News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: GCA Golf Bag
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »

Jason,

At the risk of sounding like a MacKenzie sales rep, I can easily say that they are easier and more comfortable to carry. Really, that's the main reason to carry one and the reason that's lost among people here that worry that it gets wet too quickly, and doesn't have a stand and two straps. For starters, the nylon bag is really light...just as light as any carry bag on the market (and I carry 14 clubs, ~6 balls, way too many tees/markers/ballmark tools/wool headcovers/phones/etc). Secondly, the strap that comes with the walker is awesome...there is maybe 3" of padding which is way easier on the shoulder than the paper thin backpack straps. The bag is also perfectly balanced, meaning it effectively "sits" on your hip when you're walking, taking more load off your shoulder all the while making it easy to carry it in different positions (right shoulder pointing forward, behind back, "quiver" style, etc).

Not to mention most double strap "systems" aren't really comfortable to begin with, force you to carry in one position, and are horrible if carried on one shoulder.

Pat,

At the risk of sounding like a 16 year old girl, I have been verrrry confused about my bag system this season. Loved my Ping Moon bag but as the season got hotter and the strap wore thin, it was really killing me on the last 3 holes at Yale.

Played on Tuesday in California with Jon "Long Ball" Spaulding (double strap), Pete Lavelle (single strap), my son (cart stand on a walker) and my new double strap ultra-light Callaway stand bag. I agree that the double straps only balance on the long walks for tee shots. Shorter shots to the green and for shots around the green, the double strap is off, at least for me.

I think the updated game plan will be to re-engage my single strap nylon Mackenzie bag except on hot days when I put it on a walking cart....

Bill Seitz

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 10:54:57 AM »
Is it even possible to still buy a set of double straps to attach to a bag?  That's basically how Izzo straps started out.  I remember fondly my old Ping L-8 stand bag with the single strap to which I attached Izzo straps while leaving the single strap intact.  Gave me the option of using either one. 

I have the Sun Mountain Sunday bag that was released last year, and I don't have a problem just using one strap on short walks.  I'd like to replace my four year old Ping Hoofer with another stand bag, but other than heavy rain, I can't really see a reason to not use the Sunday bag. 

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 12:33:55 PM »
For anyone who has a leather MacKenzie Walker - is the weight of the leather an issue?

I have both and the nylon is significant lighter - I would estimate the weight to be between 2.5-3.0lbs when empty.  As for the leather, I would guess the weight to be closer to 5lbs - this isn't scientific, but rather based on perception.  I personally don't have a huge issues carrying either, but I generally don't carry 14 clubs when I golf with my Mackenzie's.  I used the nylon bag for my HHH at Kingsley - I carried it for two rounds and then had a caddie for the remaining 6+ - it was a joy to carry and the caddies I had loved it...

As for the questions on water and the leather, I can't answer as I haven't had mine out in a downpour.  I would guess the leather could get much heavier when waterlogged, but perhaps someone else would know better than me.  I have gotten both bags very wet from morning dew - and I have never had an issue.

Bill, as for Izzo straps - they do in fact still make them, but I can't say for certain how they would attached to a Mackenzie...

http://www.izzo.com/products/ionetix-dual-strap

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 12:41:02 PM »
Thanks Chris - I really like the looks of the leather MacKenzies so I want to get one of those but I doubt that I would use it in the rain.  But then it becomes a bit of a pain in the ass to change bags depending on the weather, particularly since I usually keep my clubs stored at my golf club.

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 01:37:12 PM »
I have used a leather MacKenzie for almost 10 years.  Looks great still.  While expensive I haven't needed a bag in many years so long term cost is similar.

Mine has seen rain, snow and a host of other elements.  It is easily the best golf bag I have ever used.  A joy to carryover single strap.  Hold's everything I could need easily in the two pockets.

I highly recommend them.  I have the nylon one as well as its every bit as good just not quite as "cool" IMHO.

Dan

PS I also have a Iliac leather bag and while some features are improvements overall the Mackenzie is the best.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 11:03:07 PM »
As proof that a Mackenzie Walker is the GCA Golf Bag:

Stephen Davis

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 01:06:48 AM »

That is beautiful! I have been eyeing the Mackenzie bags for a while, just can't seem to get my self to pull the trigger.

