News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: The Pleaure And Prick Of PAINSWICK GC
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 06:26:32 AM »
Ventured to Painswick recently.
As wonderfully eccentric and enjoyable as ever.
Firm and bouncy, dry greens, daisies galore and all the better for it. Greensites full of interest and challenge and inventiveness....putting from way off the greens, bouncing shots into banks, aim 90* off and trickle a shot down a slope. Uphill shots, downhill shots, sidehill lies. Great fun. And all within a yardage of circa 4,800 yds.
Atb

Later edit - a now colourised version of an original b&w postcard of Painswick (thanks to Adrian Stiff) from a period before the quarry to the right of the 3rd fairway and with a lot less trees present
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 03:16:34 AM by Thomas Dai »

Mike Hendren

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean_A

Re: The Pleasure And Prick Of PAINSWICK GC
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »
Nice travel article for those seeking Painswick but also willing to smell the roses:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/travel/what-to-do-in-the-cotswolds-england.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below

Well, if you are going to check out the Queen's Privy...do play Cleeve Cloud set on the hill above Winchcombe.  There is also an interesting walk from town/Sudley Castle to the ruins of a Roman villa. It all makes for a pleasant few days in a relatively intact and unspoiled Cotswold town.  Plus, nearby Chipping Campden is completely undersold as it is one of the very best and most beautiful market towns I have ever visited with some good pubs serving Old Hooky rumoured to be nearby.

www.winchcombewelcomeswalkers.com/wp-content/uploads/Walk-6-spoonley_villa_walk.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchcombe

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:43:13 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2021, 06:28:56 AM »
I met the adventurous Tim Gallant for a game around Painswick recently. The course is crazy as ever!  That said, the growth of vegetation in the quarries is alarming. The 15th is almost completely blind! Some quarries offer zero chance of recovery. On the positive side, after playing Royston, the first doesn't seem that harsh!

Please see updated tour.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51629.msg1181534.html#msg1181534

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2021, 01:34:19 PM »
For those who haven’t had the pleasure of playing Painswick or aren’t able to quite fathom from stills photos the intricacies of the terrain this might assist although you may wish to view via some sort of fast forward to avoid the chat and play. Or maybe not.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WgbsRUJZL5E
Atb

Later edit - A couple of photos from a recent visit.
Below - some bovine golf enthusiasts enjoying a snack in front of the par-3 12th tee.

Below - the terrific long par-3 6th hole at seen from the rear of the green. In the far distance is the trig-point marker which marks the top of Painswick Beacon.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 04:06:53 AM by Thomas Dai »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2021, 03:15:50 PM »
I enjoy the Golf Mates films. This is a really good look at Painswick. Makes me want a game there sooooo bad!
2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

Brian Finn

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2021, 01:21:22 PM »
For those who haven’t had the pleasure of playing Painswick or aren’t able to quite fathom from stills photos the intricacies of the terrain this might assist although you may wish to view via some sort of fast forward to avoid the chat and play. Or maybe not.
Atb
I've always thought Painswick looked interesting, thanks mainly to photos and discussions here, but this video absolutely blew me away.  The course looks so wild and fun, exactly the type of place I would love to visit.  Moved way up my list!  Thanks.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2023, 03:21:06 AM »
Atb

Later edit - A couple of photos from a recent visit.
Below - some bovine golf enthusiasts enjoying a snack in front of the par-3 12th tee.

Below - the terrific long par-3 6th hole at seen from the rear of the green. In the far distance is the trig-point marker which marks the top of Painswick Beacon.

Thanks WW. Pretty good film. Although, I hope during his normal games that he doesn't leave his bag in terrible position around the green hole after hole. 👀

Ciao

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2023, 08:22:26 AM »
Here's my opinion.  I'd happily play anywhere with Sean........EXCEPT PAINSWICK  :-)

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2023, 03:38:52 AM »
I was prompted to watch the Buda video again. Damn good thrashing Doc made me laugh...again.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back