News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

One of the more charming places for golf I experience is the Temple Terrace Country Club in the eponymous northeastern suburb of Tampa. Not until a year ago did I get the chance to play the course, despite having previous lived within two miles in 2008. The course is quite historic, with Jim Barnes listed as the first golf professional. Tom Bendelow is responsible for the layout.

The course lies on terrain just west of the winding Hillsborough River. Local knowledge suggests that all the greens subtly break toward the river. The course is generally flattish, but the greens are tilted just enough to cause headaches on short putts and place some premium on correct placement from the fairway.

I find the closing stretch particularly keen, and even somewhat surprising in both difficulty and sophistication. Scoring on the course is generally difficult with little possibility for outright disaster. The shot demands increase on the 15th hole, however.

A photo peregrination to follow:

15th Hole: Par 3, 165 Yards

The bunker toplines are well considered and hide the putting green dimensions, as well as the severity of the front portion of the green.

Alternate views, showing the green contours.

I am particularly proud of this view. Every high point of the hole is reflected in this image. Whomever manages the bunker lines did a wonderful job here. Note the front left hole location.

Not my best, but shows the severity of the back to front tilt.

17th Hole: Par 3 195 Yards

Not much shown in this view. The putting green is narrow with rather stark fall-aways to the right and back.

Sarge is excited over his deftly carved approach from the tee.

18th Hole: Par 5 510 Yards

This excellent finish hole doglegs up and over the ridge toward the old clubhouse (now owned by neighboring Florida College) A tee shot placed near the bunkers offers a view of the top of the flagstick

A well placed drive offers this view. Note the flag peaking over the ridge contrasted in the background of the former clubhouse building.

The attractive finishing view at Temple Terrace. The building in the background served as the clubhouse until purchased by Florida College.

Just left of the last image, along the shore of the Hillsborough River:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:43:17 PM by Kyle Harris »

Bill_McBride

Nematodes?   Check your IM.

Kyle Harris

Nematodes?   Check your IM.

Yes, they had their Curfew application earlier that week I think.

Steve_ Shaffer

Kyle,

I understand that the late Robin Roberts, the former Phillies star pitcher and baseball HOF member, and avid golfer,was a member at Temple Terrace for many years while he was the baseball coach at nearby USF.  While he was in Philly, I believe he was member of HV and/or North Hills.

As you know, he and Curt Simmons own the famous Limekiln GC in the Philly 'burbs.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kyle Harris

Kyle,

I understand that the late Robin Roberts, the former Phillies star pitcher and baseball HOF member, and avid golfer,was a member at Temple Terrace for many years while he was the baseball coach at nearby USF.  While he was in Philly, I believe he was member of HV and/or North Hills.

As you know, he and Curt Simmons own the famous Limekiln GC in the Philly 'burbs.

Yes, this is very true and Temple Terrace CC embraces the Phillies connection. His number is proudly displayed in both the pro shop and the rather nice 19th hole.

I believe he passed away a year or so ago?

John_Cullum

Perhaps now that we have found a Philadelphia connection, this thread may generate some interest. Ther's alot of good stuff at TT. The routing through the neighborhood is unique. It seems as if the course was routed on the best land for golf and then the streets were put in around it. The club was designed to be an integral part of the development; which seems rare for the time
Raynor was a hack

Kyle Harris

Perhaps now that we have found a Philadelphia connection, this thread may generate some interest. Ther's alot of good stuff at TT. The routing through the neighborhood is unique. It seems as if the course was routed on the best land for golf and then the streets were put in around it. The club was designed to be an integral part of the development; which seems rare for the time

Well, how do you like the photos?

I think we need to photo document the 2nd, 3rd, 8th and 9th for some more interest.

The oh-so-subtle greens should make anyone on GolfClubAtlas happy. Where is Cory when you need him?

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Going to be in Tampa next week for work. Just learned that my Thursday morning opened up and am looking to play somewhere, and driving out to Streamsong might not work. Reading this thread, it seems this course might be worthwhile? Any others that are in close proximity to the Convention Center where I'll need to be by 1PM?

Thanks,
Wayne

Kyle Harris

They've done some work and not necessarily for the better. The middle bunker on the Par-3 15th is gone, for instance. It's been four years since I've played it.

Might be more worthwhile to brave crossing the bay and playing Dunedin.

Babe Zaharias has some good stuff. J. Franklin Meehan of Philadelphia designed it as the Forest Hills Country Club in 1925. Same guy that did North Hills and Sandy Run, among others.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

They've done some work and not necessarily for the better. The middle bunker on the Par-3 15th is gone, for instance. It's been four years since I've played it.

Might be more worthwhile to brave crossing the bay and playing Dunedin.

Babe Zaharias has some good stuff. J. Franklin Meehan of Philadelphia designed it as the Forest Hills Country Club in 1925. Same guy that did North Hills and Sandy Run, among others.

Kyle,
Many thanks for the recommendations.
W

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back