David Davis

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 02:43:13 AM »
That bag does look great as does the GCA logo but I'd never even consider a leather golf bag even though it's a perfect match to my several pairs of black leather golf pants ???. Here in northern Europe I've come to the conclusion if you don't have something that can take the elements forget it. These bags with no stands are lightweight and great until it's wet. Here they fill up with water before you can blink your eyes if your not extremely careful plus your clubs seem to get banged around, and I prefer to take care of my stuff.

I've ripped apart several bags simply by playing too much over the last few years but now I have a couple Titleist Stay Dry bags (black bag with red zippers) a super lightweight totally waterproof bag. After 175 rounds all over the place and lots of travel I'm still on my first one with the second one waiting for it's chance. Only the first one is just like new.

Plus it's large enough to fill it with all kinds of stuff and then have all the benefits of a much larger, far heavier bag ha ha...
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Howard Riefs

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 10:12:37 AM »
That bag does look great as does the GCA logo but I'd never even consider a leather golf bag even though it's a perfect match to my several pairs of black leather golf pants ???. Here in northern Europe I've come to the conclusion if you don't have something that can take the elements forget it. These bags with no stands are lightweight and great until it's wet. Here they fill up with water before you can blink your eyes if your not extremely careful plus your clubs seem to get banged around, and I prefer to take care of my stuff.

MacKenzie also sells a bag of similar shape/size but made with a 'balistic' material instead of leather:

http://www.themackenziegolfbagcompany.com/the-bags/the-mackenzie-ballistic-walker/

I've ripped apart several bags simply by playing too much over the last few years but now I have a couple Titleist Stay Dry bags (black bag with red zippers) a super lightweight totally waterproof bag. After 175 rounds all over the place and lots of travel I'm still on my first one with the second one waiting for it's chance. Only the first one is just like new.

I also have a Titleist Stay Dry bag. Very good. Only issue is that I had to replace the legs after ~75 rounds.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 09:51:17 PM »

Who owns that GCA MacKenzie?  I might be interested in a group order of that.

Dan

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 10:29:42 PM »
I don't know - I am ordering a Mackenzie bag and this was in the photo gallery that they sent me to use for ideas.  You can't quite make out the monogram by the handle.

PCCraig

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 09:56:58 AM »
Who owns that GCA MacKenzie? 

Dan

I believe that would be our fearless leader's bag.
H.P.S.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 10:20:35 AM »

Who owns that GCA MacKenzie?  I might be interested in a group order of that.

Dan

Pat has it right, the initials are REM, so unless it's the bag of a rocker or sleep doctor.............   
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

David Stewart

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 10:26:25 AM »
I'm not knocking the MacKenzie Walker. They are very cool and I will probably own one in the future.

However, I feel the article by Mr. Rigg is a bit over the top in his criticism of stand bags with a few extra pockets. Here are my issues with some of his points:

1) There are too many pockets - I just got a new Titleist lightweight double strap bag and it is over the pocket limit according to the article. It has 5. I have one for balls, one for tees/divot tool, one for sunscreen/bug spray, one soft-lined one for phone/keys, and then a larger one that only holds the rain cover and can hold a jacket if I need one. What's so wrong with that?

3) While often "light" in absolute weight, most modern cary bags encourage golfers to pack "heay" - He talks about when you start adding things to your bag that it gets heavy. Some of the things he mentions are clubs, balls, and tees. I'm pretty sure these are all needed to play the game. I don't carry all the other junk he mentions, but clubs and balls are going to take up most of the weight anyway.

4) There are way too many unnecessary clips, loops, rings and slots on most modern golf bags - I am fine with all of these except the towel one. What is wrong with a loop for your towel so you don't have to lay it across your clubs and don't have a chance to lose it?

2) Almost every modern golf bag has “legs” or a “stand but I am not convince that they are necessary or beneficial – Necessary, no. Beneficial, hell yes. The bag doesn’t have to sit on the ground when it is wet, it is easy to remove and replace clubs, and you don’t have to bend down to pick up your bag which is beneficial to those with bad backs. Who cares if you can’t carry it the way you want. Most of us find them just fine. The body of my golf bag has padding for my back. It is super comfortable. Setting my bag down happens in one fluid motion. It is easy and fast. If I want to lay it on the ground, I can grab the handle on the body and do it.

