News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Coronado GC
« on: September 01, 2011, 11:00:47 PM »
Anyone ever played this course just outside San Diego?  Thoughts?  It seems like a good value given the location.

Alex Miller

Re: Coronado GC
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 12:43:19 AM »
Absolutely a great value, if you can get on! It plays better in the cooler wetter because the course gets faster and firmer. Large interesting greens, visually intimidating bunkers, and some quirk and variety. It is the best value in San Diego, and I've started to choose playing there over either course at Torrey, even as a local.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »
When I lived in San Diego for two years this was my course of preference.  Not only was the green fee something around 20 to 25 bucks all the time, it is in a very enjoyable setting.  You drive down to San Diego then cross the Coronado Bridge and start to see the course to the left right on the water, don't look to long though or you will cause an accident.  Then you come up to the starters desk and realize that you are probably going to have to wait till 2 hours till sunset.  This course is VERY HARD to get on with a morning tee time unless you book a double price tee time online through their website or show up at 5am in the morning.  The course is not a architectural masterpiece by any means, but it has a lot of fun golf holes with many steep back to front sloped greens.  The bunkers are well placed, and holes 2, 3, 15, 16, 17, and 18 all play along or next to the water.  It is usually in pretty decent condition for the amount of play they get.  IMO, probably one of the best deals in America especially since it is in California.  With Coronado in San Diego and Rustic Canyon in LA, SoCal is blessed to have two very affordable great public tracks.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:53:51 PM by Peter Ferlicca »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 02:30:13 PM »
i used to play there in the late afternoon and it was great. Slow round but who cares when you are in that setting.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 02:53:59 PM »
I'll be the 4th to highly recommend Coronado. The original golf course on Coronado Island was lost to housing in 1955; it was just south of North Island Naval Air Station (NASNI) and was accessable to guests of the famous Hotel Del Coronado. When the Navy dredged the harbor in the 50's to allow Aircraft carriers to dock at North Island the fill was deposited along Glorietta Blvd and makes up the golf course we know today. Since it is built on pure sand it is the quickest draining course in San Diego. The only real drawback is that the bermuda grass has been overtaken by kikuyu grass; ideal for less experienced players but detrimental to the bounce of the ball. The course was designed by Jack Daray, who got his start in the Chicago area. He designed quite a few course for the military in this area; Mira Mar, Admiral Baker and the original 9 holer at the CB Base in Port Hueneme. The course strikes an excellent balance between playability for the masses and keeping the interest of the better player. It is without a doubt the easiest walk in golf; with the entire course at sea level.

As has been stated the price is right: $30 on weekdays and $35 on weekends. There is no distinction between locals and visitors unlke Torrey Pines. The course is controlled by the Port Authority and its charter allows it to only make enough profit to provide capital improvements. You can reserve tee times by either calling at 9:00 am (619-435-3122) or showing up in person for a lottery, both two days in advance. You can also get a prepaid reservation for a slight surcharge; these rounds cannot  commence until after 10:00 am. Unless there is a Tournament a single stands an excellent chance if they arrive at 6:00 am and get on the wait list.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:44:50 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 05:02:01 PM »
I'll make that five.  I played in April and it is a great setting, great fun, and a good deal. 

I also think tee box for the 15th hole has to be as close to a road intersection as any hole I've ever played.  We were chatting with folks walking down the sidewalk while we waited for the green to clear.

All part of the fun!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 07:23:06 PM »
Pete reminded me about the Navy Sea & Air course on Coronado is also a good track if you have military access.

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.aspx?course=104545
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 07:31:38 PM »
We just confirmed we are playing there (Coronado) the morning of 9/23.  I'll try to take some pictures and get Bausch to post them after the round.  Looks like a great location and is certainly more convenient than Torrey since we are staying at the Andaz downtown.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:34:08 PM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Jim Johnson

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 03:22:22 PM »
Just booked a twilight round here for June 10th.
$15.

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 03:33:53 PM »
Another thumbs up.  One also has the option of going early and playing the back nine only.  The back nine has more holes close to the water, with one of the par fours kind of a mini "cape.".  They let people out off hole ten for the first 1 1/2 hours or so.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
Played there last October had no problem getting a tee time by phoning in advance per the web site.  Great fun great location.

William_G

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 04:59:57 PM »

Love that island and would play there all the time if I lived there
It's all about the golf!

Jim Johnson

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 10:34:26 AM »
I'll try to post a few pictures. Next week...Coronado, Barona Creek, Torrey Pines (North or South, not sure yet), and Admiral Baker.
Looking forward to some quality r & r in San Diego. Beautiful city.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 12:51:09 PM »
I'll try to post a few pictures. Next week...Coronado, Barona Creek, Torrey Pines (North or South, not sure yet), and Admiral Baker.
Looking forward to some quality r & r in San Diego. Beautiful city.

Admiral Baker is nothing special. I would go for Sea & Air on Coronado instead if you want to play a nice military course on the ocean or add Maderas if you want upscale canyon course or Balboa Park muni if you are saving $ and still want a fun course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back