News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

"Cruden Bay?  Nah.  Ballybunion?  Nope.  Pennard?  No!

It's Perranporth in Cornwall (Braid)."

Paul Turner

"Perranporth makes every other course I've seen or played seem ridiculously over-built."

Rick Schefchik

"There is almost nothing in the world of golf and in the British Isles that prepared me for Perranporth.  Having seen so many quirky golf courses and loved them, this one does indeed make Painswick and Pennard look benign in spots."

Noel Freeman

"I went back to Perranporth recently and was flabbergasted at the outrageous nature of the design.  I know see where RTJ got his ideas for The Cashen, only Braid didn't have to push dirt about.  The conditions were sporty (or is that spotty?) with the wind out of the east - making for a crazy day of golf.  Perranporth makes some sense with a normal wind, put all those short par 4s downwind and all hell can break lose.  An old friend who was injured walked the course with me and barely uttered a word about the design the whole way round.  His eyes told me all that I needed to know. "

Sean Arble

The course is par 72, 6296 yards. From looking at Google Earth it is clear that they have added tees to increase the yardage. In the case of the 10th tee, it appears you have a crossing of the 1st fairway. In another case, the extension causes you to hit your tee shot across the previous green.

PerranporthRouting by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Another tour is at http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59279.0.html. There is a lot of commentary on the course there. I have added the pictures from there to this tour.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:59:29 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jeffwarne

Re: Perranporth (The Craziest Links in the World) Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »
"Mini Ballybunion, without the hype, price,and tour buses"
Jeff Warne
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »

Never heard of it

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:14:56 PM »

Never heard of it

That's because it's about as far away from Cruden Bay as one can be in the British Isles
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »
James Braid and mobile homes?  I'm in love.  Jeff, road trip?

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »
James Braid and mobile homes?  I'm in love.  Jeff, road trip?

Like to again, great course-played in a gale with sleet and sun.
Nice part of the world.
amazing # of Braid courses that I've really liked-or maybe it's the caravans.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »
"James Braid and mobile homes?  I'm in love."

Ben Sims -

In that case, be sure to play Brora & Golspie some day. ;)
No Braid at nearby Royal Dornoch, but plenty of mobile homes.

DT

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 10:24:12 PM »
1    Yn Nans (Downhill)    4     379

I am going to use the elevation profile from Google Earth with this tour. Unfortunately, it has some glitches, as every profile has a discontinuous change in elevation.

Elevation8 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route1 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"Wicked sloping green on 1st: 380 yds downhill, right-left canted fairway." Paul Turner

Perranporth1 on Flickr

"The great thing about P-porth is you realize the sportyness of the course right from the get go.  The fairway at the first slopes right to left like the Titanic before it went down and during the summer I wonder how you hold the fairway.  The green is no bargain either and falls away from you." Noel Freeman

"A very open and inspiring tee shot down the hill and towards the town of Perranporth. Unless the wind is in the player's face, in which case it can be a strenous opener." Ulrich Mayring

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

] on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:40:13 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 10:34:45 PM »
2    Whym Wham (This Way and That)    5     525

Elevation2 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route2 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

on Flickr

"Most holes have a number sign...so many blind shots, nobody knows where the hell they are!" Paul Turner

on Flickr

on Flickr

"Double hollow green at 2nd" Paul Turner

on Flickr

"The 2nd hole is in my opinion the craziest on the course and should be a compendium of ALL WORLD quirky holes.  The first shot is blind over the dunes and I reckon you need to hit a high cut about 270ish.  If you can hit it near 300 you'll have a shot at seeing the green. If not, then you have
another blind shot that must be hit with a draw to the green over another sand hill.. And the green?  As Paul Turner stated, it is double hollowed and looks right out of NGLA!  One of the best greens I've seen in the United Kingdom." Noel Freeman

"Probably the best hole on the course, this par 5 starts with ideally a left-to-right curving drive towards the signage." Ulrich Mayring

"The second shot is blind for most players and for the first time the question arises on which side of the marker sign it would be best to miss." Ulrich Mayring

