News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Melvyn Hunter Morrow
« on: June 26, 2012, 01:57:12 AM »
I just noticed that Melvyn has gone from blue to black and become a 'guest'.

I for one will miss him if he really has gone. I have received many kind PMs from him helping me with my historical researches. I know he got up noses but to my mind a great sense of humour was never far from the surface.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:00:27 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Michael Dugger

Re: Melvyn Hunter Morrow
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 02:08:10 AM »
You had to start a new thread about this?

Couldn't comment on one of the others, you had to star a new one, eh?

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:57:43 AM »

Was a response like this really called for, or were you just in a foul mood?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 05:13:16 AM »
It's unfortunate that Melvyn was always so unwilling to participate in a civil manner and either forced Ran to remove him or was left to walk away. Somehow I doubt it was the latter, but I might be wrong.

Maybe with some welcome spare time on his hands without GCA.com to occupy him, Melvyn might finally visit Askernish! ;D

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 05:25:49 AM »
Melvyn had a particular knack of bringing out the worst in people.  I have met several of his frequent foes and have liked each of them.  I consider one a good friend.  However, in debate with Melvyn, almost every poster here sank below their normal standards and frequently far below.  No good ever came from one of his threads.  A shame, because he had a lot of knowledge and an impresive archive of materials.  He could also be extremely helpful and even generous.  All that, however, was negated by his absurd fanaticism and his inability to use the English language and to debate without taking it personally and being personally offensive.  On balance and very sadly I think this board will be better without him.

I have often wondered why someone who claimed to love golf so much would stop playing because he was unable to walk.  I can't help but suspect that this was a man who was so bitter about the deal fate dealt him that, in some puritanical, possibly presbyterian reaction to his physical handicap he chose to punish himself more by depriving himself of the opportunity to still play the game he, apparently, loved.  I guess we'll never know.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:49:46 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:23:21 AM »
An unfortunate turn of events.  Melvyn's contributions have positively changed how I think about golf and golf's grounds. I hold out the possibility that he will positively impact my views again, either in person, by re-engaging in this community, or through his legacy of contributions.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 07:27:20 AM »
Melvyn will be missed greatly.  That he is an outlier speaks volumes about the "progression" of golf. 
@Pure_Golf

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 07:39:45 AM »
Michael,

Melvyn's attitudes towards golf as a walking game and to the effects of technological advancement are not different to those of many others on this website. Melvyn liked to think he was an outlier, but if he'd cared to calm down and read others' contributions, he might have discovered that his views are actually fairly typical of those who use this site.

Unfortunately, the methods he used to communicate his views (often by threadjacking unrelated topics and by being abusive and profane) are the very reason why this site is better off without him.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:46:57 AM »
Always had a flair for the dramatic. This time, an Internet stage left.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:55:15 AM »
Although Melvyn responded to new member introduction threads with the usual questions (Do you walk/use distance aids/cartgolf?) and "Melvyn's manifesto", he also started a great many threads himself. The threads he did initiate, usually degenerated into the usual insults and name calling. Those insults weren't one-way traffic. I could never understand why those that were really irritated by him, were the first to launch insults. If someone annoyed me to that extent, I'd just ignore his posts. What is gained by taunting him or ridiculing him? Melvyn's threads would have rocketed to the second page of the DG if those that were so irritated by his posts, showed a bit of restraint and bit their tongues, so to speak.

I am not defending Melvyn or anyone else that has resorted to bad language, insults, personal attacks, etc. Although I am not aware
of the background to his comment "how's your wife" comment to Pat, on reading it, I felt that a line had been crossed. Melvyn should
not be proud of some of the comments he has made on this DG, and neither should others. All those that got involved in these nasty
cat fights should think a little about your behaviour, and ask yourself, was it worth it?

Melvyn has been very helpful to me, providing me with very valuable archive material. I also have thought more about his position on distance aids. I now try to avoid searching for yardages on sprinkler heads and have concluded that I will not buy a distance measuring device.

When Ran was kind enough to allow me to join this DG, I vowed to myself that I would never get into any sort of tussle with another
member. I always think that I might someday meet that person, and I would hate to experience an uncomfortable personal encounter with someone I insulted or argued with over the internet. I view the contents of my posts no differently than if I were speaking to
someone face to face.

Maybe as I get older, the thought of getting into a heated discussion via the internet, with someone I've never met (and know nothing about) seems more and more absurd. I have more important things to do, and Melyvn, Terry, Pat, Michael, Scott, etc. must have other more pressing things on their minds too.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 08:27:31 AM »
I'm not sure why people have such a problem with the "Melvyn issue". This is a internet forum not a town hall meeting. If you don't want to "hear" Melvyn simply don't read his threads or replies. That works really well. We don't need an ignore button, use the one between your ears.

I rarely agree with Melvyn but I respect the fact that he's principled and passionate even though a bit misguided for the rank and file.

It's not a little disturbing that some folks on this and other forums actively orchestrate the removal of some members who they don't agree with or are bothered by. And that many then consider it good riddance.

If he's truly gone (and I think it was probably voluntary) I'll miss him. Maybe only because of the wackiness of his views.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:32:51 AM »

Excuse me?

12 hours before I started this thread Melvyn was still posting. I spent most of those hours asleep - it's what we English tend to do at night.

I've just had a quick look and can find no mention of Melvyn leaving on any other thread. Melvyn has oft been accused of rudeness and arrogance.  He would appear to have these traits in common with your good self.

