News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Re: BALLYBUNION CASHEN, OLD & LAHINCH:Irish Eyes Are Smiling
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 09:39:44 PM »
Neil,

Thanks for the old picture of the 10th green. Hope all is well for you.

Michael,

About five years ago some oil industry friends invited me to play at RTJ outside of Washington, DC. Not really a great course, but it was special to see one of Kevin's paintings right outside the pro shop, a gift Mr. Jones gave to the club.

Tim Weiman

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »
Sean,

Thanks for a very enjoyable and informative thread.

If you were to make a once only trip would you play RCD, Portrush, Ballybunion and Lahinch all times 2, or spread your time out and play other courses?

Ash

I couldn't say, but I suspect as only one of those listed is among my top favourites that I would like to play others I really like and discover some new courses. 

Michael

Hitting to all the visible spots on the Cashen sounds about as boring as hangin' on the range. Much of the adventure of the design is essentially skipped.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ash Towe

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 10:20:45 PM »
Sean,

Thanks for your reply.

I  have always enjoyed your comments on courses.  What would be your must plays in Ireland/Northern Ireland?

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 07:47:48 PM »
Sean,

Thanks for your reply.

I  have always enjoyed your comments on courses.  What would be your must plays in Ireland/Northern Ireland?

Ash

Thanks.

My must plays are Lahinch and Enniscrone - trailing behind as not quite a muster is The Island, but I haven't seen some of the new changes. Portrush Valley and Strandhill too are not far off musters.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ash Towe

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 11:55:33 PM »
Sean,

Thanks for the info.

Always enjoy your threads and comments.

Good luck with your future trips.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 01:38:04 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for your reply.

Ash

Thanks.

My must plays are Lahinch and Enniscrone - trailing behind as not quite a muster is The Island, but I haven't seen some of the new changes. Portrush Valley and Strandhill too are not far off musters.

Ciao

Sean  I’m assuming Ash is proposing a first/one time trip.  If a guy's taking the silver bird across the Ocean, paying for a car and accommodation then his selection of must plays would surely have more of a balance towards Quality and historical importance than value for money. You may be correct with your list but only for someone who had played them all before?

IMO in Ireland there remain 5 must plays. 

RCD
Portrush Dunluce
Lahinch
Ballybunion
Portmarnock.

If wishing to save travel time or see a more modern links one might easily swap one of the above for one of your choices and still have an excellent time.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2012, 07:18:47 PM »
Sean,

Thanks for your reply.

Ash

Thanks.

Ciao

Sean  I’m assuming Ash is proposing a first/one time trip.  If a guy's taking the silver bird across the Ocean, paying for a car and accommodation then his selection of must plays would surely have more of a balance towards Quality and historical importance than value for money. You may be correct with your list but only for someone who had played them all before?

IMO in Ireland there remain 5 must plays. 

RCD
Portrush Dunluce
Lahinch
Ballybunion
Portmarnock.

If wishing to save travel time or see a more modern links one might easily swap one of the above for one of your choices and still have an excellent time.

Spangles

Even with giving a nod to the so called big five, I think Enniscrone should stand right with them as a big six.  If you insist on only five, I would have no hesitation in dropping Portmarnock for Enniscrone. 

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back