News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Hufnagel

Practice green at Old Macdonald
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:20:51 PM »
Quick question, I was out at Bandon Dunes last month - they looked to be doing some work on the practice green outside the Old Macdonald clubhouse...I asked one of the starters there what was happening - he mentioned they were moving the practice green back towards the road - away from #1 tee.  It was my first visit to Old Macdonald and the green was roped off, so I couldn't walk around it - does anyone know what the story is and why the green is being relocated?  

Bill_McBride

Re: Practice green at Old Macdonald
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:03:01 PM »
Is it possible a new way back tee is being built in that area?

Matthew Essig

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 12:51:07 AM »
Just played old mac today and the new part of the practice green is still being grown in. I'm guessing it is because the other part of the practice green is very slopey and the new part is much flatter.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 06:30:48 AM »
We built the original practice green out of the native sand in the low area in front of the clubhouse, and the porosity of the sand turned out to be pretty low ... the green was suffering because it was so wet.  So, they went back in and rebuilt it using better sand in the lower half of the green last fall.  I would think it should be ready to open again fairly soon.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:46:36 AM »
Thanks Tom...

I know this has been discussed before on this site and I know you once built a Himalayas-inspired green at High Pointe, but was there ever a discussion about building such a green some place at Bandon Dunes? 

The green at the practice center is cool, but after a full day of golf that isn't the first place I would want to hang out with friends and a beverage putting while the sun sets...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »
Thanks Tom...

I know this has been discussed before on this site and I know you once built a Himalayas-inspired green at High Pointe, but was there ever a discussion about building such a green some place at Bandon Dunes? 

The green at the practice center is cool, but after a full day of golf that isn't the first place I would want to hang out with friends and a beverage putting while the sun sets...

Chris,

I still maintain the one at PD is the best one.  Its right near the 1st tee and the clubhouse and the green is about as wild a putting green as I've ever played.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
Thanks Tom...

Chris,

I still maintain the one at PD is the best one.  Its right near the 1st tee and the clubhouse and the green is about as wild a putting green as I've ever played.

Kalen, that is a good one - almost too wild for me before a round of golf though...I am such a head case on the tee shot at #1 Pacific Dunes...that is easily the hardest tee shot for me on the course and I hate the fact that it is the first one of the day...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 07:56:26 PM »
Thanks Tom...

Chris,

Kalen, that is a good one - almost too wild for me before a round of golf though...I am such a head case on the tee shot at #1 Pacific Dunes...that is easily the hardest tee shot for me on the course and I hate the fact that it is the first one of the day...

Chris,

Couldn't agree more.  Into that summer wind its a very intimidating tee shot because you know even a slight fade will be pushed into that massive dune on the right and you may as well re-tee as opposed to trying to play it from there.  I'm a bit surprised the course has one of the most demanding tee shots right out of the gate.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back