News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Decker

Re: US golf round trip reccomendation
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 10:53:10 PM »
Anders,

I have been fortunate to play a great deal of golf in this part of the country and I feel you would not be dissapointed based on quality, access, and price. 

Networking on this site could help land you a few rounds at some very nice courses in Chicago, so spend a few days playing those and visiting the city.

Day three/four start heading south towards Michigan then try and knock some of these off.  The courses with an asteric are the heavy hitters and deserve attention towards getting on them.  They are listed loosely in geographical order.

Lost Dunes
Dunes Club*
Point O'Woods
Hawkshead

Arcadia Bluffs
Crystal Downs*
Kingsley Club*
Walloon Lake
Belvedere
Bay Harbor
The Heather

Washkamo
Grand Hotel

Timberstone
Greywalls*
Sweetgrass

Oneida
North Shore Golf Club
Lawsonia Links
Pine Hills
Whistling Straits-Straits
Whistling Straits-Irish
BlackWolf Run-River
Erin Hills
Milwaukee CC
Bluemound
Ozaukee

Back to O'Hare with 20+ rounds of great midwestern golf under your belt!

PM for more details.

Jon

Jud_T

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 06:17:07 AM »
I'd put a star by Lost Dunes, Lawsonia and Milwakee CC as well.  In Chicago, if possible, you want to try to see Chicago GC, Shoreacres, Olympia Fields North and South, Skokie, Old Elm and Knollwood.  Beyond these and also of interest are Black Sheep, Beverly, Exmoor, Medinah, North Shore, Flossmoor and Glenview.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anders Rytter

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
SAS stopped flying to Seattle a few years back. I think i will do Bandon as a guy trip when i do it, i'm planning to do this one with my wife.

Thanks for all the region/Course suggestions. Lots of places to see the coming years. Think i will work on the Chicago, Traverse city, Eastern Wisconsin trip. Thanks again.

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »
Anders:

There is a car ferry that will take you across Lake Michigan from Ludington to Manitowoc or vice versa. Ludington is fairly close to Arcadia Bluffs, Kingsley Club and Crystal Downs. Manitowoc is close to Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run.

Here is a link to the schedule and fare information.
http://www.ssbadger.com/home.aspx

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »
Anders - Be aware that summer in the USA is normally a lot warmer and muggier than GB/Ireland.  My brother-in-law's parents from Ireland visited NJ in August and almost didn't make it due to the heat.  Temps over 100F with humidity aren't unusual.

That said, the Pacific coast is normally nice and cool and might be more to your liking.

We're thrilled to have you visit!

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 03:36:58 AM »
Anders
  You might want to consider New England for your trip.

The Country Club, Myopia Hunt, Salem, Winchester, Essex County, Charles River, Belmont, Oak Hill, Worcester, Brae Burn, Blue Hill. Boston GC, Cohasset, Eastward Ho!, Oyster Harbors, Sankaty Head, Nantucket GC, Concord cc, Crumpin-Fox, Taconic, CC of Pittsfield, Old Sandwich, George Wright, Granite Links, Hyannisport Club, Kernwood, The International, Kittansett, Marion, Longmeadow, Oakley, Tedesco, TPC Boston, Vesper, Vineyard GC, Wellesley, Whittensville,Wianno, Blackstone National, Red Tail and Wollaston.

That's just Massachusetts. Maine ,New Hampshire , Rhode Island and Vermont can be just as impressive. There is no other area on the planet that offers such great golf in such a small area. If you come up this way, let me know. I may be able to help you with access.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

David Lott

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »
Ok, posters, its time for some of our group to pony up some invitations for Anders to play at the private clubs where you belong in the Midwest or Northeast. He seems far too polite to ask.

Unfortunately, Anders, I am no longer a member at any Midwestern clubs, having moved to South Carolina a few years ago. You do not want to make South Carolina the focus of a golf trip in August--way too hot. Anyway I'm in Wisconsin then to avoid the heat.

Europeans are very hospitable to traveling American golfers--how about some reciprocation?

My summer home is about 2 hours drive from Kohler, Anders. If you decide to go there, I will come down to play with you. I'm also within range of Brown County and Lawsonia, two good public courses. (Koehler courses are resort courses, more expensive and harder to access unless you are staying at the resort.)

As people have noted above, you could spend the whole trip in Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan and have nothing but great golf. Same is true of NYC area north through New England. Less outstanding public golf in that area though.

David Lott

David Lott

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Anders temperatures over 100 in the upper midwest and northeast in August are highly unusual. For example, average highs in Kohler in August are about 80. Only three days in August in Kohler have ever exceeded 100 degrees for the last century. Two in these days were in 1948 and the other in 2001. It can be very hot, but that is relatively rare. Hotter than Denmark though.
David Lott

SL_Solow

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 11:19:38 PM »
If Chicago is on your itinerary contact me.  Assuming I am in town, I will be happy to host.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back