"It turns out the left side is bad unless the dunes can be carried. There is more room to the right, although the approach to the green would be blind." Ulrich Mayring

"The green comes into view after making another 90° turn after the dunes. The approach looks straightforward from here, but the green contours are to be reckoned with." Ulrich Mayring

"One of Perranporth's undulated greens. This one has two punchbowl-like dents, that will collect any nearly-perfect ball that tries to get to the back plateau." Ulrich Mayring

"the crazy 2nd, but in truth no more crazy than about half dozen other holes.  On the second shot the direct line to the green is left of the markers, but how much carry is there?  For that matter, how far does one hit a lay-up?" Sean Arble

on Flickr

"Looking back toward the teeish." Sean Arble

on Flickr

If one is fortunate he will emerge from the bumps with a ball in play.  The green swings madly left." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"The skyline 2nd green with two intrepid golfers." Bryan Izatt

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:04:55 AM by Garland Bayley »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 10:40:42 PM »
This thread is epic.  I like the blasts from the past, they are totally fitting!!!

I lol'd a few times! :D :D :D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:43:36 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 10:41:39 PM »
3    Cowan Nuggies (Gremlins)    4     357

Elevation3 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route3 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"Panorama from 3rd: 360 yds-knob to knob." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"Approach to pulpit green at 3rd (lots of these)" Paul Turner

on Flickr

"The 3rd has one of the best skyline greens on the course, but don't worry you still have about 10 more after you finish that hole.  It very much reminded me of the approach to Ballybunion #2.  It looks like you can never hit a ball that high to hold the green, it is like approaching a green in heaven." Noel Freeman

"Driving it too far is not a good idea on this hole, as the approach will get blinder and blinder due to the imposing dunes." Ulrich Mayring

"You are not hallucinating.  This is the 3rd. It looks a doddle to drive to the upper flats...." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"...but all concenetration should be on trying to leave this for an approach...its the best most can hope for." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"heading out on #3 with #5 coming back down on the right.  Enormous room to miss right on both holes." Bryan Izatt

on Flickr

"on the wrong side of #3" Bryan Izatt

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:19:41 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 10:50:38 PM »
4    An Low (The Spoon)    3     197

Elevation4 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route4 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"Semi blind par 3: 200yds  A really good one here...a running draw is the shot." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"Looking back." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"Paul Turner, that slack jawed John Lennon lookalike, is too proud to admit it but he almost aced the 4th hole knocking it to 3 inches from 200 yards with a 1 iron-- where is Lee Trevino?- cause only G-d and Paul Turner can hit that club.. We never saw it though as the hole is semi blind and
Paul figured it had redannish qualities which it did and he hit the softest draw with a 1 iron I'll ever see." Noel Freeman

"Where is the 4th and how in the hell is one meant to hit the green?  We have gone from all out smash mouth golf to the ultimate in pussy footing.  This ball ache one-shotter is probably best played as ball ache two-shotter." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"With a hairy dune right and steep drop off to more hair left, there is precious little room to execute.  This view is from online wih the ladies tee." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"The green from the 5th tee shows fairway back to the ladies tee left.  The men's tee is somewhere below the hill!" Sean Arble

on Flickr

on Flickr

"The 4th green is out there somewhere, although those guys look somewhat short." Bryan Izatt

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:32:45 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 11:00:22 PM »
5    Pell Squat (Long Hit)    5     531

Elevation5 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Elevation5 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"Crazy par 5 5th: 530yds.  Smack it on the number sign." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"View over the brow." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"You can see the post high up in the distance.  If you can carry the dune, a 350-400 yd drive beckons" Paul Turner

on Flickr

"The 5th is another crazy par 5 which is a way reminded me of #16 at St. Enodoc because a great drive will go almost 350+ yards with the fairway's borrow and roll.  The tee shot frame is awesome b/t some sand hills and over another hill in the distance.  " Noel Freeman

"Now then, time to consult the guide.  Hhhmm, par 5 oer the top.  This is big golf!  Photo from behind the green." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"Looking back up #5 with the follwing foursome descending.  Enormous scale and width." Bryan Izatt

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:29:06 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »
6    Fel Stroghs (Subtle Stroke)    3     128

