News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Drew Harvie

Cabot Citrus Farms on March 23
« on: February 07, 2024, 04:54:05 PM »
Hi all,

Lots of social media chatter these days about Cabot Citrus Farms, and my website, Beyond The Contour, is hosting an event there on March 23 to play Kyle Franz's Karoo, and Mike Nuzzo's Squeeze. Register in the link below:

There are a few spots in the event still available. The day includes 28 holes of golf, food, and some merchandise as well. Any questions, please feel free to DM or message me here or social media or via the website.

Hope to see some of you there!

I'd post photos but I find it a bit confusing to size it properly, so here's an article my colleague Zachary Car wrote about CCF before vs after that I think is well done:

A Noted Skeptic's First Look at The Karoo at Cabot Citrus Farms

Tim_Weiman

Re: Cabot Citrus Farms on March 23
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 02:19:09 PM »
Drew,

Thanks for the link. Very interesting course review.
Tim Weiman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 03:31:44 PM »
Can I just say the "CCF" initials are going to throw me off for a while?

I see that and think "Country Club of Florida," because CC at the start of a name nearly always stands for Country Club.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 08:18:29 PM »

I see that and think "Country Club of Florida," because CC at the start of a name nearly always stands for Country Club.

I think you will adjust in time...

Drew Harvie

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 07:47:22 AM »

I've heard some people in Toronto refer to "Cabot Cape Breton" as "CCB," whereas I grew up (dating myself) knowing it as just Cabot or Cabot Links. Obviously, with the rapid expansion of the company, it needed a slight rebrand, but in Toronto, CCB would, in my mind, refer to Country Club of Buffalo given how close it is!

I do agree with BCD, though, having been on site and around the project a bit you do come around to CCF to the point where I only think of Citrus Farms. It might be harder to shake CCB in my mind because Buffalo is a great golf course!

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 09:53:46 AM »
I played the Karoo Course on Wednesday. If I didn't know better,, I wouldn't have thought it used to be WW Pine Barrens, it's soooo different. The sand is visually intimidating. The greens have lots of interest... many are really big in the league of Streamsong Black or Old Mac. There are several centerline hazards and uphill and downhill shots. It was a fun day. Sorry I can't return on March 23.

Here's a link to photos of the course from Wednesday: [size=78%]https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72177720314673545[/size]

edited to fix link
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 09:57:19 AM by Stewart Abramson »

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 10:57:15 AM »

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 09:09:32 PM »
Excellent video.  Playing Karoo course in 4 weeks and looking forward to it.  One problem tho is the yardage for a 73 year old, 18 handicapper, who hits the ball 200 with his best drive.  Prefer a course between 5800 and 6000 yards.

The Cabot website indicates yardages of approximately 4.2k, 5.3k, 6.3k, 7k and 7.6k.  Most would agree that five tees should be enough. But 7.6 K is clearly only an elite pro tee.  The 4.2k tee makes perfect sense. That leaves the other 3. There should be some way of having a tee between 5.7k and 6.1k or so.

When I play, it will be with my wife and likely a random twosome.  I have no problem with choosing a tee based on the hole. But that can be very annoying to the other two.

I fully understand that everyone cannot have the perfect distance on every hole. I also understand that too many tees is an eyesore, but the difference from 5300 to 6300 is just too much.

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 09:56:58 PM »
"I fully understand that everyone cannot have the perfect distance on every hole. I also understand that too many tees is an eyesore, but the difference from 5300 to 6300 is just too much."

Cliff -

Hopefully you can do a "combo" round, playing the 5.3k tees on some of the holes and the 6.3k on the other holes. That way you can create a 5.8k  course.

DT

JC Urbina

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 10:06:30 PM »
The photos I have seen tell me that youngster  ;D   Kyle Franz is a pretty creative guy.

Big greens allow the creative juices to really flow.  Small greens tend to make the first shot the most creative part of the process. 

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2024, 10:07:37 PM »
Agreed, as I stated…just wish CCF Had a hybrid tee so I could tell whomever I play with that I am playing the x tees, rather than announcing such on each hole and having to make such decision when never having played the course.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 08:54:48 AM »
Agreed, as I stated…just wish CCF Had a hybrid tee so I could tell whomever I play with that I am playing the x tees, rather than announcing such on each hole and having to make such decision when never having played the course.

I think the 6300 to 7000 is too big a difference. I've been playing a course in Florida that you play either 6434 or 7309. In Ghin they show a hybrid between the two but it's not on the card
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 10:04:43 AM »
Excellent video.  Playing Karoo course in 4 weeks and looking forward to it.  One problem tho is the yardage for a 73 year old, 18 handicapper, who hits the ball 200 with his best drive.  Prefer a course between 5800 and 6000 yards.

