News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Trump International Golf Links
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:25:14 AM »
Is the first disappointment, not the lack of variety in the distances of the par 3's ?

jeffwarne

Re: Trump International Golf Links
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:58:16 AM »
Easily solved with 6 sets of tees on each hole ::) :D ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Steffey

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:26:41 AM »
even in 2D it reads like 4 different clubs (without knowing direction).

???

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »
To be fair, they may all play completely different due to the prevailing wind.  ::)

Ron Csigo

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »
There he (Trump) goes again with that "greatest golf course in the world" talk.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/trump-tees-off-golf-course-scotland-151244649--golf.html

How many GCA folks are including it in their itinerary while in Scotland this summer?  Seriously.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:24:29 PM by Ron Csigo »
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
I certainly am Ron... In fact it will likely be my only round in Scotland for the rest of 2012...

Brian - Those par-3's do appear on paper to be similar in length but I'd be surprised if they don't play different clubs... Holes 3 and 6 play opposite in direction (south & north)... Hole 13 plays east towards the sea and the south facing 16th plays slightly uphill
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:06:12 PM by Ally Mcintosh »

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »
just heard Monty on the radio refer to it as a billion dollar investment. Clearly he had read Donalds script.

Niall

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »
None other than Brad Klein played today and made a very positive tweet about his impressions of the course.
jeffmingay.com

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 02:29:05 PM »
Sure there are 6 tees, but I'd like to commend the fact that the "regulars" are only 6300 yards and the "medals" are only 6600.

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 02:32:58 PM »
When you have 6 sets of tees, what counts as the regular ? Do you chop and change them to suit the weather ? Hardly playing the "course". Cart paths can appear unsightly, especially in photographs. But does anyone find half a dozen different tee pads lined out in front of you a bit unsightly as well ? Not specifically a pop at Trumps course, more a comment on I guess on some modern courses.

Niall

Ron Csigo

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »
I agree Niall.  I don't understand the need for six tee boxes.  I feel four tee boxes are more than enough.

1.  Championship Tee

2. Low Handicap Tee

3.  Regular Tee

4.  Forward Tee
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »
I don't like having 6 sets of tees either, but if it allows golfers to not ego-boost themselves in to playing a set too far back, then there is something positive to come from it at least.

Alex Miller

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »
I don't like having 6 sets of tees either, but if it allows golfers to not ego-boost themselves in to playing a set too far back, then there is something positive to come from it at least.

I would have thought it does the exact opposite. What about feeling "shortchanged"?

I'm speaking under the presumption that Trump having 6 sets was a given. If you're going to have 6 sets, better to name the 4th from back "regular" than 2nd from back.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 04:06:38 PM »
None other than Brad Klein played today and made a very positive tweet about his impressions of the course.

High praise:

"Wow, just played Trump International Scotland. What could have been overwhelming is subtle, intriguing and compelling. An amazing place."

https://twitter.com/BKleinGolfweek/status/222745698276352000
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 04:29:54 PM »
I hope to play it next year.  Unless the wind is absent, 6329 sounds perfect to get some fun out of the course.

Do the 7428 tees really exist?  They are surely part of the hype.  Pat Ruddy told me Tigers course record at TEC would stand "for a very long time". When pressed he admitted no one else had ever played the course set up to 7300 yards and that includes the two Irish Opens that Padraig won.

Thank you Brad Klien for waiting to play the course before adopting a view. ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:32:42 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Alex Miller

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 04:42:47 PM »
I hope to play it next year.  Unless the wind is absent, 6329 sounds perfect to get some fun out of the course.

Do the 7428 tees really exist?  They are surely part of the hype.  Pat Ruddy told me Tigers course record at TEC would stand "for a very long time". When pressed he admitted no one else had ever played the course set up to 7300 yards and that includes the two Irish Opens that Padraig won.

Thank you Brad Klien for waiting to play the course before adopting a view. ;)

They might exist and they might not. The back tees at Trump L.A. do not all exist. Very questionable yardage on the scorecard and I'd wager around 200 yards is fluff despite them adding a couple of tees. Though since this has been his project since the start it may be different.

Michael Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 04:49:37 PM »
While certainly intriguing and I'm sure we'll hear more reviews over the coming months, my foursome is choosing to skip this (both the course and the general Aberdeen area) next spring on our 8 day tour of Scotland in favor of the Highlands, St. Andrews, and East Lothian areas.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »
Ron
If I were to be planning a trip to Scotland and I have played most of the usual suspects over the years, I would be inclined to pass on this course.

Although the green fee is not crazy at $190 CDN, it strikes me as a bit too much for what I like to pay. I played Muirfield and enjoyed the rounds but the price was beyond realistic and I wouldnt go back unless I was allowed to play the back tees. I could play Cruden Bay and Moray Old for the same cost as Trump's.

I liken Trump's course to Doonbeg, both are great courses and I know Doonbeg has a huge clubhouse(not sure if Trump has built his clubhouse yet but I imagine it will be all marble etc) but for me the dollar doesnt justify the course. When in Scotland or Ireland, all I need is some good locals in the pubs to enjoy some pints(which there is in pretty much every pub along the coast) and a links course that allows me to get back to the roots of golf. I dont need chandaliers, dont need big expensive tee markers, big huge clubhouses with all the bells and whistles.....need a proshop to pay my fees and a nice unassuming bar to enjoy a pint after the round, hopefully with members around to enjoy the experience.

Having said that, the course does look great and it will be a success.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 05:08:40 PM »
I agree Niall.  I don't understand the need for six tee boxes.  I feel four tee boxes are more than enough.

1.  Championship Tee

2. Low Handicap Tee

3.  Regular Tee

4.  Forward Tee

How about two being more than enough? That's 218 different course setups to play, isn't it?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »
While not a fan of the development or pricing of this course, folks should withhold judgement on the design until after they see it.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 05:37:49 PM »

High praise:

"Wow, just played Trump International Scotland. What could have been overwhelming is subtle, intriguing and compelling. An amazing place."

https://twitter.com/BKleinGolfweek/status/222745698276352000

The problem with all reviews of the course is that Mr. Trump seems so polarizing that most people have already made up their mind before they play.  I'd like to hear the opinion of a keen golfer who has never met Mr. Trump ... say, Golf's Most Beloved Figure.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »

1.  Championship Tee

2. Low Handicap Tee

3.  Regular Tee

4.  Forward Tee

I hate to defend Mr. Trump, but other than adding a Ladies' tee, this is probably what the course will look like on a day to day basis.  My guess is that the "back" tees will only be used for special events.

Kirk Moon

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 10:24:50 PM »
I don't care for the man in the least, but the photos of the course look pretty damned impressive.

Will be very interested to hear feedback from objective sources. 

It seems entirely possible that the buffoon has hired the right people to create something of real significance and lasting worth. 

I honestly hope he has.  Everyone will benefit. 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 04:30:37 AM »
I'm yet to see a picture of the course that doesn't look like someone poured several thousand tons of concrete into a dune valley, let it set and then painted the resulting perfectly flat surface bright green.  I will get there one day, probably next year when it has had a chance to grow in, but there is an unnatural look to the photographs of the course that I find distinctly unappealing.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 05:34:27 AM »
Playing the course tomorrow and Friday.  Have to admit to being quite excited at the prospect.  I'll get some pics.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back