News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Van Egmond

Re: Tiger to Design New Course in Cabo...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »

Wonder if this one will actually get finished.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
I had been told when I was on site last year that Phil Mickelson was going to do the second course on the east part of the property.  .....Paging Greg Tallman, we need verification on this!
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

George Freeman

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 03:33:55 PM »
I don't recall how much more oceanfront land the development owns, but it will be interesting to see if Tiger (assuming this report is accurate) gets any oceanfront real estate and if so, how much.  The picture with the red arrow is quite a ways from the ocean I believe (that is the first hole at the original course).
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »
Heard he is doing it so he can get his steroids on the cheap....

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 04:12:02 PM »
Golf Magazine is saying this is a false report. I'll agree with them until further notified.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »
I had been told when I was on site last year that Phil Mickelson was going to do the second course on the east part of the property.  .....Paging Greg Tallman, we need verification on this!

Mickelson is out. The second course at Diamante is not the course Phil was originally supposed to do anyway. With the success of their timeshare/fractional product tied to the Dunes Course the developer had an opportunity to move forward with another product that in most previous materials was labled "future development".

The first leaks were that Paul Cowley would get the course under his own name and be a big part of the entire "Resort at Diamante" offering that will have a spearate entrance from the "community" entrance and only a handful of timeshare owners (i.e. those that bought early into the "resort") will have access to the Dunes Course. Then came word from a third party that perhaps a bigger splash, in the form of a "marketing name", was being sought

I can assure you that the source for the linked article is in the timeshare sales part of the equation and has absolutely no authority to release such information. Played Diamante with their top marketing guy on Saturday and mum's the word on who will do the second course though it will start sometime this year more than likely. Look for an official and far more credible announcement in about 14 to 28 days.

Not saying the announcement will contain different information...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:20:48 PM by Greg Tallman »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 04:19:50 PM »
Golf Magazine is saying this is a false report. I'll agree with them until further notified.

Ever watch Lee Corso on College Gameday on ESPN?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »
I don't recall how much more oceanfront land the development owns, but it will be interesting to see if Tiger (assuming this report is accurate) gets any oceanfront real estate and if so, how much.  The picture with the red arrow is quite a ways from the ocean I believe (that is the first hole at the original course).

None of the land is oceanfront. The look and feel of the course, regardless of architect, will be as though it was in a different world from the Dunes Course which is not all bad.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 05:00:57 PM »
Carts or Limping Only?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »

Ever watch Lee Corso on College Gameday on ESPN?

You mean this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M35SPhRD0Iw

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 06:03:51 PM »
Carts or Limping Only?

Despite our differences Terry, very funny ;D ;D ;D

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 06:05:09 PM »
Is there a Perkins at the turn?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 06:19:39 PM »
Heard he is doing it so he can get his steroids on the cheap....

And lap dances?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 07:19:08 PM »
I heard you'll get a free HGH injection with each green fee!!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 07:25:30 PM »
Tough crowd and for the record from one of the principals...

We are not sure how that got out, be we don’t have an agreement with a designer for the second course at this time

Greg Tallman

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 06:59:39 PM »
Without official word from the developer... Tiger will in fact be doing the second course at Diamante and perhaps more. He was in town today and his business guys are in for the rest of the week.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »
Maybe they'll name the holes after mistresses

Hole 8 - Joslyn James - hit it between the mounds...

Hole 12 - Mindy Lawton - flat as a pancake...waitress...
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jed Peters

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 10:38:33 PM »
Undoubtedly a cheap pick up for the developer. Probably less than phil at this point?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 10:53:35 PM »
Undoubtedly a cheap pick up for the developer. Probably less than phil at this point?

::)

Ben Sims

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 11:01:06 PM »
Aside from Tiger, this affects a pretty cool cat that I met at the GIS.  Beau Welling is(?) Tiger's lead designer and is also an avid curler.  In fact, he is the president of the Palmetto Curling Club (yes, a curling club in South Carolina).  I think Beau has worked with Fazio in years past.  He was one of the nicest people I met at the show, and was genuine in his invite to come up and "skip a few rocks."

I hope they get the work.  

Steve Lapper

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 05:50:05 AM »
Tough crowd and for the record from one of the principals...

We are not sure how that got out, be we don’t have an agreement with a designer for the second course at this time

Golf Odyssey (David Baum) first broke this story a few months back.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jud_T

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 07:56:10 AM »
This is going to be interesting to see what they do, particularly as it's the first course under his name and they have to try to hold their own against a celebrated layout on a less dramatic piece of property.  On a side note, Palmetto and Curling are a combo that sounds pretty damn good good to me, Like Great Lake Pizza and a boutique Syrah...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Tallman

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 02:20:36 PM »

That asumption would be WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY off the mark. I highly doubt exact terms are made public but the deal has many levels of participation for Tiger and his team.

When you think about the reality as Jud touches on I really think Tiger was just about the only name that could generate any real buzz with this new course. It is not a piece of land that the "it" guys, Doak, C&C, Hanse would even consider and what other name could create excitement for what might well be a rather pedestrian resort course?

I do not mean to say the land is terrible, it is not, but it does not compare to that which Paul and Davis had to work with in the dunes or the land Jack and even Weskopf had at Cabo del Sol.

I am sure Tiger (Beau Welling) will create a very attractive and well received course that will continue the amazing succes story that is Diamante. One has to commend that team for battling through and beating some pretty long odds in simply getting the first course done and then having any measure of success in their real estate/timeshare product in this market.

If it's good for Cabo it's good for all of us... perhaps a site tour during the Tequila Cup???? 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 02:30:42 PM »
Maybe they'll name the holes after mistresses

Hole 8 - Joslyn James - hit it between the mounds...

Hole 12 - Mindy Lawton - flat as a pancake...waitress...

My favorite line from the scandal:  While in Australia, Tiger Woods reportedly explored the Uchitel Peninsula. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back