News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim McCann

I was out for a drink the other evening and noticed this on one of the walls:

Presumably, the lady golfer is supposed to be Joyce Wethered, who claimed her fourth and final title at the British Ladies Amateur Championships at St Andrews in 1929.  

I just didn't expect to see something like that on the wall of a bar in sunny Tenerife.

Has anybody else come across golfing memorabilia in an unexpected place?    

JLahrman

Not sure if this counts as "memorabilia", but I have a copy of Daniel Wexler's Lost Links that I found in the bookcase at my in-laws' house. Neither of them have ever set foot on a golf course. Apparently one of my mother-in-law's interior design clients gave it to her after she finished with their home. Not sure why that book would be an appropriate gift for someone who has zero interest in or knowledge of golf. But whatever, it's in my living room now.

Gary Slatter

We have the same board hanging at Heritage Pointe (1991) in Calgary.   I'll see where it came from tomorrow.

I had a Junior clinic at Lucayan Country Club many years ago.  One of the 10 year old girls brought her grandfathers clubs.  He had passed away.   In the bag she had 23 Tommy Armour putters and pockets of Silver King and Dunlop 65 balls, all in their wrappers.  

I did offer to give her a new set as a trade but her Mom said no.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

John McCarthy

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:35:03 AM by John McCarthy »
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Neil_Crafter

I would say that board came from China ca2010. :o

Adam Clayman

I play golf almost everyday with a guy who use to only play by himself. He would go round and round, and from a far, it was obvious he was clueless about proper etiquette and how to treat a golf course. (i.e. driving right up to greens and bunkers). We eventually asked him to join us and have had some great matches over the last 4 years. At some point we realized we both grew up in the Chicagoland area, and as it turns out, his grandfather was a member at Chicago golf club. One day he mentions that he has a caddy medallion from Medinah cc from 1913. Whats so unexpected is that only 7 years ago, he was a part owner in a hunting and fishing camp, way up north in northern Canada. Sitting around the fire at night he went on record as a guy who couldn't ever understand how his friends could play such a stupid game like golf. Now he plays more than anyone in town.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Pete Blaisdell

My wife Carol and her mother are into yard sales big time. Every Saturday morning from May to October they head out with their Dunkin Donuts coffee and scour the countryside for yard sales. I tag along once in a while and have picked up some items over the years.

1--- Picked up an old '50's American Legion magazine with a full page ad for PABST BLUE RIBBON featuring Ben Hogan . Framed it and it sits on my wall in my Golf room.   Cost 50cents

2---Bought a Scotty Cameron Oil Can putter for 3 dollars , sent it to Scotty's Custom Shop and had it completely redone. Beautiful !! Good investment.

3--Bought a Wilson Gene Sarazen 283 Wedge (1932) for five bucks and cleaned it up. Donated to the USGA for the Sarazen exhibit in '94. Sold it 5 years ago for $300 to a collector in Detrot.

4--Bought a series of instructional books by Rosburg , Ford and Snead for One Dollar.

You never know what you'll find in someone's garage!!
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

John McCarthy

Pete:  I had and lost an ad with Hogan touting the health benefit of some brand of cigarette. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Marty Bonnar

Jim,
That's a doosie.
If that is Joyce then she's just whiffed and missed the ball completely OR this is a cack-handed left-handed lady golfer who is clearly over-clubbing given the flag is a mere five yards away. Or maybe she's Phil Mickelson's mother?
Either way, it's obviously some cheap made crap which should be utterly cryit doun.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back