News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Bill - that's so yesterday's news ;)

DMoriarty

I am a bit confused here.  Dan Herrmann, aka Mike Cirba, pulls up a thread that has been dead for a almost month to regale us yet again with the same old articles Mike Cirba has posted repeatedly in the past, as if the articles somehow say something different this time.  This situation is a bit frustrating for me because, while Dan aka Mike doesn't do me the courtesy of naming me me specifically, he blatantly misrepresents my position regarding the use of the verb "to lay out" at Merion and elsewhere.  It doesn't seem right that I should have to keep correcting his misrepresentations of my positions when by Mike's own choice isn't even a member of this discussion group!

This time I won't bother setting the record straight regarding my understanding.   No need to, because Merion's own Board Minutes leave no doubt as to how Merion used the verb "to lay out" in conjunction with the creation of Merion East.

Merion's Board Minutes indicate that Merion would "lay out" the course on the ground according to the plan that H.J. Whigham and C.B. Macdonald had helped create and the plan that H.J. Whigham and C.B. Macdonald had "approved."

No matter how many irrelevant and tangential snippets and articles Mike has Dan post, he cannot change what Merion's Board Minutes say on the matter. And Merion's Board Minutes say essentially the same thing I said in my IMO!   Merion would "lay out" the course on the ground according to a plan.  A plan that CBM and HJW had played a large part in developing.  A plan over which CBM and HJW were given final say in determining.  A plan CBM and HJW "approved."  A plan submitted to Merion's board as the plan "approved" by HJW and CBM!

And what, according to Merion's Minutes, was Hugh Wilson role in developing this plan?  His name never even comes up!  I have always acknowledged Wilson played a role in the planning, but you'd never know it looking at Merion's own contemporaneous administrative records written during the time period when the planning was actually taking place.  

The two names that come up again and again in these records?   Charles B. Macdonald and Henry J. Whigham.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:43:19 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back