News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Boy, are they improving
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:19:54 AM »
Ridgewood (NJ)

The tree removal project in conjunction with the bunker project, joining fairways project are all having a very positive impact on this very good golf course.

Who has played it this year ?

I'll be back to elaborate this weekend.

Niall Hay

Re: Boy, are they improving
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:28:45 AM »
"tree removal project in conjunction with the bunker project" - seems to be all the rage right now for courses from the Golden Age.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:14:13 PM »
Aah - Ridgewood.    That's one that's definitely on my bucket list.  Fell in love with it when I attended The Barclays there a couple of years ago.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:25:58 PM »
To continue.

The moment I stepped on the tee on # 1 East, I could see the difference.

The typically tree lined fairways and mini-forests were gone, giving the golfer views across the property to the other holes.

As you begin your round, irrespective of the nine your start on, the removal is very apparent.

The holes look so much better as the features seem to stand out more.

Strategic bunkers have been added, some more visual than others, such as on # 4 Center.

One of the most notable changes occur on the 4th and 5th holes of the West course where back tees were added to # 4, a huge fairway bunker inserted and the fairways of the two holes merged.  The look and play are greatly improved, although, there's one tree about 100 yards short and right of # 4 green that should go.  In addition the greens have been expanded to recapture areas lost over the years.

Ridgewood doesn't get the attention it deserves.
One of the striking things about Ridgewood is the diversity and quality of the holes.

Long holes, short holes, dogleg left holes, dogleg right holes, uphill holes, downhill holes, Ridgewood has them all.

I'm hoping that the membership, seeing the vast improvement with the changes to date, will encourage the accelerated continuation of the tree clearing and improvements to the golf course.

Again, the changes to # 4 & 5 are spectacular.  The before and after are quite dramatic.

And, as a collection, the par 5's at Ridgewood are probably AWT's best set.
Solid and diverse.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »
Pat,

So how is the chainsaw crew working at Mountain Ridge?

USGA is doing a great job promoting tree de-selection. Yet, I look in vain for major reductions at Baltusrol.

Hmmm.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »
Malcolm,

Mountain Ridge looks better than ever.

More trees are gone, thanks especially to the unexpected snow storm in October when the trees were full of leaves and the heavy snow caused an enormous number of them to snap, break limbs or topple.

The course looks great and the views of the clubhouse from the course are great.

As a result, the wind is more of a factor.

We've had plenty of rain the last week or so, but, the course will be F&F once the course dries out.

The improvements to #'s 12, 13 and 15 are stunning.

I was at Baltusrol recently and was a little disappointed that they weren't further along in a tree management program

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 12:28:21 AM »
Pat,

I, too, am enthralled with the cutting as well as the natural culling here at Springdale in Princeton.

When the trees are removed the natural slope of the grounds are much more apparent. Areas that once looked flat assume alpine dimensions.

I'm not sure that the USGA or PGA want to see tree removal at their "championship" courses. Think of Oak Hill where the lines of play are so, so incredibly tight or Baltusrol. Never been to Olympic but sounds like the same deal.

That is my point. The USGA/PGA talk out of both sides of their mouths. They promote playability and enjoyment and turf quality with the exception being their championship venues,

Cheers,

Malcolm

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:38:28 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 07:28:31 AM »
Malcolm,

Like any large organization, it depends upon whom you talk to.

I think the Agronomy consulting service is100% behind tree management.

As far as the championship venues, I think their focus is elsewhere when it comes to individual venues.

I see green speeds, cupping locations, determining length for each hole, logistics, tents, transportation and other issues higher up on their priority list.

I think the USGA does a great job in conducting championships.

There's a lot more that goes on that doesn't meet the eye.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 08:51:26 AM »
Malcolm,

I think the USGA has become a stronger advocate for prudent tree removals in the last several years. Stan Zontek, the "Dean" of the agronomists at the USGA, has been an ardent and vocal supporter of tree removals to open up courses for: vistas, turf health, and more effecient maintenance. Overall, I think they are on the right track on this issue.

The USGA has a way to go in some other areas, most notably improving their "RE-INVESTMENT" in fostering caddie golf, which has been pathetic considering the titanic contributions that the caddie dynamic has made throughout the game's history and growth in the United States and abroad. With that $280 MILLION DOLLAR war chest, you'd would hope they'd find some significant level of commitment and funding to address that, beyond shoveling yet more money at just junior golf championships(which involves about 5% of total youth that play) or First Tee.

Happy Memorial Day!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back