News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: New Picture On Front Page
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »
First the Paul interviews and now the Mackenzies.  Ominous implications for the Hillbillies.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

William_G

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »
I think the bags do reflect well on golf and golf architecture.

For one, walking is the best way to play and experience architecture, and carrying one of those is the way to go.

Also, kickstands aren't needed on the best type of soil for golf course architecture...sand, there is no mud!

When I think of golf as it should be, I think of these type of golf bags.

Thanks, I'll have another, LOL.
It's all about the golf!

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 08:26:22 PM »
I would like to chime in and give my full endorsement to my Mackenzie bag. Todd graciously made a navy blue canvas bag for me with the white Yale Y down near the pocket that is a prototype for a bag that we will offer to alums as a fundraiser. It has been in use for about a year now and I think all but one of the caddies I've had during that time have said they enjoyed it...meaning they didn't mind the lack of stand.

It made its way around Whippoorwill today with a high school kid carrying it and he remarked that he liked how it wrapped around his side.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »
I spent the weekend at The Kingsley Club...before the trip I decided to take everything out of my Sun Mountain bag, put only what I needed in my Mackenzie, and carry just 11 clubs...

I really enjoyed the rounds and loved carrying my Mackenzie again...they are really beautiful bags and simply feel great on the shoulder and look great laying beside the green or next to a tee marker.  Ben said it great - "I love it because it fits everything I need and nothing I don't."  

Carrying the bag adds to my experience on the course and therefore I think it is relevant on this site where we do discuss our passion and experiences as they relate to golf and the courses we play this great game on...

I spent my 40th weekend birthday week at Kingsley with my wife - what a great way to mark the passage of time and look forward to the future together...

Here is a photo she took this morning...

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 03:22:38 PM by Chris Hufnagel »

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 10:16:28 PM »
I have a Ping carry bag that has a hard plastic arm that sticks up so you can pick it up without bending down (good feature for fat guys) the bag cost me 50$. Why is the Mackenzie worth 750$ more than my bag?

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 10:36:14 PM »
I have a Ping carry bag that has a hard plastic arm that sticks up so you can pick it up without bending down (good feature for fat guys) the bag cost me 50$. Why is the Mackenzie worth 750$ more than my bag?

Keith, good question...

I think you can look at it qualitatively or quantitatively...

Qualitatively, I think the simple answer is the beauty (value or worth, as well) is in the eyes of the beholder.  I simply like my bag and therefore it was worth it to me...

Quantitatively, I think you could probably do the math on materials, time, and craftsmanship that went into Ping carry bag and compare that to a Mackenzie bag.  I am not sure the delta is $750, but there would be a gap...

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 01:55:49 AM »
Great picture Chris. I've saved a copy!

Maybe that could be the next GCA front page?

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 10:27:13 PM »
Funny what people like and don't like.  I have used a MacKenzie for years.  I am presently not using it as i aquired an Iliac leather bag over he winter.  While the  MacKenzie is a better bag, more comfortable and better design.   The Iliac has some features thst are an iimprovement and better colors.  In my mind no other carry bag compares in comfort and functionality.  I have owned them all.  Sure you have to bend over and pick it up although there is effort needed to set a Ping stand  bag down.  The Ping Moon II is not even close to as functional but is only $100 or so.

I have owned both the nylon and the leather models but I haven't yet ordered exactly what I want as I am unsure.  Typically have bought them in golf shops of the rack or eBay.  Yes, they are expansive but a leather one will last a lifetime with reasonable care.  I carry it in the rain often with no issues.  So in the long run they aren't really more expensive.

To me it's just a cool item, kind of like a nice watch or a favorite scotch etc.   Golf for me isn't just a sport, it's a lifestyle and this bag fits in that better than any other product.  It is my favorite golf item.  Heck I get a few new clubs each year at roughly the cost of a MacKenzie and a few years alter they are worth zero.  I bought my last Mackenzie on EBay for $460, I could probably sell it for more tomorrow.

So love them, to me it embodies tradition and that is an important part of  what makes golf great.

Dan

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »
I have been close to picking up that Muria bag as I love the colors and Muria clubs fit the market.  However since I know longer have Muria Cb202s I feel funny with a Muria logo bag.  Was one on eBay last week.

BTW I also love Illiac headcovers, over priced, you bet, but a small luxury I like having.

Dan

Sam Morrow

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 10:34:42 PM »
Do the Illiacs protect your clubs well?

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Scott Warren,

Check out Nick Bowles Mackenzie bag when you go to Bonnie Doon next. Not leather but more affordable and really good.

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 11:20:01 PM »
Do the Illiacs protect your clubs well?

The illiac headcovers are great, protect the clubs all I need.  Easier to put on and off than then OEM ones and look much better IMHO.  Another small luxury but worth it.  The illiac bag has a thin leather separator that  splits the top of the bag in two.  Doesn't work nearly as well as they more rugged splinter in the Mackenzie.  It only a matter of time before the Iliac one breaks IMHO.

So I love the classic look of a sale leather carry bag and leather headcovers and it's it my favorite piece of golf equipment.   

While certainly a Mackenzie bag isn't cheap it's truly a great product tht will out last countless other stand bags that seem to barely survive a year or two.  So long term it's worth it.

Dan

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 03:58:39 AM »
Gentlemen,

This not a Mackenzie bag but it is a Macqueen bag. A bit battered and dog-eared like its owner!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back