News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Herb Kohler talks Bandon, Old Course, USGA and Doak
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:35:15 PM »
A good Q&A between Matt Ginella and Herb Kohler. Some highlights...

Oregon:  Kohler killed a potential project 20 miles south of Bandon because of strong environmental opposition. "They didn't want any development of any kind. It was hard to believe."

If Dye passes on a project:. "That fella who built Pacific Dunes Is one of his protégées and an awful good designer, and I have very high regard for Tom Doak. But as do a number of others also. That chap who's going to design the Brazilian course for the Olympics, Gil Hanse, worked for Tom Doak, so Mr. Dye has a long tail."

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/blogs/wheres-matty-g/2012/06/qa-herb-kohler-on-trying-to-bu.html

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:09:05 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tim Bert

Re: Herb Kohler talks Bandon, Old Course, USGA and Doak
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 12:22:25 AM »
I thought his comment about the land being different than Bandon Dunes because it was 60-70 feet above the coast was an odd one. He said that Bandon Dunes was much closer or something to that effect, which I took to mean he was implying the cliffs were lower. I would have estimated the Bandon Dunes cliffs to be 50-100 feet above the beach.  Am I that far off?  Maybe I missed the point he was trying to make.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 11:17:03 AM »
I thought the comment about Pete Dye and his tees was even odder.
I don't think angled or forward tees take the bite out of his greenside bunkers, steep banks, carry hazards...
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
If Dye passes on a project:. "

Pete Dye, even at his age would not turn down a chance to do anything.  I'll just leave it at that.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back