News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: What a "Short" Hole Really Is.
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2012, 04:13:35 PM »
Some confusion about the "short hole" concept may stem from the fact that occasionally early articles referred to the 11th at The Old Course as the short hole at St.Andrews.

A short hole was important in CBM's scheme of things because he believed courses should present the golfer with a golf holes of great variety, including variety of distance, from "short" to "long."   It seems a simple point - that each hole should be of a unique distance - but it was a key mechanism used by CBM to try and attain variety.

I don't think the "short hole" is one of the holes closely modeled after any hole abroad.  CBM mentioned Brancaster but with visibility, but I don't know if they got the green configuration from Brancaster or somewhere else, or if it was perhaps original.  Most of CBM's holes had conceptual similarities but weren't anything close to actual copies, and I think this is one of those holes. 

I do find it fascinating, though, that Ross may have dabbled with CBM's horseshoe green concept on at least a few of his short holes.   Does anyone know whether Ross actually planned for these particular contours?  Or could they have been added through later changes or perhaps by the builder? 

Here is what H.J. Whigham wrote in 1909 about short holes generally and about NGLA's shortest hole in particular:

It should be easy enough to make a short hole; yet how few really good short holes are there in existence. The first requisite —and this is very important—is that not only the flag should be visible from the tee, but, if possible, every bit of ground between the tee and the flag. One ought to play always for a two at a short hole, and one can only do that with any degree of accuracy when the flag and the ground round about it are visible. The much boasted Maiden at Sandwich is really a very indifferent hole because a three is very easy and a two is largely a matter of luck, since in playing from the tee the entire putting green is invisible. In the second place, it is well to vary the short holes in length so as to get every kind of shot. On the National links the shortest hole is about 140 yards. The shot is played from high ground across a wide bunker on to a small plateau which is entirely surrounded by bunkers. Where the hole is so short it should be made as difficult as possible; consequently the little plateau is undulating and slopes off on every side toward the bunkers. The nicest accuracy is necessary in order to keep the ball on the green. With the wind behind the shot must be played with a good deal of back spin. The bunker in front of the green is deep and sheer, so that it is quite impossible for a topped ball to run through. The bunkers round about will not be so severe because even a well played shot may just run over the green and a recovery should be possible, though difficult. Lastly, the fact that the tee is a good deal higher than the little plateau green makes the distance deceptive, and calls for the most careful judgment.
. . . [discussion of Eden and Redan omitted] . . .
There you have three short holes of three different lengths, each with great individuality and each calling for great accuracy. It would be practically impossible for a bad shot to get near the hole in any case. Notice first, that in each case all the ground between the tee and the flag is visible from the tee, and secondly, that the bunkers are deep and very near the hole. One might almost say that a short hole cannot be a good one unless it has one deep bunker within twenty feet of the flag.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »
Bill,
It's the Hotchkiss School GC, in Lakeville, CT.   

The vista in the left side of the photo was cleared a couple of years ago. There is a stand of Hemlock mixed in with other trees (a few elms) behind the green and the school is trying to preserve it. There may be more thinning over time.

The wind at this site is very hard to gauge. You're looking north, and it's not unusual for the flag to be limp when a gale blows in from the south or west. It can be two, even three clubs difference day to day. It's also a regular occurence for the wind to swirl around when the lake is cold and the air is hot, and vice versa. 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

David Harshbarger

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
Jim,

Is the Hotchkiss school where Banks latched onto Raynor, and launched himself into GCA?

Dave
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Bill Brightly

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »
Yes it is, Banks was a professor there, got to know Raynor, and then started working for him.

The picture Jim posted of Hotchkiss (Raynor) looks so much like Sleppy Hollow (Macdonald) and when I see the old pictures of Banks' first solo effort (Hackensack,) the similarities are striking. I can almost here Macdonald teaching Raynor on where and how to build a proper "Short" and Raynor mimicing those words to Steamshovel.

Jim, any chance you can post a recent photo with the trees removed?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2012, 11:17:12 PM »

Bill,

What I didn't make clear is the view in the left half of the photo looked like the view in the right half of the photo before it was thinned out. The photo I posted is how it looks today.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:24:55 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bill Brightly

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
OK, I get it. So what we need is a skilled photshop expert who can show what it would look like if more trees were removed!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back