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 08:50:33 AM »
Could it be the pictures of the GCAer in carts at The Cashen were the final straw ;) ;D ::) :o :( :( :( :( :(
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »
Nothing ever good comes from someone leaving the site with the possible exception of when they find friends speaking out on their behalf.  When you are here it seems your enemies always speak the loudest.  I liked Melvyn even though I never read his posts.  I just don't have the patience to read past an inch or two on a really wide screen.

As a sign of brotherhood to my fallen poster I hereby suspend my boycott of all things Scottish.  The Lockerbie terrorist is dead, a friend is out of my life and Scotch tastes damn good.  I will be toasting Melvyn at the 5th Major and look forward to many thoughts of him in the future.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 10:53:32 AM »
As a sign of brotherhood to my fallen poster I hereby suspend my boycott of all things Scottish.  The Lockerbie terrorist is dead, a friend is out of my life and Scotch tastes damn good.  I will be toasting Melvyn at the 5th Major and look forward to many thoughts of him in the future.

Glad to hear it John!!  I don't drink very often at all, but I will join you in your toast at the 5th Major.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »

Glad to hear it John!!  I don't drink very often at all, but I will join you in your toast at the 5th Major.

We will walk to the bar.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 10:54:57 AM »
 :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 10:59:44 AM »
John you gave up scotch and it wasn't even Lent?? Craziness.

I had some good personal discussions with poor misguided Melvyn. As others do I even named my rangefinder Melvyn. My problem was it was his way or the highway. Almost everyone on this site is passionate but will, ocassionally, consider other points of view. Melvyn did not change his tone, while I admire ones steadfastness in beliefs giving up the game because you cannot walk 18 is wrong. As we all age some considerations must be given to bad kness, hips eyes and other parts.

Give the game up because I need to take a cart? Hell the game is still cheaper than psychotherapy!
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

JLahrman

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
I used to work with a guy who was incredibly smart and talented, but so condescending and inflexible that nobody would work with him. Our company executes team-based collaborative work. He was the smartest guy we had, but he didn't last long. And he brought in actual revenues, not just a point of view.

There is a place in the world for people who hold fast to their beliefs and push people's buttons. To a certain extent. When you take Mr. Morrow's approach...even when you're right, you're still wrong.

I have no problem with someone who wants to piss into the breeze. The problem arises when he wants to complain that he's the only one getting wet.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »
It's unfortunate that Melvyn was always so unwilling to participate in a civil manner and either forced Ran to remove him or was left to walk away. Somehow I doubt it was the latter, but I might be wrong.

Maybe with some welcome spare time on his hands without GCA.com to occupy him, Melvyn might finally visit Askernish! ;D

Look in the mirror DUDE!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 12:07:48 PM »
I didn't think Melyvn had to quit, or force Ran's hand to boot him...whichever way it happened.

But the more I think about this, the more I'm reminded of my buddy's quote:

You can't use reason to talk someone out of a position that they didn't use reason to arrive at.

I like to think most of us tried to be reasonable with the guy, again and again and again....I sure as hell know I did.  But in the end, there was really nothing reasonable to argue with him about.  He always had his finger on the transmit button on his 2 way radio and never bothered to move his finger off the trigger.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 12:19:35 PM »
I didn't think Melyvn had to quit, or force Ran's hand to boot him...whichever way it happened.

But the more I think about this, the more I'm reminded of my buddy's quote:

You can't use reason to talk someone out of a position that they didn't use reason to arrive at.

I like to think most of us tried to be reasonable with the guy, again and again and again....I sure as hell know I did.  But in the end, there was really nothing reasonable to argue with him about.  He always had his finger on the transmit button on his 2 way radio and never bothered to move his finger off the trigger.

Kalen,

Your quote is not apropos. Furthermore, you must not read or write very well when communicating with Melvyn. When given the chance, he explained his positions on carts, technology, etc., and they were not as unforgiving as everyone made them out to be. It is just that many were not willing to "listen" to his full explanations, as they didn't understand his tone. On rare occasions he wrote that he was interacting in a friendly jibing manner just as he would if you were standing across from him in the pub. When looked at in that light, some of his comments were some of the funniest I have read on this website.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

C. Squier

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
Even Melvyn's "friends" on the board tiptoe around the guy.  It's one thing to think he's a prick, but it's another thing to actually like the guy, yet shy away from his fray for fear of getting caught up in another of his attacks on another.  Metaphorically speaking, he's the guy that's OK/fun to hang out with, but when he starts drinking you look for cover b/c you know it never ends well. 

This is yet another instance of his well documented pattern of kicking up dust, playing coy when others see through his opaque "premises" and finally enters the victim stage.  Folks, this is the victim stage.  You can set your clock by his routine.

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »
Garland Bayley:

Communicating with people via this modern technology of the Internet is definitely not the same thing as standing across from them in a pub. People using the Internet should at least try to understand why that is because it is a pretty fundamental difference from being there in person and it will continue to be. Maybe this Internet video camera technology will help someday but it is not there yet with this kind of website.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
Garland,

Surely you jest.  Literally speaking he must have explained his "positions" at least 300-400 times on this site...no exaggeration. We all got his positions loud and clear.

It was inability to "get" others positions and his ensuing inability to avoid restating for the hundreth time his own position that most here grew tired of. The sad part is, he really did have other interesting snippets and facts he brought to the table from time to time, and I enjoyed reviewing them.

But in the end, his need to lambast all his favorite pet peeves became beyond intolerable.  And if it was all a big joke....then maybe it would be funny the first or even the 2nd time, but certainly not in the hundreds of iterations.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back