News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Re: Interview with Bill Love - Olympic Club and more
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »
Then it should be a great Open ;D
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jay Flemma

« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2012, 09:38:57 AM »
Hey Tiger (and other members) how did you come to choose Oly over other area clubs like SFGC or Cali Club?  I'd love to hear stories about what attracted you there:)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Carl Nichols

« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2012, 10:05:01 AM »
Does anyone call it Oly?

David_Tepper

« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »
"Does anyone call it Oly?"

Carl Nichols,

The club's website address is: www.olyclub.com

DT
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:46:04 AM by David_Tepper »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2012, 11:06:50 AM »
DT:
NGLA's website is https://www.natgolflinks.org/, but something tells me people rarely call it the "Nat."

Jay Flemma

« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »
But they do call it the National.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2012, 11:45:19 AM »
Jay:
No doubt.  And I've heard people call the Olympic Club both "Olympic" and "The O Club."  I just haven't personally ever heard someone call it "Oly," assuming that rhymes with "roly poly." 

Jay Flemma

« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »
I didn't coin it, I heard it from a bunch of other places.  Don't worry - I only use it here and on Twitter, not in articles or interviews.

"O Club"?? Ick!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »
Guys a question - John Gordon in "Great Golf Courses of America" lists Wilfred Reid as the architect of the Lake Course, but others credit Sam Whiting.  What's the real story?

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
Jay,

Wilfrid Reid designed an 18 hole course, named Lakeside Golf Club, on the property where the Olympic Club is presently.  The Olympic bought the property in 1918 and by 1922 they had acquired 370 acres of land (enough for 36 holes).  In 1924, Willie Watson designed the Lake and Ocean courses with the help of Sam Whiting (the golf professional and superintendent at the Olympic Club).  Following a bad winter storm in 1927, Sam Whiting, redesigned the two golf courses to move the the Lake and the majority of the Ocean to the east of Skyline Blvd.  The present routing of the golf course is from the Sam Whiting design of 1927. 

Jay Flemma

« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2012, 09:43:18 PM »
Thank you.  Contact me off list for more.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »
Golf.com interview with Pat Finlen about course changes the last 10 years: Length,  bent/rye fairways, #8 and #18 green 

http://www.golf.com/video/olympic-made-longer-stronger-2012-us-open
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Will Lozier

« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2012, 09:52:56 AM »
Golf.com interview with Pat Finlen about course changes the last 10 years: Length,  bent/rye fairways, #8 and #18 green  

When the Director of Golf Maintenance Operations calls the new 18th green "benign", doesn't one have to call into question some of the changes made in Love's "renovation"?!  At least that change?  Who wants the 18th green at their course - or the US Open - to be "benign"?  Especially given what they had?  Or, has he just made an inappropriate word choice?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2012, 12:39:10 PM »
Golf.com interview with Pat Finlen about course changes the last 10 years: Length,  bent/rye fairways, #8 and #18 green  

When the Director of Golf Maintenance Operations calls the new 18th green "benign", doesn't one have to call into question some of the changes made in Love's "renovation"?!  At least that change?  Who wants the 18th green at their course - or the US Open - to be "benign"?  Especially given what they had?  Or, has he just made an inappropriate word choice?

Will, you misunderstood or mis-heard his comment.  He was referring to the 2000 flattening of the green that was done by then-superintendent John Fleming.  The work later done by Bill Love adjusted the green to the current "non benign" state.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »
Kevin -

Is the size and shape of the green back to the pre-Fleming work?  I can't remember, as I only played the course a handful of times prior to the '98 Open.

WW

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
Wayne,

I believe they added 3 feet to the back left and back right corners of the green.  More pin placements.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2012, 05:41:09 PM »
Au contrair, mon ami, I loved the old 8th. Holes in ones are rare,  Wishing for a hole in one is common. With the old 8th, if you hit a decent shot, you walked up to the green with the hope you were in the hole or close. Almost all the time you were disappointed, but the feeling walking up there after a good shot was always fun.

The secret to a good blind par-3 is that the hole needs to be short and reasonably easy and I like fairly large greens. The 8th at Olympic had all these features.

Cheers,
Dan King
For every theory ye propose about the improvement o' the game, I'll show ye how the game is fadin' away, losin' its old charm, becomin' mechanzied by the Americans and the rest o' the world that blindly follows them.  
 --Julian Lang

My father's first hole in one of his life came on the old #8 back in the early 90's.  He waited 30+ years to make his first one and he had to endure that blind walk up the hill and fortunately had the thrill of seeing his ball in the bottom of the cup.  +1 indeed to you Dan!

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 05:43:03 PM by Jeff Fortson »
#nowhitebelt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back