Elevation6 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route6 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"Short par 3: 130yds." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"The 6th played into the wind and reminded me a bit of Doak's #11 at Pac Dunes as bunkers short can catch a short iron approach. Paul and I both could not read the wind and wound up in the bunkers. Same thing (being short) happened to me at Pac Dunes." Noel Freeman

"The short 6th.  Don't be short, don't be long, don't be left.  Be right.  Photo from behind the green." Sean Arble

on Flickr

on Flickr

"The nasty short uphill 6th." Bryan Izatt

on Flickr

"Magnificent vistas looking across the 6th green." Bryan Izatt

on Flickr

on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:07:39 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 11:11:10 PM »
7    An Gryb (The Ridge)    4     365

Elevation7 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route7 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"Looking back at lovely par 4 7th: 365 yds." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"Different lines from different tees, so one marker sign is not enough." Ulrich Mayring

"the 7th is a ball donation hole.  The bell tells the story.  This photo is looking back to the tee." Sean Arble

on Flickr

on Flickr

"Devilish swale in front of the 7th green." Bryan Izatt

on Flickr

SA07TeeShot on Flickr

SA07Green on Flickr

SA07LookingBack on Flickr

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:24:27 PM by Garland Bayley »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 11:15:44 PM »
Help me out...with the exception of #10, I don't see any place on the google map where you hit over a previous green.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 11:17:27 PM »
8    Bothak (Humpback)    4     292

Elevation8 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route8 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"8th tee: 290 yds downhill and easily reachable in terms of distance." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"Keep right at the 8th green." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"The 8th is reachable but during the summer you'd have to play the opposite strategy of playing a hard fade to hold the fairway. Right now the slope aids a draw with a long iron-see Paul Turner 1 iron to hold the green." Noel Freeman

"The 8th is the first of four drivable par 4s.  Playing in the same direction as the first, the green is very difficult to hold." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"The 8th is downtown somewhere.  Did they use up the world supply of aiming markers on this course!?" Bryan Izatt

on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:42:01 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 11:23:09 PM »
9    Crib (Half Way)    4     364

Elevation9 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route9 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"9th approach, 365 yds uphill." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"At the 9th you see one of the drawbacks of Perranporth..There is a caravan on the course, yes a caravan, Paul and I even saw some crazy bloke driving on the sand dunes!" Noel Freeman

"9 plays back to the house - sort of.  We strolled down the 8th, now we must clamber up the 9th.  The fairway curiously steers to the right - away from the prime angle of approach.  A good drive leaves an heroic approach." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"Looking back to the tee." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"Joe's good form on the 9th." Bryan Izatt

on Flickr

SA09Approach on Flickr

SA09Green on Flickr

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:06:21 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 11:28:06 PM »
10    A-ves (Outward)    4     351

Elevation10 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route10 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"10th approach. Cool green here.  350 yds uphill." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"The back 9 is no less quirky than the front" Noel Freeman

"Much more sedate, the blind 10th runs past the house and offers a opportunity to ask the many questions one must surely have.  First of which would be to enquire as to if it is possible for a Pimms to be delivered to the 11th tee." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"Many of the greens are fairly straight-forward with some slope, but a few greens have interesting shaping shy of the surfaces.  Below is a look at the 10th green." Sean Arble

on Flickr

SA10Approach on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:09:27 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 11:33:53 PM »
11    Uthek (Formidable)    5     561

Elevation11 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route11 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"Long 11th 540 yds. " Paul Turner

on Flickr

"3 pulpit greens on view.  11th, 12th and 14th.  I tried the run up shot to the 11th, but the bank is really too steep for the shot." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"The great par 5s continue with the 11th where it is OB to the right and a hard cut is needed again." Noel Freeman

