News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Non-Smoking Courses
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:14:43 PM »
Are there courses or clubs that don't allow smoking during a round?

If so, where/who?

WW

Jamey Bryan

Re: Non-Smoking Courses
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:20:30 PM »
Wade:

I'm told (reliably) that Pine Valley doesn't allow smoking.  I know Yeaman's Hall does not (I cheated, but put my butt in my pocket like I always do.  It seems like I've played somewhere else recently that had a no smoking policy, but where it was doesn't come to mind.

Jamey

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 09:29:51 PM »
Some courses in the southwest prohibit smoking, especially when its really dry (or more dry than normal). I don't smoke, so I've not really paid much attention to which ones they are, specifically.

A lot of the ones that prohibit smoking that I've seen though don't seem to be too strict, as long as the smoker is careful to dispose the thing safely.

Brian Hilko

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:09:47 PM »
Kingsley doesnt allow smoking.
Down with the brown

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:41:43 PM »
I really hate playing behind a chain smoker who drops his butts on the greens, in bunkers, etc.   We have a couple at our club. 

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 02:31:32 AM »
San Juan Oaks in Hollister, Calif doesn't allow smoking.  I'm guessing it is due to the fire hazard that is could present, as there are a lot of dry areas surrounding the course that would burn in a heartbeat.  My course in San Jose has a similar issue, but we do allow smoking.  Not too many cigarette butts are found on the course, more cigar butts than anything.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 03:50:24 AM »
For a short time, my club banned smoking. It was a policy that was very difficult to police and we didn't really have a litter problem. Now, we only ban smoking on a "total fire ban day" - quite regular in the Australian summer.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 07:53:59 AM »
Many Australian clubs ban smoking for the warmer months of the year, whether total fire ban is declared or not. The National is one such club.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »
I saw a bunch of people at Torrey Pines get scolded...I don't know of any policy, though.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »
A nearby club, Dove Canyon C.C., is non-smoking due to large amount of dry plants in the California hills.
I once saw a golfer start a fire there by striking a stone with a titanium club. A man whose home was on the course
brought a hose out,hooked it up, and put the fire out.

Ash Towe

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 02:58:06 PM »
I am pretty sure Cape Kidnappers is non smoking.

Chris Roselle

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 07:23:34 PM »
Wade:

I'm told (reliably) that Pine Valley doesn't allow smoking.  I know Yeaman's Hall does not (I cheated, but put my butt in my pocket like I always do.  It seems like I've played somewhere else recently that had a no smoking policy, but where it was doesn't come to mind.

Jamey

At Pine Valley you can only smoke in the small parking lot in front of the clubhouse and on the back patio of the clubhouse...

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 08:12:02 PM »
It sounds like a number of courses ban smoking, either temporarily or otherwise, for environmental (i.e. fire) reasons.

Which ones don't permit smoking for other reasons?  Pine Valley, Kingsley, and?

WW

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 10:51:51 AM »
The City of San Diego banned smoking at parks and beaches about five years ago. By logical extension smoking was banned at Balboa Park and both courses at Torrey Pines the next year. It really doesn't stop anybody from smoking though; never seen the $1000 fine imposed either.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 11:43:44 AM »
Wade,

I believe Kingsley's prohibition is for fire prevention as well.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 10:39:25 PM »
Friend of mine told me that he and caddie would sneak in woods at Pine Valley to smoke!

Andy Stamm

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »
The City of San Diego banned smoking at parks and beaches about five years ago. By logical extension smoking was banned at Balboa Park and both courses at Torrey Pines the next year. It really doesn't stop anybody from smoking though; never seen the $1000 fine imposed either.

Smoking is also banned at parks in San Francisco including the golf courses. There were some Chronicle articles about how that would effect players (Jimenez) and others (Michael Jordan) at the various Harding Park events. If you're interested about the city of SF's smoking policies, they'd be worth a read. But, there was no enforcement and the players, etc. did smoke. There is also no enforcement during regular pay, but smoking is, as written at least, "not allowed."
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:17:54 AM by Andy Stamm »

Dieter Jones

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 10:52:44 PM »
Due to recent State Goverment Legislation changes, it is illegal to smoke within 20m of any sporting venue in Tasmania. This includes golf courses so technically Barnbougle and Lost farm are now non smoking venues.
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 01:28:37 PM »
When the 2008 US Open approached we all wondered whether defending Champ Angel Cabrera would be able to spark one up. The USGA was able to get a waiver for the US Open and competitors were able to smoke freely; go figure!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 04:21:45 PM »
Nice trend.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back