News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steven Blake

New Member Introduction
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:52:33 PM »
I have been following this site for several years now and actually have been a member for sometime but have not really posted anything or given myself an introduction ... so here it goes...
I am currently the head golf course Superintendent at Ridgeway Country Club in Neenah, Wisconsin.  I graduated from Rutgers University 2004 with GCA contributor Joey Chase.  Before working at Ridgeway I was the Assistant Superintendent at North Shore Golf Club in Menasha and before that I was the Assistant Superintendent at Milwaukee Country Club in River Hills, Wisconsin.  I love golf course architecture and golf in general.  I obviously like discussing architecture and turfgrass maintenance.  I am very fortunate to have worked at some great courses and for two of the best Superintendents in the business Scott Schaller @ NSGC and Pat Sisk @ MCC.  I must say I have read most golf course architecture books but do not really get a chance to play as much golf.  My goal is that when I do play golf to play some really great places.
My top 10 favorite golf courses in Wisconsin are (and I admit I’m biased):
Milwaukee Country Club
North Shore Golf Club
Bluemond Country Club
Pine Hills Country Club (Sheboygan)
Oneida Country Club
Lawsonia Links
Whistling Straits (Straits)
Blackwolf Run (Composite)
Stevens Point Country Club
Bullseye Country Club
Ridgeway Country Club is a great place to work and a fun course to play.  Unfortunately it was not designed by anyone of note but is fairly old, as it was founded in 1929.  It is on a small 120 acre piece of property and features some very small undulating Poa greens.  Recently we have removed several hundred trees, mostly spruce, from the property.  In conjunction with the tree removal, we have added some drainage to golf course not only on some our greens but to other parts of the course to enhance turfgrass quality.   We use a company called XGD drainage systems which installs drainage to existing greens and does so without affecting play (but for maybe a day) and the results have been great.  Slowly we will be renovating our bunkers and have done a few to a Raynor-esqe style.  We have also widened playing corridors particularly in the approaches which became pinched overtime.  In the next few years we hope to continue improving our mowing lines, renovating more bunkers, making tees more consistent (right now we have free form, square with 90, square with rounded) and fixing some pesky drainage issues.  Because of budgetary constraints we have not utilized a golf course architect but instead have followed an essay written by Tom Doak.  In that essay it discusses tree removal, musical bunkers, grassing lines among other small items as a template to rejuvenating your home course.  So far we have picked off some items from that list.
In the coming month we will be completely renovating our 13th green.  It is a small, undulating, 2,900 square foot green that used to be inundated with large trees.   The green has very poor surface drainage and because of the trees: lacked air movement and sunlight.  In the past couple of seasons we have cut down several hundred trees in this corner of the golf course.   Soon with the help of Mike Nuzzo, Joe Hancock, and XGD drainage systems we will completely have a new complex complete with new grass down bunker(s).  If you want to follow along with this or anything Ridgeway related you can see as at:
http://www.ridgewayccturf.blogspot.com/
or on twitter at:
@RidgewayCCTurf
I look forward to contributing to the site and if anyone is in the area feel free to contact me. 

Howard Riefs

Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:48:15 PM »
Welcome, Steven!

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »
Welcome Steve! Thanks for the info on your course and good luck with the work. The XGD drainage process is amazing, I liken it to open heart surgery on a putting green. Where did you get to play when you were in New Jersey? And did you do any internships as par of your studies at Rutgers?

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:42:02 PM »
Good to meet you here, Steven!  Welcome to the nut-house...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Steven Blake

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 08:54:41 PM »
Bill,

Unfortunately I didn't really play much golf in New Jersey but I did get to tour Pine Valley and Fazio's Pine Hill.  Pine Valley was absolutely amazing.  Only being there once I remember every hole and remember the layout exactly... its funny how sometimes you play a course 10 times and don’t remember a thing .... I walk Pine Valley for 4 hours and it hasn't left my mind since.

And I must say I did enjoy walking Pine Hill as well. It would be interesting to see what changes Trump has made since I last saw the course.

I did my internship at Milwaukee Country Club ... another amazing golf course.

Jonathan Decker

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »
Steve,

Greetings and welcome to GCA!  I have heard Ridgeway is coming along quite nicely and look forward to seeing the changes sometime down the road.  Had the pleasure of playing many of the courses on your list of Wisconsin, and there were some gems in there.  Looking forward to your posts.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Joey Chase

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 11:55:27 PM »
Hello again Steve!  Glad to see you post something about what's been going on.  Congrats on the work you've been doing, sounds like its some much needed improvements.  I have the same experience from Pine Valley.  After visiting so many others, it seems to be a rare thing that after months or even years, I can remember every hole like it was yesterday after only one visit.  Have you visited any other places that have that same effect?  P.S.  I recently rejoined the maintenance world and love it and realize what I was missing!

I almost forgot to second your praise of Scott, I still today remember so much of what I've learned from working for him.  North Shore is very lucky to have the best!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:32:09 PM by Joey Chase »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »
Sorry to hear you left the Lakers. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Stuart Goldstein

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 03:39:17 PM »
Welcome.  Jump right in.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back