"Just what the player needs at the end of a long par 5. The pitch uphill is treacherous, because behind the green is an even steeper drop-off with penal rough." Ulrich Mayring

on Flickr

"What followed was another long par 5.  After hitting my drive I did wait for the Pimms, but the service in England is not renown for its promptness. Feeling disappointed and thirsty, I trudged onward and as it turned out upward.  The green is on a high shelf making it difficult to hold." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"Taken from the 12th tee." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"The 11th green where I hit a brilliant 7 iron to 15 feet below the flag after Tony's brilliant drive down the middle of the fairway only to find out we'd played the wrong ball." Bryan Izatt

on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:15:25 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 11:39:41 PM »
12    Dowragh (Watertank)    4     317

Elevation12 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route12 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"Lovely 12th.  Hit a shot straight over the number; never saw it again." Paul Turner

on Flickr

on Flickr

"Much like O.L and L.O, the 12 & 13th at Perranporth are a marvel to behold. Totalling less than 600 yards and 8 in par, its a job just to read the guide let alone decide on a strategy." Sean Arble

on Flickr

on Flickr

"The aiming post on the 12th, where you can lose a ball hitting it over said post." Bryan Izatt

on Flickr

The 12th green.

on Flickr

SA12Approach on Flickr

SA12Green on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:27:07 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 11:46:23 PM »
13    Perran Gwel (Perran View)    4     294

Elevation13 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route13 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"Stunning 13th.  What a back drop.  It's driveable, 300 downhill, but you have to hit the perfect shot and be a bit lucky." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"Lovely jubbly!" Paul Turner

on Flickr

"3 tier green here: low-high-low." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"The 13th reaches the closest point to the ocean (although like Pennard the course is in the sky albeit probably only 100 feet or so--again like Pac Dunes).  We played the 13th into the setting sun over Perranporth beach which is one of the most fabulous views in golf.  The tri level green is another Braid special. Who creates all of these blind shots and then these crazy greens???" Noel Freeman

"#13" Sean Arble

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

"Deja vu - the rear of the green is a mirror image to the front of the green.  That can only mean one thing - low on the ends and high in the middle!  Beau Desert anyone?" Sean Arble

on Flickr

SA13Green on Flickr

SA13GreenLookingBack on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:46:26 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 11:53:31 PM »
14    Gwella Braid (Braid's Best)    4     394

Elevation14 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route14 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"14th, turning left.  395 yard uphill." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"14th green." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"The 14th was when I realized Paul Turner was a sick man, a spiteful man!  He hit a hook that went over a sand hill and yet somehow despite being 50 yards left wound up in the middle of the fairway.  Yes, the middle of the fairway for a hole that asked for a fade.  Now, I don't know what divine power was in control here, I mean I prayed at the Church of St. Enodoc earlier that day for my golf game was shite and was rewarded by an amazing eagle at the 16th at St.Enodoc but this was spectacular.  Paul Turner can tell the story but there was someone listening to me in that heavenly church on hallowed turf." Noel Freeman

"According to the hole name this is Braid's best. The drive has to be squeezed between dunes and a sheer drop-off to the right." Ulrich Mayring

"The approach is long and to a small target. Many too cute shots end up on the false front, which seems to enable, but will actually subvert any fancy ground-game options." Ulrich Mayring

"Definitive proof of Perranporth's provenance." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"Yet another plateau green. The 14th from the back of the green." Sean Arble

on Flickr

"Some golfers on the 14th tee.  Looks like a good place for a wind farm." Bryan Izatt

on Flickr

"The 14th green looks daunting." Bryan Izatt

on Flickr

SA14Green on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:10:14 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 11:58:21 PM »
15    Ugerys A-Les (Wide Open)    4     356

Elevation15 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route15 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"At 15 we get a wide open fairway, though it doesn't appear so from the tee.  Essentially, the 15th and 10th (to the left) are combined fairways.  The hole isn't great, but its a welcome relief at a perfect time in the back nine." Sean Arble

SA15Drive on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:32:18 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 12:03:49 AM »
16    An Knogh (The Mound)    3     211

Elevation16 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Route16 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"Super par 3 16th.  210 yards downhill." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"Lots of crap on the right.  Green is severe." Paul Turner

on Flickr

"The lone par 3 on the back nine caps off a very good set.  Playing downhill and in firm conditions, one must figure a landing spot and hope for the best." Sean Arble

on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:49:04 PM by Garland Bayley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back