News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

The best 19th hole ?
« on: June 02, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
and I'm not referring to the best clubhouse bar. I was reading an article from the days when matchplay golf was still the form of the game that was reckoned to sort out the men from the boys. The writer opined that Prestwick had one of the best 19th holes should a match go the extra distance. No explanation given but I reckon with the nerves jangling and the do or die nature of the tee shot with the OB beckoning on the right it has to be a contender. Perhaps the famed first at Machrihanish could make a similar claim but at least there's opportunity of playing off the beach provided the tide is out.

Given a lot of courses have a relatively easy opening, is it possible to design an opening hole that gives players a relatively easy start but which tests the nerves in a do or die matchplay situation ?

Niall   

Dan Kelly

Re: The best 19th hole ?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 01:31:06 PM »
and I'm not referring to the best clubhouse bar. I was reading an article from the days when matchplay golf was still the form of the game that was reckoned to sort out the men from the boys. The writer opined that Prestwick had one of the best 19th holes should a match go the extra distance. No explanation given but I reckon with the nerves jangling and the do or die nature of the tee shot with the OB beckoning on the right it has to be a contender. Perhaps the famed first at Machrihanish could make a similar claim but at least there's opportunity of playing off the beach provided the tide is out.

Given a lot of courses have a relatively easy opening, is it possible to design an opening hole that gives players a relatively easy start but which tests the nerves in a do or die matchplay situation ?

Niall   

I wouldn't want to play Minikahda No. 1 with my nerves jangling.

Easy hole (short, straight par-4), but easy to mess it up, too (short into front bunkers, long OB).
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 01:58:36 PM »
They always say that the first hole at Royal Liverpool is fiendish as a 19th hole, but it is equally fiendish as a first hole. Something to be taken into account is whether the play is off scratch or off handicap. If you are a good player giving a stroke to an opponent a straightforward par 4 may be your undoing. Make the match foursomes and other qualities come into account. A longish par 3 first hole may be a nervy decider - 1st at Royal Mid-Surrey, for instance.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 02:05:57 PM »

Berkshire Blue?
NBWL?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill Crane

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 04:33:12 PM »
Kinloch has fun 19th hole, over the lake with green benched below the clubhouse.

My suspicions are the course was designed to be the AGNC of Va.  Hilly piece of land.  Great practice facility,  houses to stay in are fun and can accomodate two foursomes, one on each wing.  Lighted practice green behind houses are fun in the evening with a drink and cigar.

Overall, a fun golf experience for a modern course.

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »
I wouldn't want to play Minikahda No. 1 with my nerves jangling.

Easy hole (short, straight par-4), but easy to mess it up, too (short into front bunkers, long OB).

Good call Dan--plus OB/parking lot right. And the 1st tee is literally on the clubhouse steps and could have many a watchful eye overseeing the extra hole tee shot (I guess Merion would fit that bill too).
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 07:23:13 PM »
Match play golf is no longer the best way to sort the men from the boys? Looks like I picked the wrong century to quit sniffing glue.

I like Schmitty's template so I'll say the 1st at Grandfather for the modern category. If you're looking for a decider hole and want to gamble the reward is there -- as is the punishment.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 07:36:34 PM »
Bill Crane is correct on all counts. The Giles/Wadkins project near Richmon (Manakin-Sabot) does have a wonderful, two tiered (side by side) 19th hole of its own. The course is unlike Lester George's other Old Dominion classic, Ballyhack.

That said, I can't see how a hole could be schizophrenic enough to offer both personalities, Niall.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 07:39:57 PM »
However, I'll take a shot. It needs lurking disaster (OOB, water, sand, trees, a wretchedly sloped green.)

In a match, everything is determined by the first strike. I watched a high school match go to sudden death on the first at CCBuffalo a half-decade ago. First golfer hit left, into guarding bunker. Second golfer (the home team player) took driver up over trees on right, taking sand and OOB out of the equation (nothing scary up the right side for these whelps.) Flip half-wedge and two putts later, it was over.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 08:29:43 AM »
Ronald

Schizophrenic is quite a good way to put it. I like the par 5 idea. Maybe a hole where you're not inclined to go for in two playing it as the first hole, before you properly warm up but maybe would as the 19th hole. Or then again maybe getting to the 19th you might be more inclined to play more conservatively in a sudden death situation, I don't know. Mind you, having played 18 holes already, who would want to play a par 5 ? Better a short par 4 perhaps.

I wonder if any architects have ever given it any consideration at all when designing a course, I suspect not.

Niall

Lester George

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 08:44:31 AM »
Ronald,

The Giles/Wadkins project?

Lester

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 09:19:06 AM »
Permission, please to comment and then hopefully seamlessly shift into another take on this theme/meme.

Firstly, I've probably played more 19th holes in serious (i.e. something that really means something to somebody and is played under the supervision of a Committee) competition than most of the people on this site (my number is 5).  I guess this, as few people outside of the Commonwealth (90+% of this forum) play serious competitive match play, and even when they do, hell they don't even go down the 18th in the Ryder or President's or Curtis or Solheim or Walker Cup's!).  Given that, MO is

--19th holes suck, whether or not you have got there by winning or losing or even halving the last hole.  You are butt arsed tired, but you at least another hole and at worst another 18 or 19 or whatever.  Chinese water torture is like lying on beds of asphodel with 72 virgins in tow in heaven compared to going down the 19th towards ??????
--the further you go from the 19th tee, the further you go from the clubhosue, where your friends and your fellow competitors and pints of Guiness or Beer or Lager or Cider or even Coca Cola await
--even if you win, you are knackered, and very unlikely to win your next match.

So......

.....the best 19th hole is in the clubhouse, any chubhouse, IF you are joined by true friends and worry about the golf only outisde of its contribution to the common banter.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Lester George

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »
Rich,

Nice rant.  In the case of Kinloch's 19th hole, the 19th green is closest to the clubhouse.  You can't get the pub to enjoy suds with your friends without going right by the tee.  That said, I understand they are not for everyone.

Lester

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back