News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris DeNigris

Re: Melvyn Hunter Morrow
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2012, 08:57:39 PM »
That's why I watch a lot of UK TV instead of most lame network stuff...

I really miss Gavin and Stacy  ;D

Sam Morrow

« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2012, 09:02:58 PM »
Why are we going on for 6 pages about someone who wanted to leave the site?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2012, 01:33:34 AM »
Even if MM wasn't a prickly old codger.....

....his message was a broken record at best.  At what point did he feel like people would change thier minds on his blatantly ignorant and ill-thought out positions?  After 100 rants?  200 rants?  300?  1000?

Enough was enough already.

You don't get it do you?

The point was not necessarily to change the minds of people on the website. The point was to get the message out in public for those that hadn't made up their mind. The reason he was repetitive, was because it gave more exposure to the message. He actually wrote from time to time that was his purpose.

And Mr. "hockey players are the greatest athletes", you haven't lost your position of king of blatantly ignorant and ill-thought out positions yet.

MHM's vortex of nonsense has claimed another victim. Thankfully, the toll is still in the single digits.

Who's the victims? Those riding carts and dieing an early death from their posteriors firmly planted in car seats, cart seats, ... seats?
Or those actually going out an receiving the benefits of a brisk walk.

Who's the victims? Those that have to count on their fingers, and having to give up in the single digits, or those who can actually count the numerous supporters of Melvyn, including the one that has provided this website for you to post your brain dumps.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

James Boon

« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2012, 03:40:05 AM »
I often used to chuckle to myself at Melvyn's posts when he turned to one of his favourite topics out of nowhere. Some of his posts and those of his opponents certainly came across as good humoured and tongue in cheek, however others didn't from both sides, and when it turned to this I just stopped reading.

I was always frustrated with Melvyn, and I'm certain I told him so, that he did have something really positive to contribute but I felt that for his way of putting himself across to really work, perhaps meeting up with some of us in person would be a good thing? I almost had him turning up to meet with a few of us once, but then he changed his mind, which was a real shame!

Does anyone else think it ironic that Melvyn spent all his time ranting at technological advances and yet refused to meet up with a group of like minded chaps for a good old fashioned chin wag down the pub? Instead turning to this new fangled interweb thingy to have all his discussions on the topic or otherwise of golf course architecture...  ;D  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Kalen Braley

« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »

Does anyone else think it ironic that Melvyn spent all his time ranting at technological advances and yet refused to meet up with a group of like minded chaps for a good old fashioned chin wag down the pub? Instead turning to this new fangled interweb thingy to have all his discussions on the topic or otherwise of golf course architecture...  ;D  ::)

James +1000. 

This hasn't occurred to me before but right you are. His arbitrary sense of "right and wrong" in the modern world was laughable at best.

And to put things in Garland logic:

Wouldn't Melvyn had incurred much improved health benefits by going for a brisk walk down to the pub, as opposed to sitting on his back-side to communicate otherwise?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2012, 12:04:11 PM »

James +1000. 

This hasn't occurred to me before but right you are. His arbitrary sense of "right and wrong" in the modern world was laughable at best.

Wouldn't Melvyn had incurred much improved health benefits by going for a brisk walk down to the pub, as opposed to sitting on his back-side to communicate otherwise?

The pubs were closed when he did most of his gutter work.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Garland Bayley

« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2012, 12:15:42 PM »
Kalen,

The question is, are you making brisk walks to the pub? Brisk walks anywhere?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »
MHM is alive and well on Facebook, irony of ironies. He has embraced the social media as fully as he embraced this one.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2012, 06:26:40 PM »
MHM is alive and well on Facebook, irony of ironies. He has embraced the social media as fully as he embraced this one.

I'm sure his ancestors would be ashamed of him using a PC and internet to communicate with others instead of the good old fashioned pen on paper and message sent off in the post via a letter.

I mean why in the world would he want communication to be easier...just like a golfer should nay use carts, distance aids, and other new fangled equipment to make golf easier.

James Boon

« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »

James +1000. 

Kalen,

My quote above was significantly tongue in cheek!  8)

Melvyn doesn't hate technology full stop, he just wants its use in the golfing world curbed in an attempt to return to golfs simpler values from its earlier days.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »
Kalen,

The question is, are you making brisk walks to the pub? Brisk walks anywhere?

More pontificating from a guy who walks a 5800 yd. course in Seattle frigging Washington.  What a sanctimonius turd in the birdbath you are, Garland.  It really, really gets old.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Garland Bayley

« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2012, 06:49:03 PM »

I'm sure his ancestors would be ashamed of him using a PC and internet to communicate with others instead of the good old fashioned pen on paper and message sent off in the post via a letter.

I mean why in the world would he want communication to be easier...just like a golfer should nay use carts, distance aids, and other new fangled equipment to make golf easier.

Kalen,

Get out of your cart and walk. Sitting is the new tobacco.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2012, 06:54:59 PM »
James,

It was a very funny statement, so I tried to validate it for you!!  ;)

On a more serious note though, it really just shows the absurdity of trying to set absolute rules for something as non-critical/non-important in the balance of world issues such as golf.

Now sure if this were a website/forum that focused around "Proper Care and Maintenance of Nuclear Power Facilities"...perhaps someone like Melvyn would be correct and acting appropriate in his rigid stances/viewpoints.

At the end of the day, golf is just a bunch of kids, (old and young alike), getting outdoors and knocking the ball around the park....

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2012, 12:44:18 AM »
Such lovely memories of Melvyn!!!

I'm sure that we all will garner equally magnanimous praises upon our own lamentable departures.

So sad, for all.

Malcolm

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:45:50 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2012, 01:38:16 AM »
Such lovely memories of Melvyn!!!

I'm sure that we all will garner equally magnanimous praises upon our own lamentable departures.

So sad, for all.

Malcolm

Malcolm,

Sorry, in these parts one is not allowed to border on the edge of sappiness and satire with such dexterity.  We'll need you to pick a side.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2012, 02:42:52 AM »
“Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet”
(Rudyard Kipling)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back