3) Finally, almost every modern golf bag has a double strap, which is preferred by many but something I have never liked – Well just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it isn’t good. You can adjust the straps so the back hits right at the natural shelf, which is where mine is. He talks about having to lean forward because of the weight of the bag. I feel I walk very upright, and I have no problem using one strap when I want. Wouldn’t you lean sideways when carrying on your shoulder? Why do you think hikers use two straps?

I wholeheartedly agree with keeping the bag light and leaving unnecessary items at home or in the car. As someone who walks all the time this is a must. While my five pocket, double strap stand bag still holds little weight, most of his arguments do not.

**Again, before people get in a big fit, MacKenzie bags are very cool and I want to own one. Double strap stand bags aren’t the devil though.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »
If you want a nice, lightweight (2lbs.) bag w/a vg dual strap system, a few pockets, and room for all 14 of your clubs (if you so choose) you cannot do better (at $70.00) than a Sun Mtn. Sunday X.

http://www.sunmountain.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=87&virtuemart_category_id=9&Itemid=18
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:07:06 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »
I am thinking that a Mackenzie Sunday bag in a traditional leather colour will be the perfect bag for the set of hickories that I am in the process of acquiring.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 03:22:06 PM »
That Mackenzie bag is awesome. That is all.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2013, 09:40:16 PM »
Just curious as there are many True fans here is anyone has tried their bag:

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2013, 01:57:07 AM »
I was interested to see that MacKenzie make something that they call a 'Shag Bag'.

http://www.themackenziegolfbagcompany.com/the-bags/the-mackenzie-shag-bag/

Here in Manchester, the term 'shag bag' is more normally used to desribe a young (or not so young) lady of rather lax moral standards.

Two nations divided by a common language...

;)

Greg Chambers

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2013, 02:00:16 AM »
the True bag looks just like a Sun Mountain bag
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Rob Rigg

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2013, 03:24:08 AM »
David - You missed the point of the article I wrote in 2009, but thanks for commenting so I could go back and edit some of the language to make it more obvious what I was getting at. My time in the desert has also shown me one clear benefit of having a stand - it keeps cactus needles off your towel. I never had an issue with putting my bag down on the wet ground in Oregon but to each his own. The article wasn't intended to be about 4 pockets versus 5 - which is why I was complaining about "carry bags" that had "ten pockets", or whether you had golf clubs and golf balls in it (???), or whether you liked a stand or double straps. My issue with modern golf bags is that they often have way too many dividers, gadgets, pockets, etc. which encourage the golfer to put a ton of crap in them which increases the weight, makes them harder to carry and might be encouraging more golfers to take carts instead of walking.

I proposed the construction and design elements of the MacKenzie Walker as an excellent alternative because of its simplicity and because it encourages the golfer to carry as little as possible making the bag lighter, the walk easier and more enjoyable.

I love carrying my MacKenzie Walker, but I also understand that the majority of the population enjoys carrying a double strap stand bag which is why I designed the TRUE carry bag the way I did.

It's as minimal as possible IMO. It has a plastic handle at the top to make it easy to slide the bag off and pick it up (which I think is the most important element of a carry bag because that motion is what can cause injuries). It has double straps because it's hard to carry a single strap stand bag and use the "shelf" above your butt for support. It has four pockets - one for balls, one for tees/markers, one for other stuff (wallet, iPhone, food) and one larger long pocket for a jacket, sunscreen, spare gloves, etc. I also added a water bottle holder because it frustrates me to have to open/close a pocket to get at something I use on almost every hole. There is a clip for bag tags or whatever and umbrella holder (or towel loop) on the side. It also has 4 dividers - top section (woods), mid section (irons), bottom section (wedges).

The bag weighs about 4 lbs and will probably be "too minimalist" for some golfers, but the feedback from avid walkers has been really positive thus far. Sun Mountain make great light weight carry bags, they make good ones for Titleist too and Ping have some sweet light weight carry bags as well. Almost any carry bag can work for a walking golfer, if you keep the weight down - or just use a push cart if you can't.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2013, 10:44:52 AM »
Carry bags without stand are all well and good but put the bag up and down in on a wet day means sooner or later the bag and you will be wet - not something that would happen with a stand.

Also with carry bags you aren't bending down all of the while to pick them up - easier on the back.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »
They could ask Bandon Dunes, et al, to ship their used rakes to the MacBag factory and use the poles as stands and the teeth as joiners. That would be reduce/reuse/recycle in a fine way.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back