News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Tacoma Country and Golf Club's Punchbowl - Photos
« on: March 05, 2012, 02:00:32 PM »
A dandy hole on a solid, bread-and-butter golf course, the 16th is a reachable par five playing 497 from the tips.  Demanding from the tee where any miss might result in a layup second that finds the bottom of a small valley, from which the punch-bowl appears alps-like.

Aerial:

From the valley 100 yards out (cell phone camera, sorry) the top of the flag is barely visible at the left edge of the three fronting right-hand bunkers:

Looking back at a birdie putt.  Just enough fronting fairway to kick the ball onto the green:

An excellent use of a small ridge near the green, made relevant by sensible bunkering of the tee shot.

Bogey

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:49:41 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Anthony Gray

Re: Tacoma Country and Golf Club's Punchbowl
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »

Great thread. I like the way the entrance is pinched.

Anthony

Mike Hendren

Re: Tacoma Country and Golf Club's Punchbowl - Photos
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »
Bump, since the epitome of insecurity is having Anthony as the only poster for a thread you started. :'(  That and it took me quite some time to get the phographs from my phone onto this page.

John Hardbottle III is a member and has overseen work on the course.  Interestingly, the club's professional from 1910 to 1915 was Long Jim Barnes.

I love this hole.  Your thoughts?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

BVince

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
Michael,

I was a member there for a few years so I am very familiar with the hole.  For a par 5 that plays only 497 from the championship tees, it remarkably holds up well in relation to par. 

Tee shot - For the average distance member, it is a straight away tee shot at the right edge of the left bunker which opens the hole nicely.  For the longer hitters, you must hit a cut shot in an attempt to carry the right bunker.  If you fail to hit that shot correctly, the large fir trees will knock down the ball and create a difficult chance at par.  If the long hitter carries the right bunker from the tee, the approach into the green is approximately 190 yards.

Layup - If you chose to layup, it is important to hit the ball down the slope to achieve a flat lie.  However, from the flattest portion of the layup, it leaves a blind 3rd shot from about 100-125 into the green making it more difficult to take advantage of the hole.  Adding to the difficulty, the greens are normally quick which makes it important to be on the correct side of the green to have an aggressive attempt at birdie.

Going for it in two - A well placed tee shot allows for a long iron, hybrid, or fairway wood approach into the green that is bunkered to the right and immediately off the left side of the green.  The 3 bunkers on the right, short of the green, are as sure of a birdie buster as any, as it is an awkward 40-70 distance for the approach off an uphill lie in the sand.  Any approach that is pulled or drawing to the left will catch the large oak tree that overhangs the pinched fairway.  Hitting the oak tree is not too bad as it is an easier recovery from the left side due to the more elevated terrain.  Under most conditions the "run-up" areas in front of the greens play soft, so 85% of the playing season requires the player to carry the approach onto the green.  During the hotter summer months, ariel approach shots that land short and right of the green can bound onto the putting surface.

Green - This green primarily moves from back right to front left.  Going over the green is a mistake as any chip into back pin positions will run away from the player sharply.  Front left pin is the most difficult because the player has less room during the approach for an optimal putt.  Right side pin locations yield the most birdies and eagles as the contours are most subtle in those locations.

The 16th is a good hole that can be taken advantage of, especially by the longer hitters that hit a great tee shot.  There are a few elements that protect the hole from low scoring.  It is important to miss the ball on the left side of the green as it allows for the best chance of recovery.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:59:14 PM »
Bump, since the epitome of insecurity is having Anthony as the only poster for a thread you started. :'(  That and it took me quite some time to get the phographs from my phone onto this page.

John Hardbottle III is a member and has overseen work on the course.  Interestingly, the club's professional from 1910 to 1915 was Long Jim Barnes.

I love this hole.  Your thoughts?

Bogey

I wish there were more threads like this. It is what the site should be about.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 03:28:23 PM »
I'm a big fan of bunker like that one short right. The player can't half go for it, he either has to (or should anyway) go for it and get over the bunker or lay up short. And the fact that not going for it really leaves an awful shot makes him really think. Far too many will think they can carry it, only to hit in it with only the overestimation of their abilities to blame.

The fact that the bunker looks like it cuts into the green but is actually way short is a nice bit of disguise. I do think it'd be better if the run up played firm which would bring the landing area back toward the bunker, but it looks a fine hole as is.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:49:49 PM »

I like the way if you try to get home in two and miss you are punished. Nice risk/reward.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back