News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

1. The golf has to be interesting and with a good chance to be dry in October.

2. The two games and one night's accommodation has to come in at about £100. 

3. Seacroft is the target course.  We are thinking North Shore may be a good pairing, but I have never heard anything about the course.  Any comments for those in the know?

4. Is there another cheap and interesting course which takes visitors on the weekend near Seacroft or on the way from Birmingham?

Cheers

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ben Stephens

1. The golf has to be interesting and with a good chance to be dry in October.

2. The two games and one night's accommodation has to come in at about £100.  

3. Seacroft is the target course.  We are thinking North Shore may be a good pairing, but I have never heard anything about the course.  Any comments for those in the know?

4. Is there another cheap and interesting course which takes visitors on the weekend near Seacroft or on the way from Birmingham?

Cheers

Ciao

Sean,

You should try Sleaford - it is an old fashioned sandy inland course with a few quirks - a driveable opener and last hole plus a short par 3 over trees!

http://www.sleafordgolfclub.co.uk/

Sandilands, north of Skeggy, is another unusual course with a shared 'tight' fairway for 2 holes! I shot gross 68 there last time round :) its the home course of Jim Payne - a former European Tour player you could stay in the Grange Hotel which owns the course.

http://www.sandilandsgolfclub.co.uk/

Also Woodhall is not far away as well.

Not played North Shore but hear its a course of 2 halves - links and parkland.

Cheers
Ben

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:44:21 AM by Ben Stephens »

James Boon

Sean,

Afraid I've played little golf out that way, but have naturally heard quite a bit so based on what others have said:

- North Shore has always been spoken well of, but it does sound a little like holiday golf to me rather than a good partner to Seacroft?
- I suppose it depends how close you want to be to Seacroft?
- I've heard decent things about Lincoln Golf Club aka Torksey?
- I'm guessing you have already discounted Woodhall Spa, as thats an obvious choice out that way?
- Ben's Rutland Water is sort of on the way, and therefore so is Luffenham Heath?
- Talking of "sort of on the way", Seacroft certainly isn't on an obvious route so Nottingham is sort of on the way as well...

How many in your party? Not sure about Luffenham, Woodhall or Torksey for accessibility on a weekend?

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

Cheers!

Yes, I should have stated that Woodhall Spa is far too expensive to meet the £100ish requirement for two games and b&b.  In fact, Seacroft may be too dear!

Ben

Sandilands & Sleaford sound interesting.  Do you think 8-12 guys would string me up after playing or would they walk off with a smile?  Is Rutland Water better and will it be dry in late October?

James

I fear we are too large a group to take advantage of your brewing(?) idea, but it was a kind thought. 

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ben Stephens

Cheers!

Ben

Sandilands & Sleaford sound interesting.  Do you think 8-12 guys would string me up after playing or would they walk off with a smile?  Is Rutland Water better and will it be dry in late October?

Sean,

Rutland Water greens drain really well even with this amount of rain we have had the course is still open and I have had no probs with it in October. It is a fun course (and work in progress) and I would be happy to take you around it. Here is the info regarding societies.

http://www.rutlandwatergolfcourse.co.uk/pages/societies.htm

Suggestion is that you have a group to play Rutland Water and Luffenham Heath staying in either Normanton Park Hotel with stunning views to Rutland Water or stay in the Falcon Hotel in Uppingham which is in Uppingham Market Place where there are local pubs within short walking distances.

Here is a thread that I did a while back for Luffenham in Autumn

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42028.0.html

Forget about Seacroft (go another time) come to Rutland instead  ;D

Sandilands is quirky and a fun course to play on Sleaford is old fashioned type course and is one of the best draining courses in the county with greens normally in fine condition. Seacroft is a fine course could be better if the course conditions was better.

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:20:11 AM by Ben Stephens »

Neil White

Hi Sean,

Personally I would give North Shore a miss - having played it fairly often when I lived in Skegness it is a typical holidaymakers course as suggested by James.  Only a handful of holes play along a dune ridge with the majority laid upon a flat parkland type area that runs alongside Roman Bank.

If you did decide to play there I would do it first as it would finish the weekend off on a low especially if you do play Seacroft which is substantially better.

I would imagine you would be travelling into Skegness along the A52?  If so you could try Boston West, a fairly new yet sporty layout with little pedigree but was always a fun day out and you'd have more chance of getting on at the weekend and at a reasonable £20 to boot.

Cheers,

Neil.

Courses played 2020 - ................!

Ben Stephens

Cheers!

Ben

Sandilands & Sleaford sound interesting.  Do you think 8-12 guys would string me up after playing or would they walk off with a smile?  Is Rutland Water better and will it be dry in late October?

Sean,

Rutland Water greens drain really well even with this amount of rain we have had the course is still open and I have had no probs with it in October. It is a fun course (and work in progress) and I would be happy to take you around it. Here is the info regarding societies.

http://www.rutlandwatergolfcourse.co.uk/pages/societies.htm

Suggestion is that you have a group to play Rutland Water and Luffenham Heath staying in either Normanton Park Hotel with stunning views to Rutland Water or stay in the Falcon Hotel in Uppingham which is in Uppingham Market Place where there are local pubs within short walking distances.

Here is a thread that I did a while back for Luffenham in Autumn

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42028.0.html

Forget about Seacroft (go another time) come to Rutland instead  ;D

Sandilands is quirky and a fun course to play on Sleaford is old fashioned type course and is one of the best draining courses in the county with greens normally in fine condition. Seacroft is a fine course could be better if the course conditions was better.

Cheers
Ben

Sean,

I also forgot to mention the par 3 course at Rutland Water - it is the most quirky course in Rutland a must play before or after 18 holes on 'Ben's' course!

its 9 pounds a round and a great 'ride'

Cheers
Ben

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back