bill_McBride

Re: Golf in Germany K Town area
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:32:39 PM »
I played a course in Dusseldorf where the first cut of rough was knee high!

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 08:42:55 PM »
Looks like i will be needing a good map, thanks.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »
Where will she be based?   There are definitely GCA.com participants in Europe. 

Tony Ristola

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 04:03:05 AM »
Where is she based?

Bill; that's not unusual. Could be part of their permitting agreement.

The Germans have two terms for rough; the shorter cut along the fairway is called semi-rough, the deep stuff... hard rough.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 04:07:04 AM by Tony Ristola »

David Davis

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:41:05 AM »
Ed,

There are probably 30-40 courses within an hours drive. I doubt it if anyone besides military will know what K Town refers to in Germany however. Kaiserslautern has 3 courses right there (none of which I've played) but reviews seem decent enough baring in mind that these are reviews by average golfers and not by any type of golf industry experts. I'm sure they are fine courses probably surviving partially off the NATO base.

David
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:45:49 AM »
Thanks David for the info, I really appreciate it.

She will be going over with her husband who is in an administrative position with DOD schools. Looks like a 4 year visit so I will need something to do besides soaking up the local, beer? , culture and visiting gift shoppees.

If there are any GCA guys over there please let me know.

I used K Town because she told me that was the local lingo. Thanks again guys, the depth of knowledge on this site is amazing.

ed

Tony Ristola

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:17:03 AM »
Ed,

There are probably 30-40 courses within an hours drive. I doubt it if anyone besides military will know what K Town refers to in Germany however. Kaiserslautern has 3 courses right there (none of which I've played) but reviews seem decent enough baring in mind that these are reviews by average golfers and not by any type of golf industry experts. I'm sure they are fine courses probably surviving partially off the NATO base.

David
LOL... Brain farted having forgotten the thread title; K-Town. Doh.

Here is probably the best golf course finder for Germany: http://www.1golf.eu/

Ben Sims

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 10:34:22 AM »
You're going to have a hard time finding anything of note within a reasonable distance.  The course on base at Ramstein isn't terrible, but it is notoriously soggy for most of the year.  There is a window between early June to late August where the weather is as nice as anywhere on earth.  The course firms up some around that time, but not appreciably.  The breakfast buffet at the club is pretty solid.  And the Sunday brunch at the Officer's Club--assuming your son-in-law has access--is legendary. 

There is a course just a few km north of the base that might be worth a couple hours worth of getaway.  I've never played it, but the feedback is good from buddies who have.

http://www.golfclub-barbarossa.de/index.php

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 11:16:56 AM »
Thanks Ben, looks like a good track there.

The son in law is fairly high up the food chain so hopefully that will work well. Played over here a few years ago with a gent who wrote for their, Germanys, Golf Digest. Cannot find his card anywhere. He had a very nice putter and gave me the place to buy it, for some reason I passed at an $900 putter. It did have a cool cover however.

ed

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back