The Cabot website indicates yardages of approximately 4.2k, 5.3k, 6.3k, 7k and 7.6k.  Most would agree that five tees should be enough. But 7.6 K is clearly only an elite pro tee.  The 4.2k tee makes perfect sense. That leaves the other 3. There should be some way of having a tee between 5.7k and 6.1k or so.

When I play, it will be with my wife and likely a random twosome.  I have no problem with choosing a tee based on the hole. But that can be very annoying to the other two.

I fully understand that everyone cannot have the perfect distance on every hole. I also understand that too many tees is an eyesore, but the difference from 5300 to 6300 is just too much.

Cliff, I played Karoo earlier this month and had the same concerns that you raise. We were three 70 year olds whose best drives are just over 200 yards,  paired with one young really good player who hit his 300 yards. We usually play from tees just under 6,000 yards and asked the starter about playing a mix from the5300 yard and 6300 yard tees to get a 5800 set. He said they intend to [size=78%] add that to the card, but the course isn't yet rated for such a hybrid set of tees. We played only the 5300 tees and it eas definitely the right set for us. The course has more than enough interest and challenge that we were better off not adding 500 more yards. I think we had more fun off the tees and especially on our approach sots from the tees we played. The fourth player played from the back tees and we interacted well with him as we navigated the course. His playing from a different set of tees wasn't a problem at all. Enjoy your day there.[/size]

edited as the entire message didn't upload the first try
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 10:23:03 AM by Stewart Abramson »

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2024, 10:18:43 AM »
Thanks, Stewart.  It does not really matter to me that it is not rated yet.  it sounds like you would recommend playing the 5300 yard  tees rather than a hybrid set with the 6300 tees?

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2024, 10:26:27 AM »
Thanks, Stewart.  It does not really matter to me that it is not rated yet.  it sounds like you would recommend playing the 5300 yard  tees rather than a hybrid set with the 6300 tees?

I edited the post above as the entire message didn't upload initially. Yes, for me and my playing partners we were very happy with our decision to play from 5.300 yards. For seniors who can rarely exceed 200 yads from the tee, it was the right choice.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2024, 10:32:31 AM »
Thanks…sound a bit like my experience at Tobacco Road

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2024, 01:26:20 PM »
I played Karoo yesterday and really enjoyed it but understand that they are preview rounds and the condition is not at the point where they would want someone to fully evaluate the course. I am 77 years old and still hit the ball okay but certainly not long and I played the 6300 yard tees and I found most holes to be very manageable so far as distance as the course is firm and there is plenty of roll.  You can get around the centerline hazards and there are a number of holes with split fairways which avoid a big forced carry. The course rating from 6300 is 70.1 with a 128 slope while the next set up as a course rating of 66.6 and a slope of 116. 2 of the guys hit the ball a long way and overpowered it at 6300.  The greens and green complexes are really good and as the greens grow in and get a bit faster you will have some real challenges as they are very large and very contoured. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2024, 01:34:28 PM »
Wow, when I see the initials BCD, I automatically think of ...

;D Low-Hanging Fruit is too good to pass up ;D

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Peter Gannon

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2024, 10:39:31 PM »
Can't make it on the 23rd, but just played The Karoo, Squeeze, and Wedge Feb 12th. 

Karoo - Loved Franz'a work at Mid Pines, Southern Pines, No 2, and Pine Needles, so was eager for his big debut.  I found it rustic, visually stunning, very playable, a lot of fun, and a good amount of challenge.  I did play it in huge 20-25, maybe 30mph winds, so be great to go back.  Visually striking, but never felt over the top. 

The Squeeze - subtle challenges, and lots of movement.  Can't wait to see The Roost, and seems a great complement to Karoo.

The Wedge - never played such a thoughtful par 3 course.  (Been to Bandon, but last trip was 2012 and haven't played the short courses there).

I had arrived at CCF after 3 days at Streamsong.  I was struck how BIG Streamsong seems to CCF property, and how compact CCF seems.  Every step in every direction is golf.  Having just played The Chain, and then The Squeeze, really had tons of fun on these thoughtful short courses.  Short, but intellegent.  Definitely wish we had more options like that in the NYC area. 

I'm excited to go back when it's all complete, but it was really fun to play CCF while much was still under construction.  Congrats to all involved!

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2024, 02:02:11 PM »
Cliff,
I think we are missing the hybrid tees too and we will rectify it!

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2024, 04:42:50 PM »
Thanks, Ben…hope it’s soon 8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back